Crappie Fishing Apr 22-23

Abberz

Managed to take a couple days off from studying for exams Sunday and Monday so I hit the lake for some spring Crappie with my friend Jeff.

Water temp was perfect for the tasty little devils right in the 50-55*F range in the shallows. Both days were sunny, around 18*C with a bit of chop, but the Crappie didn't seem to mind.

Pretty much got a bite or fish every cast. Caught probably 400 fish in 2 days, in and around 1 in 4 were keepers. Kept our limit of 60 each day....I know that's alot, but we love eating Crappie and rarely keep any fish during the summer other than the occasional Walleye. Bait of choice was BPS's 2-inch Squirmin' Squirts (micro tubes) in red/white colour using 1/32 ounce tube jig heads. Jeff found out pretty quickly to lose the float and stop tipping his bait with worms would keep the sunfish away.

Here's a few pics from the outings......Kerr if your still checking OFC down in FLA I've got a ziplock of fillets for you!

First 2 of the day on Sunday.

gallery_857_235_10965.jpg

Jeff with a couple dandy's.

gallery_857_235_29394.jpg

Bucket O'Crappie

gallery_857_235_59706.jpg

We think this was the biggest, but were not exactly sure.....a Slab never the less.

gallery_857_235_7829.jpg

This was the last fish cleaned on Monday.....as you can tell from the sweat dripping off my face.

gallery_857_235_9287.jpg

Fun couple days forsure, beats studying anyday regardless of how many you catch. Probably won't be able to get out again until long weekend in May. For those of you who go after these guys I hope you are blessed with the same luck we had!

Chris

Abberz

WTG nice bunch of Crappies.

I am counting the minutes to this Fri at the cottage on Balsam Lake and hoping that these guys are in their regular haunt.

I love eating Crappie more than Walleye and I always thought Walleye were unbeatable for table fare, that is until last year when I started fishing Crappie.

Thanks for the pics, you got me going!!

SS

Impressive report and nice catch! You tired of cleaning the little buggers yet? :D

I recently picked up an electric fillet knife strictly for cleaning a bunch of panfish. Never used one before, but am willing to try anything to make the chore easier. I brought a huge mess of perch back from Simcoe in February and it just about killed me cleaning them...

Impressive report and nice catch! You tired of cleaning the little buggers yet? :D

I recently picked up an electric fillet knife strictly for cleaning a bunch of panfish. Never used one before, but am willing to try anything to make the chore easier. I brought a huge mess of perch back from Simcoe in February and it just about killed me cleaning them...

I guess I should have mentioned that I turned my Storm electric fillet knife into a smoldering piece of plastic on Sunday. Thank god it came on the last fish and I only needed to use my regular fillet knife to remove the skin off 2 fillets. CTC gave me a new one Monday AM, and it almost went after another 60 Crappie on Monday nite.

I'll use the Storm until it craps out again, but I'm thinking of picking up the Rapala knife that plugs in and has a battery......anyone have this knife and if so good reviews?

Glad you guys like the report!

I guess I should have mentioned that I turned my Storm electric fillet knife into a smoldering piece of plastic on Sunday. Thank god it came on the last fish and I only needed to use my regular fillet knife to remove the skin off 2 fillets. CTC gave me a new one Monday AM, and it almost went after another 60 Crappie on Monday nite.

I'll use the Storm until it craps out again, but I'm thinking of picking up the Rapala knife that plugs in and has a battery......anyone have this knife and if so good reviews?

Glad you guys like the report!

Hey, that's the one I just bought! I'll let you know how it is when I get the chance to use it...