Thinking of going from tiller to console

bigcreekdad

I have been thinking about this for a few years. I've got an Alumacraft 165 Magnum, with a 60 Yamaha 4 stroke tiller. Great setup, but I fish quite a bit by myself any more, and am leaning towards a console for comfort and safety issues. Been looking at an Alumacraft Competitor Sports 165CS. Only a few inches longer, but 5 inches wider, so a bit more stable.

Has anyone moved away from the tiller and regretted it?

Did that over 10 years ago and have no regrets. I put my kicker on for trolling days to get the speed down. Only regret is not going to a dual console or a full windshield and a bigger boat, wish I had gone to the 18ft model. All depends on your style of fishing. Don't get me wrong, I love my boat and it has served me very well and I have no plans to replace it right now. Love my console!!

I've always loved tillers. The open space and the feeling of the motor right on your hand is fantastic but last year, I was out in late October an ran into some really nasty weather. It helpe me make the decision to go full windshield. I don't regret it one bit. Now I know, if I run into some bad weather, I'll at least stay a bit dryer and feel a little safer.

A tiller is where you sit in the back of the boat and hold on to a handle called a "tiller". A console has a seat 1/3 of the way up the boat with a steering wheel and cables that turn the motor and controls the throttle and shifting from forward and reverse. The tiller allows you more connected room in the boat and an easier ride in rough water. It also limits what you see till you are on plane. A console has a windshield in most cases and while the ride is slightly rougher in bad water it allows you better visibility as you are getting on plane.

Art

tillers definitley fit one type of fishing, but double console all the way for me.

You cant do this with a tillerraincover1.jpg

Dry when it rains, warm when its cold, and wide open in cool sunny days

IMG_8089-1.jpg:

and bimini up for shade in the heat of the day.

Had a tiller on the tinner - not one regret moving to the double console.

In a boat under 16' you lose too much real estate to a console. In a boat 17'+ you've got room for a console should you choose to go that way

16-17' is a bit of a grey area and i think you need to ask yourself just how much you are willing to sacrifice space for comfort in poor weather ( the only advantage to a console).

all this is IMO of course.

I've owned aluminium tillers, dual console and side console boats. My last two have been side console 16-17' range. I fish primarily by myself and like to drift with jigs so that has a lot to do with my choice.

Tiller is nice to fish from, clear unobstructed swing of the rod, only need one fishfinder which is mounted close, fast ans easy engine control. Negative - Almost all the weight is in the back and only select boats move the gas tank to mid-hull for more even distribution.

Dual console gives good wind protection and usually has a top for travelling in the rain. Good overall balance. Negative - less open space in 16-17' models and leaves a quarter of the boat to fish out of, needed second fishfinder rear mounted and the top was always in the way, even folded and not in use. Take the top off and then why bother with a dual console.

Side console gives some wind protection, you get wet in the rain, still need a second finder at the rear but fishes well with a full 180 degree plus arc and has similar good balance of the dual console.

Just sold my 18' walk through and thinking of selling my tiller boat which I fish with mostly. But 12 hour days on a tiller when you get older is hard on the arm after awhile. I'm thinking of going to a side console. I'll miss my tiller. Tiller is a fisherman's boat. Best control back troll over a jigging spot, on target fishing, 2 motors at the back, 1 gas, 1 Elec, 1 hand operation, other hand on the rod. Sometime you have to do whats best.

while fishing a tiller may have some advantages, but while boating the console is so much better, if you know what i mean. i dread long rides in the tiller boats up north, holding the throttle til my tendonitis screams. facing half forward, half backward.

stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down..i just can't stand 'em!!

i have a dual console and its got alot of walk through area. the consoles dont get in my way. weather protection is nowhere near as good as a windshield but space is better.

IMO it depends on how far you need to travel when you fish. If you are travelling long distances and your storage facility can accomodate a 18'+ boat then go with console. For the style of fishing I do, I fish 90-95% of the time and drive the boat the remainder of the time. That said, I would rather have more room in the boat since I spend majority of the time fishing as opposed to driving the boat.

TILLERS rule.....

In my opinion the ONLY upside to a console is staying dry... But my guidewear takes care of that...

And there are huge downsides...

Like back breaking pounding in big waves... Tillers you don't feel much in the back unless your boat flies...

Huge loss of floor space...

Very tricky to COMFORTABLY troll rod in hand...

However...

In December in quinte a full windshield would be nice... But I'd prefer to man up for the few days of discomfort for the many days of tiller enjoyment...

I have buddies with consoles that don't/cant fish certain ways because it's a PITA....

There's nothing you can't do in a tiller...

If your a great lakes/ open water troller... Then by all means go console... Other then that id say stick with tiller...

I have a 14 foot aluminum boat with a 7.5 h.p. outboard. I rarely have to go for more than 20 minutes to get to my fishing spots. I am quite happy with my tiller style outfit. I don't like to troll. I fish most of the time alone. Every time I fish with other groups of fishermen using tillers or console type boats, the guys using tillers catch many more fish than the guys using console type boats. Sure, there are guys who do catch a lot of fish with their console style boats but they are rare.

If I did most of my fishing by trolling and using downriggers on big water where I have to travel longer distances, I would most definately buy a console type boat but other than those conditions, I would use a tiller.

If it's only a question of being out of the wind or battling rain in your face with a tiller, there is always a way to modify your tiller type boat and install a windshield and even an overhang to keep the rain off your head.