Trolling with an electric

ninepointer

I want to hear from those who actually use their electrics for trolling.

I'd like to do more slow walleye trolling on my inland shield lake, but my old 20 hp 2-stroke sucks for trolling, yet is still fine for getting around. Considering that I already have a 30lb. thrust Minn Kota on my transom (I currently use the electric for positioning and the boat is a 16' plain-jane bench-seat aluminum), I'm thinking that something like a 55lb. 12v transom-mount Minn Kota Traxxis might meet my trolling needs, which would typically be 3 hours trolling at most. Getting a bigger electric would certainly be more affordable for me than getting a new outboard.

What are your experiences & suggestions?

I'd recommend a power drive bowmount strictly for trolling. I don't really like the power drive units, but I LOVE mine for slow trolling eyes. Its the best thing since sliced bread!

I can sit in my seat at the tiller, and have full control of direction and speed as well as both hands free to fish. No need to be constantly steering a tiller from the back, while the bow gets blown all over. The bowmount has way more control than a transom mount electric.

I set mine straight ahead, and steer with my main engine (tiller). 99% of the time this works great. If its real windy, I will have to steer a little with the foot pedal, but its gotta be pretty windy.

I can troll a good 5-6hrs non stop at 3/4 throttle with my 55lb into a good wind, up to 2mph, no problem. Trolling with the wind is a piece of cake, and I use much less battery that way too.

Just my thoughts....I use my bowmount strictly for trolling 99% of the time!

S.

If its in the budget, get the ipilot... Wicked awesome!!!

+1

It's the best trolling system there is. It has 20 speed settings - 0 thru 10, in 1/2 increments so you can get perfect lure action, even if the wind is affecting you. It will steer straight ahead, or hold a compass heading or follow a route that you program into it. If there's a shoreline, weedline or contour line that you like to follow, run it once and the iDrive will remember it, and follow it forward and backward, all day long.

Many guys prefer the foot control, especially if they're usually up on the foredeck, casting. But for trolling, the handheld remote is better; it works from anywhere in the boat that you want to be.

Once you get onto the fish or need to fight a fish, hit the "anchor" button and the iDrive will hold you right there in that spot, despite wind or current.