Putting Up a Pole

Raf

I did the exact same thing for my sister. 16' of pole above ground.

Do all your rigging before you raise the pole(especially the line itself) Check your distance. I ended up having to get the 200' length of clothesline. Use the largest pulley wheel you can find. I think I used 10"(really easy to use, even when full). I put in a cross bar and two 45 degree supports at the top that resemble the older hydropole setups -- thinking of running two lines total.

Three average sized dudes should be able to lift it up. The tallest guy farthest away from the hole, and walk it upright. The strongest guy, closest to the hole, lifts and repositions as it slips into the hole. The last guy is standing on a strong step-ladder, pickup bed, scaffolding, etc. alongside the intended raising line, and helps bring it the last bit vertical.

Fun, fun, fun.

Cheers,

Mark

One good guy out of Maxville Ont should be able to flip that in there all by him self . This is one good thread and like a few others i too find it hilarious , probably because i do this sort of thing for a living and find what is so easy for me to do with our equipment not so easy for others with nothing , its funny to see how we will make do when we have to , trust me if i were close i'd be more then happy to offer up my services for free just to make sure nobody gets hurt , I love this thread tho big time and i say thank you , have fun and becareful .

70-80 lbs? What kinda kaybekker units are ya using there lad!?

Even a ton of feathers weighs a ton!

I expected your advice to be about proper hand protection during the hoist.

The best advice i can offer would be , take off your pants and put on a skirt , up right the pole and grab the butt end firmly in both hands and toss up wards with all your might ........... thats how the Scots do it in Maxville ......... lol .

70-80 lbs? What kinda kaybekker units are ya using there lad!?

Even a ton of feathers weighs a ton!

I expected your advice to be about proper hand protection during the hoist.

cripes, its only 15ft, and looks to be 6-7 inches in diameter in the pic dunno.gif Just be careful of splinters in those lily white hands of yoursdevil.gif

cripes, its only 15ft, and looks to be 6-7 inches in diameter in the pic dunno.gif Just be careful of splinters in those lily white hands of yoursdevil.gif

21.5' long and 10" diameter.. my guesstimate was off -- I updated the post later on. Still, I think 3 guys should be able to manhandle it into place like farsider mentioned (thanks).

..and y'all are welcome for the comic relief. :D

Pole falls on truck cost of repairs $500

Beer for helpers $80

Buddy gets hurt bottle of booze to ease the pain $30

Save the hassle buy a dryer :sarcasm:

AS stated earlier pole looks, shall we say well weathered 3 or 4 guys should be able to stand it in the hole.

Good luck let us know how it goes

Ian

Not trying to steal the thread but heres a little pole job i had fun doing last month , thru it all i needed a 24 foot set of pallet forks ,,, which i made .., to lift a complete roof off and set it over on some poles ..... lol .

Raf, you and a couple buddies can lift that pole up no problem. It might be a little awkward, but totally doable. Dig a big hole and drop it in. Concrete if you want, but I wouldn't bother. Just tamp it in as you back fill it.

s.

One of the most impressive things I saw my ex-father-in-law do, was to replace the hydro poles on his property by himself. Well he did have the aid of his tractor. Dig the hole (by hand) and with a series of ropes and pulleys he'd use the tractor to guide the pole to the hole and lift it into place. Amazing thing to have watched, wish I had some video of that.