The Annual

spincast

As much as I love casting for bass and pike, when it comes to pure fishing enjoyment nothing gets me like the waters of Lake O and Lake E. I can’t believe how lucky I am to live an hour drive from each of these magnificent lakes.

But once a year I get away with a long time friend who I rarely see. We both love the far North, but compromise so we aren’t spending $1000 on gas and 2-3 days of our trip doing non stop driving. That’s too much like work. Last year we tried Gowganda for the first time. I sucked; I watched while Kev put on a lesson in walleye fishing, reeling them in daily. It took a trip to a bass lake 3 days into the trip to revitalize me. Left up to me I would be throwing darts at the Kirkland distract map for our next trip, but Kev, who loves walleye fishing ( I suck, did I say that already?), and brought in 6 – 10 per day seemed to want to go back this year for some reason dunno.gif . So we did. After all, this trip is getting together with friends, relaxating and sharing the boat with someone who doesn’t think its borderline insane to want to be on the water from the time the sun comes up till the sun goes down.

There is no doubt – this area has visual appeal at sun up:

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

Sun down:

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_7933.jpg

In the middle of the day

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

And even at 3:00 am – but the camera doesn’t capture that too well.

IMG_0562.jpg

4:am Saturday we are up and by 4:30 coffee-d and on the road. The drive up is filled with catching up on the last year. Just north of Temagami on Highway 11 we noticed a burn. Tried to get a picture, but the patch was small and by the time I found the old point and shoot the target was well behind us. A few minutes later we come over the hill that leads to the alluvial plains upon which New Liskeard lies.

IMG_0528.jpg

(pic) From the first time I saw this patch of flat farming land surrounded on all sides by Canadian Shield it has amazed me. How big was that glacier?

Not long after and we’re at Elk lake on the Montreal River – the same water that runs through our final destination

IMG_0534-1.jpg

and almost there

IMG_0535.jpg

and then, our home for the next week.

IMG_0559.jpg

A real step up from last year’s accommodation and convenience wise, but the views aren’t comparable

Last year:

Gowganda2011081.jpg

This year

ahhh, never-mind tease.gif

But we gladly traded the view for the creature comforts, as, between the two, we would spend just marginally more time in the cottage than looking at the sunsets.

As we entered the cottage I noticed the mayfly hatch was in full swing. Well, she’s gonna be a tough go again this year. An hour and half later we’re on the water. We fished till dark boating a few pike, bass and pickerel. Supper was pike, with a cleaning lesson from Kev

IMG_0549.jpg

hello

IMG_0547-1.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0553-2.jpg

IMG_0555-1.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Next day was windy and rainy. We hiked out early am to a tough start. Probably only boating about 12 fish in the first 5 hours. Undaunted we fished on searching all the inlets, bays, holes, and runs; (read in your best Scottich accent) "no wee puny little lake shall stop the tireless fishing addicts in their quest for the thrill of a hook". Around 2 o’clock we’re trolling up the windward side of one of the shores and my rod fires hard. 5 minutes of headshakes, runs and bulldogging end with a beaut walleye. Hello there, where you been all my life? . A big smile from me as I produce my PB, small lake walleye at 24 inches and FAT.

IMG_0565-1.jpg

……nice stretch, lets troll that again. We head back up the bay trolling and wham, Kev’s rod fires. After a long, but lethargic battle he brings in this 34 inch pike.

IMG_0568-1.jpg

It was one of the UGLIEST fish I have ever seen – all red blotches and a big sore on its tail. We wondered whether we should throw it back, but figured it had been there already, so most of the damage was already done. (We later spoke with the lodge owner who said he caught one just like that and sent photos to the MNR who told him it was a type of Leukemia the fish get from each other due to overcrowding at spawning?) . We fished out the rest of the wet windy day, ending at 68 fish for the first day and a half, and a lot of conversation about big fish hitting in the middle of the day, very little at dawn, and not really that much at night. This was a pattern that stayed with us the whole week.

Monday proved the old saying – a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. We again hit the water for more than 12 hours with less than 15 fish to show for our efforts – trolling, jigging, down-rigging casting – all non producers. Doubtless the multiple fronts that blew through didn’t help, but really, only 6 or 7 fish each after a whole day on the water? We came off the water to be greeted by a family who had hit one of the back lakes and brought back a few dozen bass, All 4 – 5 lbers. They left at about 7:00 pm and returned at 9:00 pm, had a drive, a boat ride, a 150 foot portage and came back with a dozen plus of these? Where IS this place? Directions gained, Lake Aubeshene was the next day’s destination. As I had brought the canoe we decided we would use it rather that incur the expense of another boat rental..

Again up at dawn, and gone before our more relaxed brethren had awakened. We headed out to Aubeshene in the canoe in 15 ks winds. A hard paddle down the river / lake. A 150 foot portage and into some fantastic looking water. We paddle. We cast. We troll. We get zip, This second lake is LOOOOONG. Like miles long, The wind will take us to the end if we want, but that means we have to fight it on the way back, We opt for some slightly sheltered bays with pencil reeds and cabbage. And for our efforts produce very little other than 45+ year old aching backs. We paddle home unsuccessful, but not beaten. As we hit the portage I notice my camera (in a Ziploc baggie) has fallen out of the drysac when we got some stuff out of it. The ziplock bag is half full of water. Tried rice for a week, silicone bags. Dead, dead, dead. Oh well I got 12 years out of it. Paddling back up the first lake on the way back, Kev’s trolling – “snagged” back we go, as we get over the snag a BIG flash of gold and white flips and the line goes loose. That was not snag, that was a biiiiiig bass. We tried a few times to get him to come back to play but no such luck. We went home basically skunked, and down one camera. But it was still early. So we headed out to catch supper in a boat with leg room and back support, A few bass, and a couple walleyes. We headed in as the sun settled over the horizon.

Tuesday – Interior lake day for Walleye.

Did I mention I suck at fishing for walleye?. So the dealio was: I taught Kev how to connect with the bass, and he had to teach me how to connect with walter. First thing he said, is “you need a decent rod. Something you can feel their tap-tap bite”. So, watching the OFC classifieds for the right rod, I scored a Fenwick HMX just for this trip. Got the seal of approval from Kev. Next step – a lake loaded with walleys. So 6:00 am we’re up climbing into the quad for the 45 minute ride to Stumpy lake – aptly named for the main structure covering both ends of the lake. First time Kev looked at he map he said “those look like $ signs” You could call it snag lake. Reach the lake and we’re the only people on it for the whole day.

IMG_7947.jpg

Kev throws on a worm harness and starts talking about worm harnesses, blades, colours, split shots and feeling the bottom. I put on a rap and listen, and watch him as he gets the tap tap. 10 minutes out and before we even hit the main lake and Kev’s got the first keeper of the day. In 30 minutes he had about 10 snags as well. I change up to a worm harness and we hit the main lake, and I proceed to catch a couple 2 – 3 lb redhorse suckers; fun, but not today’s target. Then we catch a lot of tree stumps. Frustration and the wind build but no more walleyes come to play so it’s hunting time. We troll for about 2.5 hours, Kev catching the occasional small one. I watch him as he leads the rod back when he feels the tap “feeding” the fish as he called it. About ¾ of the way through the lake I (yes, me, walleye sucker-oo-nee) feel that tap- tap and feed the fish my worm, then set the hook. My first finesse walleye catch! A little tike, but in many ways that’s more rewarding, ’cause it tells me I got the feel. We had found a school and we trolled back and forth a few times, each boating about 10. The next two hours we boated about 40 - 50 between us, sometimes catching them three casts in a row. We ended the day one short of our limit (didn’t really want to hold and cull in the warm weather, and we were waiting for one more golden jewel, but it was not to be).

IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7958.jpg

hammin' it up laugh.gif

IMG_7956.jpg

I took this pic for my daughter who does competitive synchronized swimming (and is also a good angler, although she hardly comes out anymore unless we’re on holidays)

IMG_7953.jpg

11 hours on the lake and back home. Fillet of walter and celebratory beers to recognize a great teacher and a new type of fishing learned.

We closed out the rest of the week with nothing particularly noteworthy, until the last night, on our last spot Kev again nailed a beauty pike – on a worm harness on his new set up.

2012-06-22195721.jpg

It was great get away and so good to catch up. Very cool to learn the finesse fish that is walleye fishing. Next year is Kev’s 5-0, so we’re looking for something exceptional to celebrate. Tap tap fishing maybe a part of the trip, but I’m thinking rip-snortin, rod bending, lure hammering massive aggressive Pike fishing J

a few shots to say au revoir

IMG_0538-1.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_7939.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7998.jpg

IMG_8003.jpg

Till next time;

IMG_8002.jpg

If you got this far, thanks for reading .

da da da da dats all folks (fish on)!!

Great great great report!

That first walleye is a real prize... I consider that a trophy especially for a lake you've never fished before.

Well done watching and learning from kev. I like to think I have the walleye "feel" as well, but its funny how a couple days of bass fishing completely changes your expectations and methods.

Thanks for posting your trip... Those walleye sure know how to do the "combined belly float" move.

Great report buddy, well worth the wait. Enjoyed hearing about your trip this past weekend, but pics are worth a thousand words...fish pics are worth two thousand.

A well deserved getaway. Hope you have just as much fun at Temagami!!!!

That was a super report, Rick... Right down to the accent, hammin' it up pics, and superb landscape shots! It looks like you guys had a great adventure! Congrats on the pb, too!! Oh, and hey- remember that you're not alone with a camera incident, huh?!!!

great report, read and pic's!

was that a mouse in the pike's gut? Kidding!

Um, not sure Geoff, but if so it was DEAD by then. We did catcha couple on top water frogs tho...plastic, of course.......

What a great report. Thanks for the effort that you put into it. thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Dan - as I was getting near the end I kept saying alittle prayer under my breath...... please dont freeze on, there is no way I can get this done again

Now that's one for the mantle piece. Looks and sounds like a perfect trip. Looking for similar results this weekend, myself.

Thanks Joey - good luck on the weekend; look forward to your report

Great great great report!

That first walleye is a real prize... I consider that a trophy especially for a lake you've never fished before.

Well done watching and learning from kev. I like to think I have the walleye "feel" as well, but its funny how a couple days of bass fishing completely changes your expectations and methods.

Thanks for posting your trip... Those walleye sure know how to do the "combined belly float" move.

Its a whole different approach for sure Chad - one you obviously have from all your walleye posts. The difference the rod made was incredible

Fantastic report!! clapping.gif thanks for taking us along!

Glad you enjoyed Dave - wish I had one of your camera's for the bird shot. If you zoom in on that photo its a perfect profile shot.

Oh man Rick !!!!!!!!! That is one great report !!!worthy.gif The pics are beauty, and now i know how to fillet a Pike.

Great fishing too.

Thanks Paul - we actually learned another way the very next day from the Lodge owner thats even quicker but just as effective. I'll post it next time we do an outing.

Great report buddy, well worth the wait. Enjoyed hearing about your trip this past weekend, but pics are worth a thousand words...fish pics are worth two thousand.

A well deserved getaway. Hope you have just as much fun at Temagami!!!!

Thanks Frank - always great to get out with you and Juli "Hope you have just as much fun at Temagami!!!!" Me too -sure gonna give it a try.

Great report, and congrat's on your success with the walleye!

That area north of New Liskeard is actually an ancient lake bed. They've found many fossilized marine creatures in the hillsides surrounding it.

Thanks Mike x2- I always figured a glacier made it. Thats neat to know.

That was a super report, Rick... Right down to the accent, hammin' it up pics, and superb landscape shots! It looks like you guys had a great adventure! Congrats on the pb, too!! Oh, and hey- remember that you're not alone with a camera incident, huh?!!!

Uh, yea, my camera's loss was much less than yours however.... thanksffor the kind words. Look forward to your Chapleau report at the end of the summer - and many in between.

Awesome Report!

BTW... "(read in your best Scottich accent) "no wee puny little lake shall stop the tireless fishing addicts in their quest for the thrill of a hook""

I did laugh.gif

Too bad i didn't get any supper shots - then I could have said (a la Mike Meyers" Get inta ma belly" Thanks Dan