Laker Report

4x4bassin

Was up at the trailer again last week to see if my lake trout "sweet spot" was going to produce again like it did the previous week , I was thinking I maybe got lucky that week but sure enough they were there and more than ever . The spot I found is a large deep bay just off the main lake that has a deep flat in it around 60' , I have fished this flat for a couple years now picking off the odd trout here and there that I see on the finder but just last week I came across the "spot" It is a small rock point way in the back of the bay that comes offshore in about 10' of water for about 40' then just drops off to 55'-60' of water in a matter of a boat length. On the one side of this dropoff there seems to be a "horseshoe contour" to the drop and thats where they are stacked like cord wood !

I have been getting out to the spot for about 7:00 am but found out that the best time is between 8:30-11:00am so no need to get up early !

In two mornings I managed to boat 11 lakers and had alot of followers/swipes , the average size was probably around 27" with two being over 30"

Here are some pictures

P7110168.jpg

P7110179.jpg

P7110174.jpg

Over the last couple years I have really got into jigging for these guys and through alot of trial and error I think I have figured them out, I have found out to watch the finder screen for any arcs that are high in the water column 10-15' off bottom and ignore the ones right on bottom , the ones that are cruising high are feeding and the ones near bottom are no where near as aggressive.The perfect screen to see is one that has more than one arc 10' off bottom , from past experience when you drop a jig on these guys they always hit and hit fast ,it is almost like which one can get there first !

Here are a couple screen shots I took of this exact situation. I hope you don't mind these screen shots I post but I find them very interesting and telling especially at the time !

P7110171.jpg

P7020140-1.jpg

This is the big one of the day and my personal best , it was just under 32" I don't know what it weighed but I would guess between 12-15 lbs. Not bad for a medium sized inland lake. This laker was eating well because it had a huge body compared to its head, almost had a humpback and was fat !

This guy was caught at 11:00 am , bright sun , bluebird sky and no wind just on that dropoff in 35' of water. Not what I was expecting for sure but I do now.

P7100147.jpg

P7100141.jpg

Hope you enjoyed

Awesome report. I love jigging up Lakers (and Whitefish) using electronics both through the ice and in open water. I use the same tactic - ie single out the aggressive fish that are cruising up off bottom and more often then not, they'll jump on your offering.

Sweet! I went looking today but didnt find anything. No bait, no bottom huggers and certainly no success like yours! Thanks for the tips though. Reports like yours offer great clues on what to be on the lookout for! Thanks for sharing!!

Sweet! I myself went for some lakers over the weekend and got them between 60-90FOW.

Thanks for explaining your water as well too! The lake I was on I didn't find any honey holes like yours, but we were fishing plastics dragged and hopped along the break. Here's one of my buddies holding the best of the weekend ~25". Only got 4, of which 3 of them were like 12")

7585871298_1686da5114.jpg

35FOW seems so shallow for the dead of summer, great on you! I'll have to see next time I go up to see if I can find them that shallow as well. EDIT: When filleting the laker, I found a couple rock bass in its stomach, so I guess it makes sense that they'll go really shallow for a while to feed.

Edited by EC1