popping with braid

Jer

One of my favourite ways to fish is top-water bassin', usually with a Rebel Pop'R.

I've almost always used a ML spinning rod with 8lb mono and have the technique down pretty good.

I now find myself with an extra (if there is such a thing) baitcasting rod that I've used before to pop, and it works well, but always with mono. I just recently spooled it up with 30lb PP slick and was wondering how that might affect the action. I want to dedicate the spinning rod to drop-shotting.

Will the braid work alright on top-water? I think it floats so that should be OK, I'm more worried about reeling in slack line leading to birdsnests and also tip-wrap from the jerking action. The hookset may require some practice as well with no stretch.

One of my favourite ways to fish is top-water bassin', usually with a Rebel Pop'R.

I've almost always used a ML spinning rod with 8lb mono and have the technique down pretty good.

I now find myself with an extra (if there is such a thing) baitcasting rod that I've used before to pop, and it works well, but always with mono. I just recently spooled it up with 30lb PP slick and was wondering how that might affect the action. I want to dedicate the spinning rod to drop-shotting.

Will the braid work alright on top-water? I think it floats so that should be OK, I'm more worried about reeling in slack line leading to birdsnests and also tip-wrap from the jerking action. The hookset may require some practice as well with no stretch.

You want the braid over weeds and whatever,the extra strength never hurts. The birds nests go away with a little more practice.I wouldn't fish them any other way.

Put a stiff 20lb mono or fluoro leader on or it will constantly get caught up in your trebles,with the leader it will fish great.

X2 I do the same with a 20# fluoro. The bait caster is spooled with 14# camo braid. Never have any issues, pretty much pull the boat around if need be. rolleyes.gif

Never tried it with a baitcaster, but with a spinning reel, braid is trouble when you jerk and pause. Either top water or jerkbaits. The line goes on slack, and knots eventually when you cast.

I have also found I lose jumping smallies. When they are in the air, as they tip their heads to the rod for a split second, the lines goes slack with braid and makes the hook more able to be spit.

I asked a Pro at the fishing show and they seem to agree.

I think a little stretch is good. I'm still looking for a mono that has less stretch and is still limp. I like the feel of braid but hate the knots. Anybody know of a good mono?

peter

I tried topwaters with braid last year and got used to it pretty quickly. I tie on a rods length of 12lb fluoro and found all the problems relative to the lure fouling solved. Just have to remember that, with braid, all thats needed is a flick of the wrist to set the hook. Long gone are the days that you have to wait and feel the fish as its taking the bait. As soon as the fish makes a commotion, set the hook.

I use braid for most things, but for solid body Frogs/Toads and other top water I have a couple of reels spooled up with 20 mono.

It floats high and the stiffness keeps poppers and glide baits from running over the line and fouling the hooks.

Flourocarbon is a no-no because it sinks.

You can buy a big spool of Berkley Trilene Big Game for a few dollars at CTC.

I use braid quite abit for poppers and the like, no issues with fouling hooks??? I use lighter braid though, usually around 10lb, but have gone as high as 20.

Joey, which braid are you using that sinks??? The vast majority I've used float, and I find mono to sink in between flouro and braid.

One thing I'll say though is much less flick or action is needed to get the desired action, and like mentioned above by Jigger, the hook set don't take much, sometimes I just reel down, other times I set the hook lightly to the side

If I had a separate combo for topwaters I would spool up with mono, otherwise a leader should work fine. I've fished topwaters with straight braid before, and as long as you pay attention to your bait fouling is not a huge issue, nor was sinking. I find that the hookset can be tricky, as with braid it is not a set at all, I just reel when I start to feel tension.

I use braid quite abit for poppers and the like, no issues with fouling hooks??? I use lighter braid though, usually around 10lb, but have gone as high as 20.

Joey, which braid are you using that sinks??? The vast majority I've used float, and I find mono to sink in between flouro and braid.

One thing I'll say though is much less flick or action is needed to get the desired action, and like mentioned above by Jigger, the hook set don't take much, sometimes I just reel down, other times I set the hook lightly to the side

I've used most braids on the market, and have found all of them to sink...slowly, but they do eventually sink. I suppose if you're using an active topwater presentation, it may not be noticeable. Using it on float fishing rigs is usually the time I really notice it.