Front Deck Boat Seat

Matt Janes

I am looking for opinions on a front deck seat for my boat. Should I opt for a procrasting seat (stool type) or just a regular boat seat? I see that most fishing boats on the water tend to have the stool type so there must be a good reason why people opt for that type.

Thanks,

Matt

And this is just my opinion. A regular seat is much more comfortable, however, the reason people want a raised front casting deck is so that they can see (sight fishing) what they're casting at a see the action. It's usually easier to cast accurately while standing. I have used the one on a bud's boat and I find it comfortable enough to fish a good part of the day. The only thing that you should be concerned about at the beginning is the type of boat you have and the pound thrust of your bowmount. I have a 70 pound 24volt and I know that if I inadvertently power it up at full throttle at a 90 degree angle, it'll knock me off balance. I'll be buying one this week so I'll know how many PFD re-arm kits I'll need before I get used to it. :D

I use both in my 15ft side console.Even tho its a wide 15,if you are using the stool and running the trolling motor with your foot AND the guy in the back suddenly moves around,its easy to lose your balance because for the most part you are only leaning on the stool,after couple of hours my back is killing me as well. If you have a larger heavier boat the rockiness is not an issue.

vance

I have a 14.5 foot princecraft resorter with a side console. It came with two seats and I am going to purchase 2 more. I am debating on whether to just get 2 regular boat seats or if I should get a stool for the front deck. I could see how the stool would be less comfortable though especially with my lower back not being the best to begin with. I think I am leaning towards regular seats.

I prefer the butt seat myself as it keeps you in a standing position, but I only use it for support on windy days when the boat is bouncing around.

It just helps to keep things a bit steadier in rough water.

Edited by lew

I have a 14"Smokercraft with a built in deck from the seat forward at the Front & from the seat back at the Back, I have 2 Pedestals & 2 Regular Seats my father uses the Regular Seat in the Back when he comes a long & I used the Regular Seat once, everyone else like the Pedestal Seats, just have the pole the right length that you can lean against it or partly sit on it, that will really help your balance, I have a Motor guide wireless 75lb Thrust, never been out of my boat yet, lol

Tight Lines SBK Gonefishing.gif

I also have a butt seat with taller pedestal and a regular seat with shorter pedestal that I can use in the front of my boat. I use the regular boat seat exclusively. In the 21 years I have owned the boat I only used the butt seat once. Standing/leaning all day is way too hard on my back and knees. If'n I was fishing tourneys it would be a differnt story.

Pedistal butt seat if you like casting...

Regular sit down seat if you like jigging all day..,

Or get both like me.... If I'm going casting I use my high butt seat... If I have 3 people in the boat I use the regular seat.... And if I'm jigging I'll use a regular seat on a seat post...