Fishing New Waters

mercman

My Brother and I decided to hit some unfamilliar waters on the nearby St Lawerence River.We chose a spot "near" Morrisburg and headed out yesterday at 5am.

I recently added Navionics to my Humminbird and we launched the boat, and scanned the map for what our experience told us should hold fish.We new it was going to be a long morning, and we tried tubes, jigs, plastics, and trolling.We were out for smallies or walleye, what ever we could find.We planned to be off the water around 1PM, to avoid the biggest heat.By 7am, we were taking off the sweaters and long pants, and settleing down in shorts and our lucky matching,fishing shirtswhistling.gif

About 2 hours into it, my Brother hooked into this 8 lb Beauty of a Pike.It totally destroyed the Rapala we had been using for the Smallies. I have never seen a lure be destroyed like that before. Ripped the tail hook out, all the way up the center to the middle treble.Check out the bite marks on the side of this fish.I can just imagine the beast that tried to have it for lunchw00t.gif

100_0076.jpg

Then nothing for 3 hoursdunno.gif

Finally, just as we were getting frustrated, i took out my Cell.Brian asked what the heck i was doing, and i said Watch thisrolleyes.gif

Got Musky Mike on the phone, Told him where we were and he said you see that ------- due west of your position on GPS? I said yup, sure do. He said go there, wait till you see the depth go sharply from --to-- feet, and start trolling in the current,with what we use for walleye.

10 Minutes later i had this 5lber onclapping.gif . We weighed it.It was a hog.I am a big dude, and my arms are not extended, and it was as wide as methumbsup_anim.gif

100_0079.jpg

I guess sometimes, its not what you know, its who you knowcanadian.gif Thanks for the tip Mike. You saved our day out there.

Finally, just as we were getting frustrated, i took out my Cell.Brian asked what the heck i was doing, and i said Watch thisrolleyes.gif

Got Musky Mike on the phone,

Sheesh Paul, 1/2 the fun of fishing new water is figuring it out, finding the structure and what the fish are looking for.

If your gonna call a buddy for help as soon as you can't find a fish, you may as well sell your sonar and call a seafood distributor and order some fish for delivery :lol: :lol:

Sheesh Paul, 1/2 the fun of fishing new water is figuring it out, finding the structure and what the fish are looking for.

If your gonna call a buddy for help as soon as you can't find a fish, you may as well sell your sonar and call a seafood distributor and order some fish for delivery :lol: :lol:

It's actually a super tough area they were in... Dangerous rocks... Deep structure... The flooded areas of the seaway are a whole different beast because a lot of the stucture under water is man made and whatever isn't is still "young" and hasn't been shaped by the current as much as non flooded areas...

Most guys I know there target walleye in 80 feet of water... It's weird....

Glad my advice helped Paul... Hopefully you get to fish the other area I told you about... Loads of fish there...

It was a fun day for sure thanks Mike. It's actually a different type of fishing than I usually do so, even tho the numbers were low it was some fun trying something new with my brother. As time goes on we can do one thing, drift apart or take up fishing together :thumbsup_anim: I choose fishing

As a side note, if you only have PFD style life vests on board you MUST wear them to be legal. I carry both in my boat and leave it up to my partner to choose if they want them one when fishing, when I fish alone they are always on and clipped :thumbsup_anim: when main motor is running everyone vests up.

A slow day fishing is better than a day at work... Who knows what week end will bring

Cheers and enjoy yourselves on the water with those who mean something to you :)

Edited by UglyBug

I wanna know where you got that pike...

I wanna go find the musky that tried to eat it...

Like Brian said, as far as i can tell, we caught it on the Americain side, (they should make that red line thicker so geezers like me can see em LOL)

You know that religious island??whistling.gif on the shoreline south of that island is where he was.

As soon as i realized we were in the states, we booted it back across that little red linerofl2.gif

Like Brian said, as far as i can tell, we caught it on the Americain side, (they should make that red line thicker so geezers like me can see em LOL)

You know that religious island??whistling.gif on the shoreline south of that island is where he was.

As soon as i realized we were in the states, we booted it back across that little red linerofl2.gif

Gotcha...

Been cut off over there before...