Shimano Tranx or Calcutta

I am looking for a new reel to pair with my new St.Croix Premier muskie rod my lovely fiance got me. I have decided on either a Shimano Calcutta or the new Tranx. I am just wondering since the Tranx is brand new, does anyone on the board have any experience with this reel and if so what are your thoughts and how does it compare to the Calcutta or similar reels. I have several Abu Garcia's which are great, I just thought I would go with something different this time. I cast and troll for muskie's maybe 50-50 or close depending on the time of year and situation.

Thanks,

Millhouse

Don't be afraid of large reels guys, they really aren't a problem. I use a 7000 Abu for large jerkbaits and Double 10"s and I can cast that thing all day long and I don't have big hands.

A 400/401TE is all you would ever want/need for Musky so I'm trying to understand why anyone would want an even larger and more expensive reel. The Tanx is literally a Tuna reel.

The Tranx is marketed to fill a bit of a niche market/technique (albeit a very popular one today) -- that being the craze of casting large double bladed (#10 or #13) inlines. It has a very high retrieve/turn of the crank ratio while keeping the gear ratio itself relatively 'slow' -- therefore it has lots of grunt or torque which makes retrieving these lures at high speeds all day a relatively easy affair. With a 400/401/Abu 7000 it can get quite tiresome. Shimano (and others) previously offered reels up to this task ie. Trinidad, Avet Reels but this is one of the first (if not the first) that features a level-wind.

Edited by Raf

The TE is a very nice reel for the price. As mentioned the Tranx has not been proven yet so go with something that has been out there for awhile. Check out the Abu reels they are reliable and much cheaper than the TE or Tranx.

The TE is a very nice reel for the price. As mentioned the Tranx has not been proven yet so go with something that has been out there for awhile. Check out the Abu reels they are reliable and much cheaper than the TE or Tranx.

My humble opinion on this is that if you're sitting on the fence between the two reels and you say you do 50/50 casting and trolling and the Calcutta is $150 or so less and the Tranx has no clicker (line out alarm). The choice is clear. Have you ever trolled for muskies without a clicker?

I have never used a clicker but I can see how they would be useful for trolling. Until this year, I had been making due with one muskie stick, a Rapala muskie rod 6'9" heaving action with an abu 6500C reel. Overall, it had been great and landed several nice fish for me. It performed fine casting and trolling. It did everything except cast really large baits well. As such I wanted a new rod and my lovely fiance got me a St. Croix premier for x-mas which I have to decide on a reel for. I also recently acquired an assortment of muskie tackle from another fisherman so my collection has gone from one outfit to 7 very quickly. Two of the rods I got have reels with line counters and clickers on them which I expect to use exclusively for trolling. Im sure they will perform fine.

I dont see a clicker being a must for me since I expect to use it only for trolling. When Im trolling, I have my left hand on the tiller and my rod is in my right hand, I dont use holders, so I will know when i have fish on or a snag regardless of whether the clicker is engaged or not. If I was trolling with a console steering boat and needed to be at the helm and or had several outfits out at one time, I could see how the clicker feature would be a much bigger asset.

I dont see a clicker being a must for me since I expect to use it only for trolling. When Im trolling, I have my left hand on the tiller and my rod is in my right hand, I dont use holders, so I will know when i have fish on or a snag regardless of whether the clicker is engaged or not. If I was trolling with a console steering boat and needed to be at the helm and or had several outfits out at one time, I could see how the clicker feature would be a much bigger asset.

This I'd have to see. I'm having trouble imaging anyone holding a muskie rod in one hand going 3 to 6mph for more than 6-10 minutes. Unless of course you're using worm harnesses for bait. If you can do it, more power to you. I couldn't and would never try.

This I'd have to see. I'm having trouble imaging anyone holding a muskie rod in one hand going 3 to 6mph for more than 6-10 minutes. Unless of course you're using worm harnesses for bait. If you can do it, more power to you. I couldn't and would never try.

Thats just what I do, run the tiller and pump the bait to add action.

I really like having the ability to raise the rod to move the bait over structure and also feel and "pushes" where a fish swipes and misses, usually you can feel the bait skip a beat.

Edited by Jay Hamilton