A question to the OFC members

misfish

Members view only  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should OFC be viewed by members only

• YES
    • NO
    • DONT CARE

Im seeing a lot of reports that are being viewed,many many times more then replies to the OP. Myself,theres a lot of free loading going on.

I,m thinking maybe you should be a member to view. If you are truly into fishing and the outdoors,you should join up to view the contents here.

This is just my opinion.

I take no offence if you disagree. :canadian:

Edited by Misfish

That's a good question, Dave. FisherPete has that pegged pretty well. This is the situation as we know it. The number of views vs. the number of replies will never make sense. If I post a fishing report, depending on the time of day, subject title etc...I'll get 5 views. Then someone replies. Once the reply is posted, the 5 people who viewed and myself go back to view the thread again to see what the the reply was. And on it goes. Very soon you end up with 150 views and 4 replies. Very few lurkers come in to read reports because there is just too much to read and they have no search privilege.

So to answer your question, NO, I don't think so.

PS. There are other readers as well....the bots...Google, Yahoo, Bing and the like.

I think that even if we made people take the two minutes to sign up to be able to read posts, most would still just remain as lurkers who just read but don't post...

That is why if I am giving someone information I will either PM or email them. I don't post anything specific on the open form anymore. You want to know what is really going on in my neck of the woods. You PM or email me. If you are a contributor I'll reply, if not, forget it!

That's a good question, Dave. FisherPete has that pegged pretty well. This is the situation as we know it. The number of views vs. the number of replies will never make sense. If I post a fishing report, depending on the time of day, subject title etc...I'll get 5 views. Then someone replies. Once the reply is posted, the 5 people who viewed and myself go back to view the thread again to see what the the reply was. And on it goes. Very soon you end up with 150 views and 4 replies. Very few lurkers come in to read reports because there is just too much to read and they have no search privilege.

So to answer your question, NO, I don't think so.

PS. There are other readers as well....the bots...Google, Yahoo, Bing and the like.

Search priviledge is not needed, you can find anything on google.

I think that even if we made people take the two minutes to sign up to be able to read posts, most would still just remain as lurkers who just read but don't post...

not necessarily true.

Many times at work i've wanted to post a reply to something, but didnt have my login info handy so i didnt bother.

Im sure people may have wanted to add something or post something, but then realize you have to sign up, and just say "forget it"

Maybe a, time/day limit to post,not reply,would help? Im just throwing this out there.

Another thing to add, it took me years to join and I admit that I was snooping a bit, it's way more fun actually being on here, and I regret lurking...

I was deterred by signing up wink.gif

I think that from now on, if someone wants to read one of my musky posts they will have to send me a double cowgirl in the mail first. Roy, can you make that happen... please!!!

Just one cowgirl would be fine with me, Pete. If they happen to be twins well hey, that's fine too! :)

This " problem" exists on all forums. There are some forums where people just sign up to be able to buy and sell in the classified section and never post their views, perhaps because they think that they are much better fishermen than the rest of us. Also lurking occurs on all boards and cannot be controlled. I always go back to view what people have said in threads where I have posted a reply as Roy said this is the point of the forum.

notice this topic has 13 replies 0 views.....try topic hot spot on any lake you want...replies low..views sky rocket ...imagine showing up to fishing spot with 1/3 of views sitting in boats taking bushels of fish home

true fishers will meet face to face and help 1 another..taking from our resources waht is used. not stocked in a freezer....sry bought this rant but seen happen

only board that i'm part of that doesn't have lurking is a members only/invite only board.

every other public board has lurking. i think it's just part of the deal. if anyone can join and be a member, which is the intent of 95% of internet sites, then you just gotta get used to it.

i don't see how making this a members only board would make it any different.

I think that from now on, if someone wants to read one of my musky posts they will have to send me a double cowgirl in the mail first. Roy, can you make that happen... please!!!

All requests and a modest fee for the privilege of viewing Solopaddlers trip reports should be made to me DRIFTER_016 his manager!!!! B)

notice this topic has 13 replies 0 views.....try topic hot spot on any lake you want...replies low..views sky rocket ...imagine showing up to fishing spot with 1/3 of views sitting in boats taking bushels of fish home

true fishers will meet face to face and help 1 another..taking from our resources waht is used. not stocked in a freezer....sry bought this rant but seen happen

Views are not updated real time. They are updated every 3 or 4 hours I believe to cut down on server load.