River brown trout?

Locnar

I went for a hike along a local creek today, decided to bring my ultra light and a little spinner. Didn't catch anything, but I did see and attempt to catch a really big brown trout. It was around 2ft long, must be one from Lake O. I tried and I tried, couldn't get him to chomp down, instead he eventually booked it. So I followed him a little bit, and gave up. How do you get these guys to bite? I had a similar thing happen back in the spring with some Rainbows... weren't interested in worms, roe, spinner, cranks... nadda.

My guess is that you probably spooked him. however brown trout are extremely picky so you may have to change it to a more natural presentation. Since I know the creek you fish I would say that stealth is key, try treading very lightly starting about a 100ft from the river.

Natural presentation eh, like a worm, small hook, light line, bobber?

I went for a hike along a local creek today, decided to bring my ultra light and a little spinner.

Used to get browns near headwaters this time of year with same setup.

Instead of casting by logs or in deeper pools i found the browns in riffles or small faster water.

Think they were attracted to higher oxygen levels of cooler,rocky, faster water.

Would travel upstream and cast upstream about 45 degrees from my position.

Reel in fast enough to spin blade and keep lure of bottom. The noise of rocky, fast water made stealth less of issue.

Did this by accident and worked the best of all methods at this time of year.

This technique worked best on north Credit, Duffins, Oshawa, Ganaraska, etc...

Good Luck.

Used to get browns near headwaters this time of year with same setup.

Instead of casting by logs or in deeper pools i found the browns in riffles or small faster water.

Think they were attracted to higher oxygen levels of cooler,rocky, faster water.

Would travel upstream and cast upstream about 45 degrees from my position.

Reel in fast enough to spin blade and keep lure of bottom. The noise of rocky, fast water made stealth less of issue.

Did this by accident and worked the best of all methods at this time of year.

This technique worked best on north Credit, Duffins, Oshawa, Ganaraska, etc...

Good Luck.

Oh yeah? Hmmm, that just may have been my problem... I was working the pools and logs, which a few times turned into a regret. Stupid sticks... I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow morning up north of Courtice. I think it's Farewell I'm hittin' up. Just south of Taunton, do you think that's north enough... or would I be better off driving a bit further?

Oh yeah? Hmmm, that just may have been my problem... I was working the pools and logs, which a few times turned into a regret. Stupid sticks... I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow morning up north of Courtice. I think it's Farewell I'm hittin' up. Just south of Taunton, do you think that's north enough... or would I be better off driving a bit further?

Farewell? You need a larger flow for that method to work.

If your around Taunton try down east around #57 (Bowmanville Creek)or branches of Wilmot, Ganaraska by 115. Hopefully you find access. You definitely need a map. Skip Farewell Creek though.

If your around Taunton try down east around #57 (Bowmanville Creek)or branches of Wilmot, Ganaraska by 115. Hopefully you find access. You definitely need a map. Skip Farewell Creek though.

Alrighty, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll give Bonerville a run through, hopefully with some success... Trouts always seems to evade me. If all goes well, that will change. Thanks again.

Alrighty, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll give Bonerville a run through, hopefully with some success... Trouts always seems to evade me. If all goes well, that will change. Thanks again.

I catch inland browns in my backyard, and the bigger the bait, the better.. Even for 12-14" fish. I have caught them on jerkbaits as big as 6", 3/8oz spinnerbaits and even a zara spook. Browns are the smallmouth bass of the trout world, and usually survive on chub minnows in the 6-10" range.