Opinions on used tow vehicles

JoshS

Isn't that a union job? So more than likely, one always had to be in the shop to keep the union mechanic guys "busy".... :rofl2:

No.....we actually farmed out the repair work once the vehicle was off warranty...they were all leased from our company owned leasing company....and to be honest our guys were hard on vehicles.....but we had MANY repairs that were just plain poor design fault.....door hinges were the worst I have ever seen....and tranny electronics where also a very poor design back then......modules and connections were a CONSTANT problem....brakes always sucked on GM...and they still do......don't know where they get the metal for those rotors but you can count on replacing them every 2-2.5 years.....so you might as well just do the pads while your add it....I could go on and on.....but like I said......some of our drivers were hard on them too.

Bob

NO....it wasn't cheap to purchase......and you will be paying dearly for it forever.......repairs up the wazoo.....what I meant is it's built CHEAPLY.....how do I know.......I had several....as a matter of fact I use to take care of a fleet of GM pickups when I worked on the RR......we ALWAYS had one in the shop for repairs.......

Good Luck with it....maybe you will get lucky...

Judging by all your posts, I guess I should have known that you seem to know it all.

I will enjoy my beautiful new truck! Thanks for the well wishes!

Enjoy your import!

Judging by all your posts, I guess I should have known that you seem to know it all.

I will enjoy my beautiful new truck! Thanks for the well wishes!

Enjoy your import!

I don't own a import....but you may......many GM trucks come out of Mexico in part or whole.....my complete truck was built in Indiana, U.S.A.

No.....we actually farmed out the repair work once the vehicle was off warranty...they were all leased from our company owned leasing company....and to be honest our guys were hard on vehicles.....but we had MANY repairs that were just plain poor design fault.....door hinges were the worst I have ever seen....and tranny electronics where also a very poor design back then......modules and connections were a CONSTANT problem....brakes always sucked on GM...and they still do......don't know where they get the metal for those rotors but you can count on replacing them every 2-2.5 years.....so you might as well just do the pads while your add it....I could go on and on.....but like I said......some of our drivers were hard on them too.

Bob

Haha, just pulling your leg. I had 2 Chev trucks, never ever again, I'd push a wheelbarrow before I'd by another GM product... of any description.

My tj transmision was built in china. There is no such thing as domestic or import when it comes to cars. Besides the last I checked there NO canadian car manufacturers. There are plants here but the money goes to all those fat cats in japan, korea or the states. Every car I have ever owned in my lifetime has been an import in my eyes. From plymouths, dodge, mitsubishi, chryco, gm, toyota, honda,.... Even a ford... They are all imports to me.

I guess I hit a nerve with the "import reply" but it's the truth and it will set you FREE.......my favorite four letter word..

Not at all... no point in arguing which is better.

I'd much rather drive a GM vehicle than a Toyota any day.

To each their own, I guess.

How are TJ's for towing?

I went ahead and bought the car Friday. Got a good deal on it and needed a ride fast lol and everything looked good and checked out mechanically. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bc after researching the towing capacity, it states 2000lbs... It's the full size wranglers that I previously looked up, not the sport TJs.

I'm towing a 16ft aluminum with a 75hp two stroke. My boat weighs 730lb dry and motor 280lb. Should I be concerned? I towed a little this weekend and seems fine but want to be on the safe side.

I tow an 18' Lund with a 2 door 2004 GMC Jimmy. I bought it for $4400 and that included taxes, registration fees, certification and e test. It only had 130,000klms when I purchased. It's 4 wheel drive, got a short wheel base and a 4.3l v6 and it's rated to tow 5500lbs. I like it.

Ive got one too. Cheap, reliable, tons of power, and terrible on fuel....

How are TJ's for towing?

I went ahead and bought the car Friday. Got a good deal on it and needed a ride fast lol and everything looked good and checked out mechanically. Maybe I jumped the gun a little bc after researching the towing capacity, it states 2000lbs... It's the full size wranglers that I previously looked up, not the sport TJs.

I'm towing a 16ft aluminum with a 75hp two stroke. My boat weighs 730lb dry and motor 280lb. Should I be concerned? I towed a little this weekend and seems fine but want to be on the safe side.

Good luck with the new ride. My son and I just bought a used one yesterday as well. Spent quite a bit of time looking around, saw some that had been beaten up pretty badly. Paid a little more than I wanted to, but engine and interior look mint. I would also be curious how it tows. My lad thinks he would like to tow a boat occasionally as well. Andy

Thanks guys. It's been a dream of mine for a long time to have the boat+truck combo and freedom to fish whatever waters I choose. I got all excited about my new ride and just assumed it would handle towing, which it sounds like it does just fine. I'm just getting into the truck+boat game.. and MAN DOES IT FEEL GOOD! Got into some nice ski's this weekend bc of that truck! Looking forward to a lot of km's and a lot of fish this season.

Andy - enjoy the new ride as much as I will. It seems to tow ok, not a ton of power (i.e. I put it in 4th going up inclines on the highway) but seems to do the job just fine. Plus it's a fun little truck to drive! Your son will like it.