Inflated Zodiac in the back of my truck

atvaholic

Hi,

Im heading up to algonquin park in a few weeks and want to set up my zodiac at camp and keep in the back of my truck to trailer to numerous lakes 10 - 15 km away. See the picture..it hangs out about 3.5 - 4 feet. Will this work or will I do some damage?

boatback.jpg

Does the zodiac have a solid floor? If not I would place a piece of plywood that extended off the back of the tailgate to support it.

Art

Hi, yes it does have the solid floor. Its a 5 piece heavy floor, and there are support beams that go on the side that when inflated, keep the boards in place. the support beams hang over the tailgate about 5 inches or so.

Either it's an optical illusion or that's way more than 3.5 - 4 feet overhang, (measured from the bumper). The Highway Traffic Act states that any load overhanging the rear of a vehicle by 1.5 m (5 ft) or more should be marked by a red light when lights are required (one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise or at other times of poor light conditions) and, at all other times, by a red flag or red marker.

• 11 months later...

Hey Guys going to bring this back into the realm....Had the boat in the back for several trips and it works great...now the question is can it be done with a 9.9 on the back??

I wouldn't risk it with the added weight of a 9.9 on the back.

Better to put the 9.9 on the floor of the zodiac as far into the truck bed as possible.