Best reel for cranking in big inline spinners?

Fisherpete

Looking for opinions on which muskie reel is best for casting and cranking in those big double cowgirls and other high-drag lures for long periods of time. I am considering adding another Calcutta TE 400 to my arsenal, but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. A few friends of mine use Abu Revos, Records and Winches, but they are all lefties so I haven't tried using them. I keep seeing Jim Saric use 'Avid' reels on the Musky Hunter, anyone have experience with these? Cranking power and durability are my main concerns.

Pete

ps Also wondering if there is a `power handle` option for Calcuttas?

Edited by Fisherpete

For big hard pulling baits and jerkbaits I use a 7000 Abu Pete.

Not the smoothest reel on the market but with large spool it brings line in very fast and has plenty of power for the Double 10's

The best reel I have for that is a Calcutta 700B. It's not a casting reel although I do cast with it but I can pull a Corolla out of a ditch with it so double 14's are easy. :)

Edited to add: And Lew is right on the mark with the 7000 Abu. You cannot go wrong with that reel.

You are so lucky that you are a righty Pete. The Revo Winch is popular for pulling in the bucktails, I have one and it makes it pretty easy, especially paired with a sling blade. I have also heard that a TE with a power handle (you can order them on eBay) is a nice set up, especially the LJV. The Shimano Trinidad is another popular reel that can be very effective for burning big blades. There is also the Tranx as well, but that is an expensive option.

Te reel Jim Saric uses is a Daiwa Millionaire CVX re badged to say St Croix. I've owned a Millionaire CVZ which is an upgraded CVX and I've owned Callcutta's and a Callcutta TE. I would say the Calcutta TE hands down among those reels. The comparable Daiwa offering is now called a Luna and I have never run one however the CVZ was a much better reel than a regular Callcutta but not nearly as powerfull as the TE. I've heard the Revo Toro's are good reels but I have a Revo STX and it's ok but not anywhere near a CVZ or a TE (except for the 20lb drag).

Alot of the 400 series reels are good, I use CT's & TE's myself for most baits, but for sheer cranking power for large bladed musky baits you can't beat the 7000 series reels.

Crank Double 13's with a CT or TE for a couple hours, then switch over and use a 7000 series reel and you'll be amazed at how much easier it is.

I'm a diehard Shimano fan and have been for many years, but unfortunately they don't have a 7000 series I like for casting and Abu does, that's the only reason I'm using it.

As I said earlier, it's not nearly as smooth as my Shimano reels, but for sheer cranking power, it's excellent.

Edited by lew

I assume the calcutta 700 has a trolling type casting bar like a tekota? I too am a big shimano fan. I can cast pretty well with my tekota. It would be handy if I could use it to pull cars out of ditches too (lol Roy) The Tranx sounds sweet too, but is pricey and I haven`t heard much about it. Anyone here used one yet?

The price on the Abu 7000`s is good... and since this setup is pretty much just for casting those big inlines, I am leaning towards one. Had any durability issues with them Lew?

Had any durability issues with them Lew?

Nope, none at all Pete, I used to use an Abu Big Game and it was a nice reel but it only lasted a couple seasons even though I keep my stuff well maintained.... Maybe I just had a bad one.

After the BG gave up the ghost I switched over to the 7000 and never had a problem.....yet (touch wood)

It's a big reel but not a problem at all and I can cast it all day long.

You'll notice a huge difference in the ease with which you can crank in large blades and it's also very good for bringing in jerk baits where you want to take up line in a hurry between jerks.

The large spool along with the power handle just make life a whole bunch nicer.

I use a 7001 as well. It does pull the big blades (dbl 10+) but, if you truly want to burn them back to the boat effortlessly, that is the reason reels like the tranx, trinidad, avet series, etc are popular amongst muskie anglers -- they have a very "high inches of line retrieved per crank of reel handle" ratio. doing that with a 7000 series is still a fair bit of work.

double 8s displace much less water -- they are not even close to double 10s and you could get away with the big curados, old quantum cbc30 reels, revo toros etc. even if you want to burn them just under the surface.

Had a Tranx in my hand a few weeks ago but haven't cast one. Not sure what I was expecting but it felt awkward. I know the 7001 is a big round reel but I can cast it all day, (well for a few hours anyway). I would need a lot of convincing that the Tranx is worth 5 times the ABU?

not sure it's worth it either, give it a year or two before the next great thing comes out and people are pawning them off on ebay ;) the others (avets/trinidads) are a little cheaper but lack a level wind

but, if you absolutely must burn those blades in at breakneck speeds that type of reel is apparently the cats meow.

Edited by Raf

The 7000c3i doesnt have a thumb bar line release.I have never casted without one.Is there much of a difference in the learning curve of this reel?

Instead of the thumbar you use your thumb. My dad has an old daiwa baitcaster that was the same. It takes a litte getting used to, but if you know haw to use a baitcaster it shouldn't be too bad. I know Pete will be ok cause I've seen him cast with a Tekota.

Pete, I use a Calcutta 400 for trolling and a Currado 300 DSV for casting. I can cast with the Calcutta but the DSZ is so much smaller and easier on the arms. The reels were used ALOT by a guide friend of mine (see my signature link) and they were serviced and re-spooled before I bought them. They came with a 1 year warranty and so far I have had no issues with them.