Love it when the UPS truck stops by on a Monday....

irishfield

Great fast service from Pursuit / Traxstech. They even gave me 10% off for tolerating their 10 minute shopping cart auto wipe program... that kept emptying my cart before I could check out.......mind you maybe I should have let it.......I think I may have gone a tad overboard. Watch the classifieds once I finally get my boat on site, so I can do the track mounting. I already know I'll have two tracks for sale as I ordered pairs of 2, 3 and 4 foots as unsure whether I'll be using the 2 and 3' or 3 and 4' s on each side. Also have the inserts for them to make them into smooth steps when the accessories are out. Adjustable rod holders...I may swap out for Bert's ratcheting ones before these even come out of the packages. I bought 4 rigger pedestals - swiveling - but now doubting I'll ever have 4 riggers on the boat so 2 of those may be available as well. We'll see once I get her all set up.

pursuit1.jpg

pursuit2.jpg

pursuit3.jpg

pursuit4.jpg

pursuit5.jpg

pursuit6.jpg

pursuit7.jpg

Ah the good old salty rod holders Wayne.I have a joined account with the wife I give her what she needs and no radar alerts.We each have our own accounts where my pay goes into mine.When I make some sales commission she doesn't find out about the fishing gear extras because its not on the radar.You only need 6 rods for the Boq .If you have too many salty's let me know :whistling:

MTP :thumbsup_anim:

Very nice, I'll be doing the same thing with my boat Wayne. I am thinking Trojan tackle though, local guy that makes some quality track systems as well. Berts, Trojan Tackle, Pursuit (Traxstech) all look the same to me. I know that you know your aluminum, is there really any difference in quality between the brands that you noticed when you were comparing (if you were comparing...)?

I thought about it, and I'd say go with the 4ft track (It's what I'll be installing). That way you can get your riggers and ball holders :lol: into the track and still have room for 2 rod holders for Dipsy diver/Planer board rods if needed. If you have dual rod holders on the riggers, even better. Now you can run 8 rods on the big water and have a nice uncluttered set-up. That is of course, if you have that many friends to plunk into seats ;)

She's coming along, it looks like I'll be walking down that same path...thinking it will be next spring though, instead of this fall as the original plans had in store.

Have fun!

Tony

HA Peter! Yah only live once and you never know for how long! :D

Tony, The only one I didn't look at ahead of time was Berts...cause I didn't know about them. I don't like their polished stuff for looks or to look after for that matter anyhow, but some go for that look and extra care required (gets them out of the house polishing! :D ), but Bert does offer a satin finish now. The pursuits I bought have a bead blasted/textured and anodized finish...nice look and good corrossion protection IMHO. Both Bert and Pursuit use the same profile of track extrusion so you can swap units. I looked at Trojan... and at one point was heading that way....but ease of order from Pursuit and the fact that I really like the change over/removal ease of the pursuits with the track....vs Trojan with his captive nuts in the slots. The pursuit/bert tracks also allow rotation movement for your holders as well.

Remember that besides Trojan, the guys that are looking for custom units also have Robin here on OFC and Goran/Uncle Buck to quote/mfg their needs.

As for track lengths...Lund screwed the gunnels up a bit to make it harder to use even lengths. Fuel filler in one gunnel and on the other postioning of the stern light socket..plus the existing retractable cleats and foot pad to work around on each side.

Edited by irishfield

WOW....well done wayne just wait till you see her all decked out in that new pursuit gear. :w00t: ..it will look amazing,there is a few big salmon boats out of our harbor,port darlington that went all pursuit product and man do they ever look/work nice,you will need sunglasses to look at all that aluminum...in the sun,well good-luck installing all that and hope the job goes as planned,thanks for giving us a tease looking at all those presents...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I love the Pursuit and Bert's track systems... clean, functional and flexible! I like the Bert's ratchet holders you mentioned as well. Are yours not ratcheting? I went with the Salty's for now but I like tubes as well.... nice for rigging up a rod - drop it in, do what you have to do and send your line out. I will probably end up with some Bert's tubes in the near future.

That's going to look good on the new boat Wayne... I just installed some Bert's on my old tin can and it brought the value up! I like the powder coated Salty S-17... I wanted them but they're special order. It was hard enough to find the ugly ones and I'm still waiting for two more (have 4, need 6).

I also bought the Bert's adapter plates but didn't like them. The holes were mis-aligned down the center line and the Scotty mount holes peek out from where the Salty's mount. I also found them to be a little sloppy in the track. I sent some measurements to UncleBuck and he made up eight plates for me. They look great and fit better inside the track. Cheaper than Bert's too! I have some knurled knobs on order for the machine screws to finish it off.

-Brian

DSC00856.jpg

I thought about it, and I'd say go with the 4ft track (It's what I'll be installing). That way you can get your riggers and ball holders :lol: into the track and still have room for 2 rod holders for Dipsy diver/Planer board rods if needed. If you have dual rod holders on the riggers, even better. Now you can run 8 rods on the big water and have a nice uncluttered set-up. That is of course, if you have that many friends to plunk into seats ;)

Hi Tony,

I had room for a 30" track and would have went with it but 30" is custom order from Bert's... don't know about the other guys. I ended up with a 24" track and I can add a 6" inline or leave a 6" opening and place the 6" track aft of the opening. When I mounted the 24" track I realized that I would be able to use a rigger mount and two rod holds comfortably on the same 24" track but I would have to hold onto my own balls ;) If you have room for a 48" track go fer it! I had too many other issues in the way... bimini mount, anchor light and mooring cleat.

-Brian

Brian...I bought 2 adapter plate mounts with the S-17's on them and 2 of the dovetails with the S-17's mounted on them to see which works better as of course one is higher than the other off the track. The adapter is the same base as the rigger mounts and yes it does have some holes peaking out..but all top quality and perfect hole centering. They fit nice in the tracks. I also bought a set of 4 dovetail salty mounts (last picture) as I already have 6 clamp on style saltys that I was using on the window frame brace in my Glastron. This gives me 6 dovetail mounts if I don't like the S-17's.

I figured while using the saltys to troll for lakers/pike/muskie...that a rod tube mounted beside it, or elsewhere in the boat, would work nice for when the fish has been netted gives a quick place to stick the rod instead of laying it in the boat/etc. Other than that tubes are for when using the planner mast so I can put each rod at a different angle to keep the lines apart on similar length rods.

As for "ratcheting". No Pursuit doesn't offer a ratcheting holder like Berts. Pursuits are the pin and hole for each location as you can see in the 3rd picture. This is what I might swap out in my collection to get the ratcheting ones from Bert...but I need to see what their satin finish looks like, to see if it matches or is close at least to the pursuits.

Also...on that 30"...you could have bought a 36" and just cut it down. Alum cuts very easily with just a wood blade in your mitre saw, and if you are concerned about matching the finish a quick bead blast on the cut end would clean it up.

And Tony

Now you can run 8 rods on the big water and have a nice uncluttered set-up. That is of course, if you have that many friends to plunk into seats

I'm never sure how many friends or foe on any given day...but I'm sure if we caught a long red light at Gerrard.... while coming down Jarvis...we could fill the boat and get some of those deep sea fishing site pictures at the same time.. :o:lol:

Edited by irishfield

Brian...I bought 2 adapter plate mounts with the S-17's on them and 2 of the dovetails with the S-17's mounted on them to see which works better as of course one is higher than the other off the track. The adapter is the same base as the rigger mounts and yes it does have some holes peaking out..but all top quality and perfect hole centering. They fit nice in the tracks. I also bought a set of 4 dovetail salty mounts (last picture) as I already have 6 clamp on style saltys that I was using on the window frame brace in my Glastron. This gives me 6 dovetail mounts if I don't like the S-17's.

I went with the S-17's and the adapter plates for a couple reasons. They look less bulky without the clamps and I saved $120 (plates vs. Salty brackets)... actually, even more since Goran made up some plates for me and the Bert's are going back. Since you already had the clamp-ons, the Salty brackets were a no-brainer.

I figured while using the saltys to troll for lakers/pike/muskie...that a rod tube mounted beside it, or elsewhere in the boat, would work nice for when the fish has been netted gives a quick place to stick the rod instead of laying it in the boat/etc. Other than that tubes are for when using the planner mast so I can put each rod at a different angle to keep the lines apart on similar length rods.

Now that is positive thinking... here I am thinking the tubes would be nice for untangling lines and re-tying after break offs! ;)

As for "ratcheting". No Pursuit doesn't offer a ratcheting holder like Berts. Pursuits are the pin and hole for each location as you can see in the 3rd picture. This is what I might swap out in my collection to get the ratcheting ones from Bert...but I need to see what their satin finish looks like, to see if it matches or is close at least to the pursuits.

I see what you mean now after looking at the picture. The Bert's ratchets are nice, very stout. I have the "new satin" finish on my Bert's tracks and I could take a macro shot of the finish if you like. I would have for this post but it's pouring rain and I have to take the cover off the boat. If my memory is correct, it's more of a brushed finish than peened.

Also...on that 30"...you could have bought a 36" and just cut it down. Alum cuts very easily with just a wood blade in your mitre saw, and if you are concerned about matching the finish a quick bead blast on the cut end would clean it up.

I had considered doing that but when I asked Jocelyn (Angling Outfitters) about it he said it would have to be re-anodized. I'm not sure if that is a must or just a proper way to do it... don't know much about aluminium and I only recently learned how to spell it. ;) It's not a heart breaker because I like the idea of having a 6" gap for sliding in accessories between the tracks (X=2") XXX....XXXXXXXXXXXXThe Bert's also come with nice end caps.

-Brian

Edited by SlowPoke