Accidentaly hooking yourself or someone else

npt1

I've had a few tussles with some hooks over the years...

The first was when my buddy managed to hook the back of my neck with a spoon on his backcast. I felt a whack on the back of my head and at first thought he had just hooked my hat, there was no pain. When I removed my hat, the line was right through the adjustment hole at the back with the lure firmly imbedded in my neck. After a few minutes with my buddies tugging and pulling to no effect, off to the hospital we went. I could hear the giggles from people behind me in line once they noticed the shiny gold spoon hanging from the back of my head. Removal was painless at the ER.

Another trip was cut short at the dock when my buddy managed to hook his finger real bad simply putting his rods in the boat, off to the ER he went.

I've removed a couple myself by pushing the point through, cutting the shank and pulling the hook through. One on my thigh, another in my hand.

The worst by far though, was while poorly handling a small musky. It thrashed while trying to remove the hooks and, for just a brief moment, was attached to my arm by the second treble on the lure. The fish came off on it's own and I was left with a very large hook firmly imbedded in my forearm. We made the mistake of cutting the shank before we had the point coming back through and after a few minutes of fiddling managed to lose the entire hook inside my arm. Needless to say, off to the ER once again. They had to X-ray my arm to locate the hook and still the doctor had a heck of a time finding it while digging around in there, even threatening to leave it in as he was getting frustrated. Eventually he got the hook and removed it. He had to slice me for 4 stitches that time.

I've never buried a hook in myself, close a few times but been lucky. I've had others in the boat do it, no big deal, humans are rational, you can talk to them, dogs on the other hand..... I was fishing musky by myself with my lab. I headed to camp for a quick lunch and thought my two rods were in a safe place, even though I had left big stick baits on them. My lab tripped on the handles running to the bow, the rods tumbled forward , and she had hooks from two different lures buried in her paw. She started yelping and trying to jump away. No one was around to help, I kept her calm enough to first unhook the lures then unscrew the hooks. My cutters were in the back of the boat though, so I just sat there with her for about 30 minutes, afraid to leave the dog alone for that she would get hooked in the the mouth trying to pull them out. Finally this little kid came walking by. He was good enough to go get some help. within a couple minutes his dad showed up, handed me my cutters and I cut off the hooks. They were fortunately both already protruding thru the paw so it was a simple cut and pull. By the end of this ordeal I was a mess, my lab jumped off the boat and went swimming. She never even limped. Never again will I leave musky baits on an unused rod in my boat.

I've been reading a lot lately about going barbless and I have started pinching the barps on many of my lures, especially pike ones for my trip in a few weeks. A few years ago I was in the emegency room with a treble hook in my finger. If had been barbless I could have got it out.

I got a treble on my Rapala hooked into my hand last year on a canoe trip. I was paddling with the rod stashed at the stern but with the lure still on the line. In the process of landing I hooked my hand. Fortunately, my friend Howard who is very patient, prepared and methodical had a pair of mini pliers in his kit. He very slowly worked it back out the way it went in----fairly painless.

Here's the 180lb loudmouth bass that my daughter caught a couple of years ago. Unhooked it at Soldiers Memorial in Orillia.

Loudmouthbass25pc.jpg

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Almost did that to my dad when i was a kid.Didnt hook him, but the rapala hooked his glasses and his hat and i pitched them into 40 FOW.Saved the hat, lost the glassesblush.gif

I have had a few hooks stuck in me over the years. The worst incident resulted in the scar in the photo.

I had caught a large pike which I was holding in one hand while attempting to remove the Canadian Wiggler with the other. It started thrashing and I ended up with one of the hooks buried in my hand. The whole hook was in right up around the bend and the point and barb were deep in my hand. There was no way I was going to be able to get that hook out myself and the fish was still thrashing. I had a 12 lb fish attached to a hook that was embedded in my hand. All I could do was snip the hook off and since it was so deep, when I cut it right where the 3 hooks in the treble all come together there was only about 1/4 inch of the hook sticking out of my hand.

After a 3 hour wait in the hospital my hand had swelled up and the hook had completely disappeared in my hand. The only choice the Dr. had was to cut it out.

I was advised to never cut off a hook and to come in with the whole lure attached. That wasn't really an option in my case because of the thrashing pike nailed to my left hand. The best option t the time was to get him off me as quick as possible.

hookscar.jpg

Oh...

I remember a close call when I was younger...

When I was a kid... My dad called me Johnny tangle...lol... Cause he only used baitcasters for fishing and as a youngster they can be tricky to use...

So anyways...

I got a bad tangle with my brother one day perch fishing...

Well after 20 minutes or so of dad trying to untangle the mess and me totally zoned out daydreaming...

Don't I feel a tug on my line...

I think you can see where this is going...

So I sets the hook as hard as I can.... Amazingly dad wasn't hooked... But I'll never....ever... Forget the look I got from him...

It just felt like such a good bite...lol