Opinions on a rod.

Oryx

Alright, here goes.

I have used a spinning only set up all my life. I am totally interested in baitcasting, and cant wait to try it!

I have the reel already, thank you Gagnon's. A LH shimano Citica. It was at the right price point, has decent reviews and I like how it reels. Already spooled up with 30lb powerpro SS8 timber brown. My dilemma now is which rod to get. A 2 pc rod is a must, and would like medium heavy action. So far the choices have been narrowed down to the Shimano Compre, Shimano Clarus and the Abu Garcia Veritas. I feel I am leaning towards the Compre, as this is what I have holding up my stradic, but would like opinions on which to get.

I have held them all, they all feel decent....:wallbash: :wallbash:

Cheers

J

The veritas is a better rod at that price point IMO. The compre has a limited lifetime warranty. I agree with GBW, go to the store and try the reel on both rods and see which one feels better. If they are close decide whether the warranty (shimano) or quality (Abu) are more important.

I'm all for sensitivity, but how much do you need in a baitcaster? In most cases the more sensitive a rod is the more fragile it will be. If I am mostly fishing fast, using cranks and spinerbaits I don't give much though to the sensitivity of the rod.

Edited by kickingfrog

I thought I read there were problems with those Veritas rods breaking??? Was I misinformed? I agree with Kickingfrog on this as well, but I guess it depends on what the OP intends to use it for.

I believe the verdict was the one with problems, but i could be wrong. I know i had a verdict and it broke at the ferrule. For me sensitivity is important, because i use bait caters for all my fishing styles, includeing finesse.

Thanks for all the input,

I will be using it probably 50% of the time, for pretty much everything. texas to cranks to Spinnerbaits to Top water.

As I only have 1 rod, and this will be my second, it will need to be a jack of all trades. I love my Compre spinning Rod, and am leaning towards that one in the BC version.

I know my options would be greatly increased if a 1 pc was doable, unfortunately, not too much in the 2 pc BC.

I'm partial to St. Croix myself but try the reel on a bunch of different rods. You'll fall in love with the rod that has the best balance for that reel. Another vote for 7' MHF for an all-around rod.

I have a first generation Citica on a Compre rod and it's holding up well... combo purchased in '93

I believe the verdict was the one with problems, but i could be wrong. I know i had a verdict and it broke at the ferrule. For me sensitivity is important, because i use bait caters for all my fishing styles, includeing finesse.

brought in a bunch last year and had issues with breaking on 3/4 of them, read some reviews stating the same as well.

Need the 2 pc for space considerations, I drive a car that frequently has 2 small kids, and for storage....

I see the point as I too have a car and kids but my kids know not to touch dad's fishing rods when in the car or van :whistling:

My only concern with a 2pc baitcaster rod is that if it's not alligned 100% then your casting distance will drop big time. for that reason I still went with a 1pc for all my BC rod's.

Seriously. dunno.gif

Yeah. I make sure my 2pc spinning are in line as best as I can get and if they aren't I can tell from the casting distance. I wouldn't want a BC one (known for distance) to be hampered by it not being in line