Newer 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

Oryx

So...I sold my '93 boat earlier this spring because I thought I would not be able to use it with the birth of my boy. (I also have a 3 yr old) Now that it is gone, I miss it!. My wife, being the amazing lady that she is, has doubled our budget for a 'new to me' ride. :thumbsup_anim:

My question is: When did the 2 strokes become more on par with the 4 strokes?

I have read/added to a thread about a boat that was waiting an engine, the dealer made an offer for a 115 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke 90 which the customer had ordered. With the varying opinions, I am a little confused.

The research I have done does not give a time frame of the catch up in tech, but says that the new 2's are not the 2's of old. They are better on gas, less oil used, less emissions, less expensive repairs, more reliable.....

As the boat I am looking for will be a previously enjoyed model, any info will be much appreciated

Merc Optimax and BRP E-TEC are nothing like 'old' two-strokes. Those who have them love them to death.

Those who have gone to a four-stroke engine also love them to death. Either will be a LOT better than the old two-bangers you remember.

So which do you buy? Truth is there aren't any bad choices out there any more, so the biggest consideration is the dealer you'll wind up working with (whether you buy at a dealer, or just use them for service/maintenance and the occasional spare part). If you have a big Yamaha dealer nearby, then buy a Yamaha. If you have an Evinrude dealer close to your cottage, buy an Evinrude. Or a Mercury, or a Honda, or a Suzuki. Everyone you ask will tell you the brand they own is the best, but the truth is these days, they're all pretty good.

Merc Optimax and BRP E-TEC are nothing like 'old' two-strokes. Those who have them love them to death.

Those who have gone to a four-stroke engine also love them to death. Either will be a LOT better than the old two-bangers you remember.

So which do you buy? Truth is there aren't any bad choices out there any more, so the biggest consideration is the dealer you'll wind up working with (whether you buy at a dealer, or just use them for service/maintenance and the occasional spare part). If you have a big Yamaha dealer nearby, then buy a Yamaha. If you have an Evinrude dealer close to your cottage, buy an Evinrude. Or a Mercury, or a Honda, or a Suzuki. Everyone you ask will tell you the brand they own is the best, but the truth is these days, they're all pretty good.

My 305ci mercruiser engine is the best from 86!:lol:Lol.

Thanks for the reply. As the boat I will be looking at will not be new, Around which year would be newer tech vs the old? 2002? 2008? 2010? I would love to get one with a 4 str yammie but that may not be in the cards.

Thanks for the reply. As the boat I will be looking at will not be new, Around which year would be newer tech vs the old? 2002? 2008? 2010? I would love to get one with a 4 str yammie but that may not be in the cards.

Not sure when Mercury first started making the 2 stroke Optimax...for some reason 98/99 seems to stand out, but it might have been a little later.

From what I have researched, any Opti after 2002 should be a pretty good motor. You may want to post on Walleye Central as well...they have topic just dedicated to Motors. Might help you narrow down the years/issues.

As previous poster mentioned, each person will have their opinion, and regardless of the company that makes the motor, there are always lemons that make it out of production. There was one guy on the other board who just hammered his 06 Opti, because it kept burning out the ignition coils..so from his point of view...worst engine ever. A viewpoint that was not shared by the guys whose Opti's ran like a charm. And the list can go on and on (Evinrude Ficht anyone?.....lol).

I just purchased my first boat, but have boated my entire life. Always "knew" that fourstrokes were quieter, and that 2 strokes spat/sputter/smoked/stalled at low RPM/left gas & oil rings in the water...etc. It was a pain to mix, and oil injection could not alwasy be trusted.

Then I took this boat out on a test drive before purchase. The Marina guy told me the Optimax was a lot different...but I didn't really believe it. Don't get me wrong...I am pretty sure a 4 stroke will still be quieter (all around)...but.....it sure is close.

The motor on my boat has a sticker on it that says built in 2006 (I was told it was an 08....my fault...should have looked harder before purchase). So far I have been more than impressed. I am pretty sure that if you look at any brand of 2 stroke, from about 2002 and on, you will be too.

2 years ago i had to decide between a 2 stroke etec and a 4 stroke Johnson(suzuki) did lots of research on both engines ,ask several marine techs and came to the conclusion both had their pluses and minuses and the fact there was not much difference between the 2,either would be a good choice. So i went with better deal on the 4 stroke and absolutely love my motor not a single complaint...by far the best motor I have ever owned....saying that I am sure I would of been just as happy with the etec

i have a 2006 johnson 115hp 2 stroke. uses very small amounts of oil, is quieter than 2 strokes of old. i have found it reliable and quite easy to maintain.

it doesn't smoke, stink, get all oily. looks like a little sewing machine under the cowl.

its fuel effeiciency is remarkable! boat uses next to nothing. week long trips on big lakes like temagami on 60litres of fuel..

id also like to know when the 2 strokes started to lean this way..

hope it helps.

ive been waiting on my boat for a while now ( seperate thread) and the dealer also offered me a 115 opti vs the 90 4 stroke.... i denied the offer and continue to wait :( there must be a surplus on the optimax... only reason they keep tryin to sell them off

ive been waiting on my boat for a while now ( seperate thread) and the dealer also offered me a 115 opti vs the 90 4 stroke.... i denied the offer and continue to wait :( there must be a surplus on the optimax... only reason they keep tryin to sell them off

Yours was the thread I read/ added to. There was some good info regarding the viability of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke on there. Thats part of the reason i wanted to know WHEN the tech caught up.

Mercury introduced its direct-injection Optimax two-strokes in 1996.

BRP bought Evinrude (and Johnson) out of bankruptcy in 2003 and introduced its E-TEC two-stroke outboards shortly afterwards (E-TEC technology was only offered on Evinrudes, not on Johnson). Prior to being bought by BRP, Evinrude (and Johnson) sold a line of new-gen two-stroke engines using FICHT fuel injection for a couple of years, but reliability of these was inconsistent. FICHT was replaced by E-TEC.

Today, Evinrude and Merc Optimax are pretty much it for direct injection two-strokes. Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Nissan and Honda sell four-stroke engines only; Mercury sells both.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

All I can say is if your family gets sick from 2stroke smoke don't get one. I was out with slowpoke and you can still get a hint of the smoke it's not near as bad as years gone by but I know it will make my wife and daughter sick on some days. My next will be 4 stroke

All I can say is if your family gets sick from 2stroke smoke don't get one. I was out with slowpoke and you can still get a hint of the smoke it's not near as bad as years gone by but I know it will make my wife and daughter sick on some days. My next will be 4 stroke

That wasn't the motor you were smelling ;)

BRP bought Evinrude (and Johnson) out of bankruptcy in 2003 and introduced its E-TEC two-stroke outboards shortly afterwards (E-TEC technology was only offered on Evinrudes, not on Johnson). Prior to being bought by BRP, Evinrude (and Johnson) sold a line of new-gen two-stroke engines using FICHT fuel injection for a couple of years, but reliability of these was inconsistent. FICHT was replaced by E-TEC.

Today, Evinrude and Merc Optimax are pretty much it for direct injection two-strokes. Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Nissan and Honda sell four-stroke engines only; Mercury sells both.

craig yammy still makes and offers it 2-stroke hpdi system thought the 250 hp sho 4 stroke is the bomb

i apoligize it does appear that yammy discontinued hdpi 2 strokes for this year

i love the startup smell of my 2 stroke. its like its part of the thing. its 6 am mist all over the water, motor just started rattliing away while i put the electronics in place..idle away from the dock with just a little smoke drifting away..

its one of the things that sticks with me when i haven't been fishing in a while.

sure i might die from it someday but its an odour i associate with good things..

I once had a 2004 Opti 90. Great motor. Sounds quiet and different then older 2s. Sipped gas and oil, really unbelievable. Sometimes it would smole a little - barely seeing it but smelling it. Mostly when trolling around a while. Part of the reason for selling was that I wanted a lighter tiller and I don't think 2s like to be trolled for hours at a time.

sure i might die from it someday but its an odour i associate with good things..

My neighbour, a die-hard sled-head wandered over one day while I had the muffs on my old Mariner. He said he missed that smell since purchasing a couple new 4-stoke sleds. I knew exactly what he meant by that and replied "There's nothing quite like a 2 stoke; it just smells like fun."

The new E-TEC is remarkably better than pre 2000 outboards for sound and odour. Mike P noted above that they should be avoided if you/your family is sensitive to the odour but it should be noted that we were back trolling a 150 for hours. If we were trolling forward, I don't think you'd smell much of anything unless you had a good tail wind.

i love the startup smell of my 2 stroke. its like its part of the thing. its 6 am mist all over the water, motor just started rattliing away while i put the electronics in place..idle away from the dock with just a little smoke drifting away..

its one of the things that sticks with me when i haven't been fishing in a while.

:thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian::clapping:

X2