Rice Lake Opener

Steelcat

My dad, my brother, and I arrived at 797-BOAT Rental in Bewdley at around 645am. After we got our boat, we head to the spot where we had some luck last year. We were lucky to be one of the first boat on the lake, therefore we were able to drift around to locat the Crappie. After drifting for like 20 minutes, we managed to locat them. The bite weren't that frequent, for the first 2 hours, we were able to catch 20 of them. The size were from 8 inches to 12 inches. My dad caught 4 Largemouth at the same location. At around 9, people started to show up, boats didn't really care if you were fishing, they just drove a couple feet away from our float. After that the fish disappeared. We kept casting until 12, and we finally decided to leave the now extremely crowded area, and head to another location. There were no boat around, except one which was pretty far away. Once again we drifted, and after 5 minutes we found yet another school of Crappie. This time they were in feeding frenzy, Crappie after Crappie; we had many double headers, and one almost triple headers. The size were from 6 to 12 inches. Caught around 15 Largemouth (kinda feel bad about the bass being caught at spawning season). After an hour of boat free time, boats started to rush onto the spot where we were fishing, once again, they drove right on top of our float, and the fish disappeared. At around 2, we decided to head home, our arms and backs were sore from all the hook sets. Today is by far one of the best Panfish season open.

We were using Pink/White tube, as well as minnow like bait.

We are looking forward to a wonderful 2007 season.

The beauty of the early morning Rice Lake

p4281254akf2.th.jpg

The Canadian Goose are heading back home

p4281256ayr1.th.jpg

First fish from Rice Lake in 2007

p4281257ayf5.th.jpg

The first Crappie (target fish of the day) of 2007

p4281263auf5.th.jpg

A little Perch

p4281306aod6.th.jpg]

Edited by Steelcat

Oh i forgot to say, one of the Crappie actually attacked my float as if it's eating some giant juicy bug on the surface of the water..

I had the same thing happen to me today. Those little buggers were agressive like crazy . I was catching them on a yozuri pins minnow. Was alot of fun. We weere catching them in 3 -4 ft of water. we were around bewdley and thge river inlet. We got some nice slabs though. Looks like you had an awesome day as well. Little bit on the cold side though.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for the report! I have to give these crappies a try next year. Fished for them in the fall at canal road and did quite well but never from a boat.