Salmon on the Big Green Egg

Pikeslayer8

I make a grilled salmon that I think is pretty damn tasty. I grilled it on my Egg but a Weber would work just as well.

I marinated the salmon fillet after washing it well. Marinade consists of brown sugar and soy sauce with dill (doesn't have to be fresh) with a little salt and pepper.

After marinating for a few hours, I place the fish into the grilling basket. Make sure that you have the thick part of the fillet in the basket that will be in the hottest part of the grill. My basket doesn't fit in the grill so I just close the lid with the handle sticking out. Works great.

Grill @ 350*-400* for about 7-8 minutes per side.

DSC00705.jpg

Continue to baste the marinade as it is cooking Gonefishing.gif

DSC00706.jpg

I like to have a bit of caramelizing especially on the thin belly side almost crunchy.

DSC00707.jpg

Delicious!

Bet that tastes as good as it looks! Mmmmmmmmmmmm...

I do salmon with maple syrup and soya sauce marinate and if anyone hasn't tried their salmon grilled that way, you don't know what you're missing!

Yea Mike, I think the brown sugar makes for great marinade, the syrup may be a better basting ingredient for better carmalization. rolleyes.gif

Honey/or Maple Syrup, Soy Sauce, dejean mustard, with a touch of ginger.......let it marinate for a few hours in the baking dish. Just before you but it in the over sprinkle sesame seeds over the fish.

serve it over a plate of rice.....spoon the sauce over the fish and rice and you are the local heroe at home !!!

im hungry now just thinking about it

That looks great!! Here is another recipe you may want to try.

Have done this on a cedar plank, may work OK with the basket/marinade, keep a bit for brushing on the glaze while cooking. I also hold some back to drizzle over it before serving. Has been a big hit every time I've served it.

Cedar Planked Wild BC Salmon With Whiskey-Maple Glaze

Serves 6 to 8

<br clear="all"> 1 cedar cooking plank, soaked overnight or at least 1 hour 1/2 cup/125 mL Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey 1 cup/250 mL real maple syrup 1 tsp./5 mL crushed hot red chilies 1 Tbsp./15 mL butter at room temperature 1-3 lb./1-1.5 kg whole, boned wild BC salmon filet

www.bcsalmon.ca kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 tsp./5 mL granulated onion

(or onion powder if you can't find granules) 2 lemons, halved parsley sprigs for garnish 1 Tbsp./ 15 mL finely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley Make the sauce by combining the whiskey and maple syrup. In a small saucepan, bring the mixture to a low boil and reduce by about half, until you have a thick syrup that coats the back of a spoon. Add the chilies and butter and stir until just combined. Set aside and keep warm on the stovetop.

Season the skinless side of the wild BC salmon with salt, pepper and granulated onion. Let the wild BC salmon sit for 10 or 15 minutes at room temperature, until the rub is moistened.

While the wild BC salmon is sitting, preheat the grill on medium-high for 5 or 10 minutes or until the chamber temperature rises above 500° F/260° C. Rinse the plank and place it on the cooking grate. Cover the grill and heat the plank and place it on the cooking grate. Cover the grill and heat the plank for 4 or 5 minutes, or until it starts to throw off a bit of smoke and crackles lightly. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Season the plank with kosher salt and place the wild BC salmon, skin-side down, on the plank.

Cover the grill and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the fish has an internal temperature of 135°F/57° C. Check periodically to make sure the plank doesn’t catch fire, and spray the burning edges with water if it does, making sure to close the lid afterwards.

When the wild BC salmon is done, squeeze half a lemon along its length and carefully transfer to a platter. Garnish with parsley sprigs and the remaining lemon cut into slices. Bring the salmon to the table. Drizzle a spoonful of the sauce over each portion as you serve and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley.

That looks great!! Here is another recipe you may want to try.

Have done this on a cedar plank, may work OK with the basket/marinade, keep a bit for brushing on the glaze while cooking. I also hold some back to drizzle over it before serving. Has been a big hit every time I've served it.

Cedar Planked Wild BC Salmon With Whiskey-Maple Glaze

Serves 6 to 8

<br clear="all"> 1 cedar cooking plank, soaked overnight or at least 1 hour 1/2 cup/125 mL Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey 1 cup/250 mL real maple syrup 1 tsp./5 mL crushed hot red chilies 1 Tbsp./15 mL butter at room temperature 1-3 lb./1-1.5 kg whole, boned wild BC salmon filet

www.bcsalmon.ca kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 tsp./5 mL granulated onion

(or onion powder if you can't find granules) 2 lemons, halved parsley sprigs for garnish 1 Tbsp./ 15 mL finely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley Make the sauce by combining the whiskey and maple syrup. In a small saucepan, bring the mixture to a low boil and reduce by about half, until you have a thick syrup that coats the back of a spoon. Add the chilies and butter and stir until just combined. Set aside and keep warm on the stovetop.

Season the skinless side of the wild BC salmon with salt, pepper and granulated onion. Let the wild BC salmon sit for 10 or 15 minutes at room temperature, until the rub is moistened.

While the wild BC salmon is sitting, preheat the grill on medium-high for 5 or 10 minutes or until the chamber temperature rises above 500° F/260° C. Rinse the plank and place it on the cooking grate. Cover the grill and heat the plank and place it on the cooking grate. Cover the grill and heat the plank for 4 or 5 minutes, or until it starts to throw off a bit of smoke and crackles lightly. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Season the plank with kosher salt and place the wild BC salmon, skin-side down, on the plank.

Cover the grill and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the fish has an internal temperature of 135°F/57° C. Check periodically to make sure the plank doesn't catch fire, and spray the burning edges with water if it does, making sure to close the lid afterwards.

When the wild BC salmon is done, squeeze half a lemon along its length and carefully transfer to a platter. Garnish with parsley sprigs and the remaining lemon cut into slices. Bring the salmon to the table. Drizzle a spoonful of the sauce over each portion as you serve and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley.

Oh my!!! clapping.gifclapping.gif That does sound awesome. I will definitely give that a go. thumbsup_anim.gif

I also like Fishin Jesus's recipe as well with the mustard and sesame seeds. All great recipes.

Now all I need is a great lake or an ocean or something. wallbash.gif I hate to go to Costco. wallbash.gif

I am going to have to give that a try. I have a freezer full of Salmon right now to that is freah from Lake O.

Thanks for the post Pikeslayer8. I was thinking of a few other ways to cook it.

Another good recipe is to cover it with pesto and grill it. Tastes great.

Edited by Live2fish85

I am going to have to give that a try. I have a freezer full of Salmon right now to that is freah from Lake O.

Thanks for the post Pikeslayer8. I was thinking of a few other ways to cook it.

Another good recipe is to cover it with pesto and grill it. Tastes great.

Pesto huh! dunno.gif Love the idea.

At my restaurant we made 2 different kinds of pesto, basil and sun dried tomato. I would bet that either would be great, especially the basil.

Really nice idea Chris! clapping.gifclapping.gif

I used a basil pesto when I had it. That sun dried tomato pesto sounds awesome and I think that would be awesome.

Hey Chris,

I thought that I would pass on my restaurant's pesto recipes. (Of course, I possess all the recipes now)

Bear with me as this was as restaurant recipe and was somewhat vague. Damn cooks anyway. wallbash.gif

Basil pesto

You need a big sack of fresh basil (2 gal bag stuffed) De-Stem the basil

In a large container, combine:

2 1/2 cups Oil

2 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup white wine

1/2 TB Salt

1/4 TB Sugar

1/4 cup minced Garlic

In food processor chop:

De-stemed Basil

1 cup Pine Nuts

Add to the Oil mixture and stir well

Add enough oil to the top of the pesto to prevent browning

Refrigerate

Sundried Tomato Pesto

Repeat Basil Pesto recipe substituting 2 cups soaked sundried tomatoes instead of fresh basil.

Among other things, my favorite was to use these pestos as a pizza sauce. Using it to cook salmon sounds dynamite. w00t.gif

I need a new BBQ. I've been really interested in checking out charcoal grills instead of propane. How do you like the Big Green Egg? One thing that makes me hesitate to switch to charcoal is the time involved in getting it up and going and hot enough to start cooking, versus firing up the propane and having things going in 2 minutes. Any thoughts?

I need a new BBQ. I've been really interested in checking out charcoal grills instead of propane. How do you like the Big Green Egg? One thing that makes me hesitate to switch to charcoal is the time involved in getting it up and going and hot enough to start cooking, versus firing up the propane and having things going in 2 minutes. Any thoughts?

vtbass,

At my old restaurant, I had 4 BGE's in which to do my thing. My brother was the one who turned me on to these back in 2004. I became the Grillmaster at the restaurant and people really liked what I made. The restaurant had problems, but quality of the food was not one of them. I made a different special for each day of the week as well as certain items like Beer Can Chicken and freshly grilled lamb daily. I say all of this just to point out that I do know what I'm talking about as pertaining to using a Big Green Egg or other kamodo ( derived from an ancient clay cooking device known as a "kamado") style grills.

I do not have much experience on gas grills other than when I'm in fishcamp. ohmy.gif

I do know that as long as I have a back patio, and I can grill, it will be a BGE. I feel that strongly about it. wink.gif

These types of grill/smokers work in 3 different manners making them the most versatile barbecue or outdoor cooking product on the market. You can grill and sear the perfect steaks, chops and burgers at high temps. up to 750* F. You can use it more like an oven and bake chickens, roasts, and even pizza at mid range temps. It retains heat and moisture so foods just don't dry out. And you can use them as a smoker at very low temps. Man, I tell ya, pulled pork made on this thing is a sight to behold. I put on a pork shoulder and set the temp at about 220* and 18 hours later, pure delectibilty.

good.gif

There are tremendous pros to having a Big Green Egg. Also some cons. First, they are expensive, about 700$ just for the grill itself. If ya do it right, they will hit ya for another 300 in accessories. Mostly comes from a cart or nest to hold it safely as they can get broke being they are made from ceramic.

wallbash.gif

As far as lighting them, first you must use the course lump charcoal. I put a cardboard fire starter in it and in 5-10 minutes it's ready, maybe less. Not really a factor, go get a beer.

w00t.gif

PikeSlayer - thanks so much for the detailed info. I had no idead the BGE's were that much money, but in the long run, it might be worth it considering I've rusted out 2 propane BBQ's in 8 years that were $300 each. I like how versatile they are by your description. Not sure I'm following how you "turn up or down" the heat on those, but I'm sure if I had one I'd figure it out. Man, now you have me jonesing for a charcoal grill!

vtbass,

At my old restaurant, I had 4 BGE's in which to do my thing. My brother was the one who turned me on to these back in 2004. I became the Grillmaster at the restaurant and people really liked what I made. The restaurant had problems, but quality of the food was not one of them. I made a different special for each day of the week as well as certain items like Beer Can Chicken and freshly grilled lamb daily. I say all of this just to point out that I do know what I'm talking about as pertaining to using a Big Green Egg or other kamodo ( derived from an ancient clay cooking device known as a "kamado") style grills.

I do not have much experience on gas grills other than when I'm in fishcamp. ohmy.gif

I do know that as long as I have a back patio, and I can grill, it will be a BGE. I feel that strongly about it. wink.gif

These types of grill/smokers work in 3 different manners making them the most versatile barbecue or outdoor cooking product on the market. You can grill and sear the perfect steaks, chops and burgers at high temps. up to 750* F. You can use it more like an oven and bake chickens, roasts, and even pizza at mid range temps. It retains heat and moisture so foods just don't dry out. And you can use them as a smoker at very low temps. Man, I tell ya, pulled pork made on this thing is a sight to behold. I put on a pork shoulder and set the temp at about 220* and 18 hours later, pure delectibilty.

good.gif

There are tremendous pros to having a Big Green Egg. Also some cons. First, they are expensive, about 700$ just for the grill itself. If ya do it right, they will hit ya for another 300 in accessories. Mostly comes from a cart or nest to hold it safely as they can get broke being they are made from ceramic.

wallbash.gif

As far as lighting them, first you must use the course lump charcoal. I put a cardboard fire starter in it and in 5-10 minutes it's ready, maybe less. Not really a factor, go get a beer.

w00t.gif

I'll thank you too. I was thinking the same things before vtbass posted. There is another site I frequent that guys are always posting recipes they are doing on their BGE BBQ's and they sound great. Aparently, they hold these BGE demos in various locations arounf the province and you can buy the demo units at a reduction.

My brother has a BGE... uses an electric BBQ starter on the charcoal... it heats up in 5 minutes... much faster then my gas grill can.

Temp control on the BGE is done by controlling the amount of oxygen you allow into the egg... more oxygen, higher heat.

You can buy a electron thermosta to control damper... it's thing of beauty.

We are having a small gathering at our house on Saturday... my brother is doing 50lbs of pulled pork on his BGE and bringing it to my house on Saturday.

No doubt in my mind, my next BBQ will be a BGE!

HH