Pier fishing for Salmon

davey buoy

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but now the season is beginning again. Other than a roe bag at the bottom,what brings you most success. Personally I like the Lymon lures and #28 panther black spinner baits. Bigger than most people would use but any one who have tried them, killer arsenal. Float and fly fishing is a whole different ball game.

I use others as well but will leave that for later! Let us know if you wish?. Lol.

Out on the pier various spoons and cranks, it's more all about timing. Big juicy ball of skein in the lower stretches. Roe bags aren't really effective, most fish caught on them are salmon running into the line, then sliding down the line to the hook.

You have to try the often overlooked Canadian Wobbler but I can't stress enough the effectiveness of the small (about 1.5" long) casting spoons from Moonshine Lures. One charge up and they glow incredibly bright for hours. They can be hard to find but I have seen them at Bass Pro and Rainbow Sports in Waterloo.

You have to try the often overlooked Canadian Wobbler but I can't stress enough the effectiveness of the small (about 1.5" long) casting spoons from Moonshine Lures. One charge up and they glow incredibly bright for hours. They can be hard to find but I have seen them at Bass Pro and Rainbow Sports in Waterloo.

How do you charge one of those moonshine spoons?.,and how long?.

Only a few seconds with a flashlight or I now use a flashlight app on my phone that uses the built in LED and they glow way brighter and last much longer than the popular glow cleos. They cast out a country mile as well.

When Owen Sound was on it was glow cleos , ping-a-tees or flutter spoons. On Lake O piers I use the glow cleos and rattle traps alot.It definitely is more of a timing thing than lure selection as the early arrivals are much more aggresive.They are already getting a few out east off some pierheads.

As stated, a few seconds with a flashlight works fine but I've found that one of the best ways to get a long-lasting charge on a glow spoon is to use a camera flash. I've used one from an old SLR or even an old point and shoot film camera.

X2 on the Moonshine spoons...Cleos are decent but the Moonshines hold a charge for much longer. Rattle Traps and J13s are my go-to lures for daylight fishing.

Edited by wallacio

In the dark glow cleo's, or rattle raps especially the colours I see other people catching them on, why try to reinvent the wheel?

Location plays a huge part too. Just after dawn at a certain river mouth you will want to have the smallest skunk pattern kwikfish you can buy, and about 300yds of line because when a king goes out to the lake you aren't going to stop it too quickly. A few miles downshore at another river mouth when the sun pokes up you best be using a perch pattern blue fox... Once the sun is up there you need to break out the wardens worry in the correct pattern.

Of course I haven't caught a salmon in just over a year so my info might outdated LOL. Damn near time to go through my stash of lures and order those I am out of.

As stated, a few seconds with a flashlight works fine but I've found that one of the best ways to get a long-lasting charge on a glow spoon is to use a camera flash. I've used one from an old SLR or even an old point and shoot film camera.

X2 on the Moonshine spoons...Cleos are decent but the Moonshines hold a charge for much longer. Rattle Traps and J13s are my go-to lures for daylight fishing.

The rattle traps are very similar to the cotton cordell super spots I have ,and have produced very well over the years.

Down by the river next to my house, I have seen Newfies catch'em on pieces of sponge ... apparently they aren't very picky. Just gotta piss'em off sometimes.

I agree,usually I will cast up to 3 times in the same spot,and if there there they will strike mostly out of anger I believe. Although having said that I get a lot of follow ups as well. Curiosity? hmmmm.