Big Island Pigeon Lake

Is there any update on the development of the big island on pigeon lake? I did find out it was sold 2 years ago to a guy named Terry Wilson. What I am wanting to know is the island going to be developed? Can one still anchor to the island and set foot upon it. I know last July I did camp on the south end of the island and I did not see any evidence of development. I have been enjoying this island for more then 20 years and I hope to still enjoy it in the future..

they are still selling lots off there is going to be 100 shoreline lots of 1 acre each,supposedly,and its still in the environmental stage and red tape,they also want to build a bridge to the island as well,just what the lake needs more developement but its supposed to be in full swing by 2014 i try to ask about it all the time seeing how i live up there,and as a kid spent many camping trips there,its a shame as its a really cool island with trails and even a few camps on it,but it will be ruined like everything else,oh ya and might even be a marina there too

I wonder about the outter smaller islands at the southern end of the big island I wonder if those are owned by this guy as well... The whole thing saddens me, I really wish it were not to be developed, it's one of the last gems out there. So many of us have fond memories of times past spent on the island.

Friends on the lake suggest things could move at snail's pace as there may be some historical/ burial issues to deal with possibly. or something like this...

and he thought the bridge, while an interesting idea, would be a mega expensive endeavour with more hurdles one can shake a stick at.

Living and working in the area, I'm of two minds on projects such as this. We can certainly use the economic activity in the region, increased tax-base, building, materials, etc. But at the same time, it's a shame to see such a prestine island get developed.

My guess is nothing is going to happen anytime soon, even once approved it will take decades before all the houses are built. The property mentioned in the old thread, Oak Orchards (former 3 Bouys marina), still only has three or four houses built (including the developer himself) and that has been ongoing for five years or so.

Had place across from island since '77 or so.

There has been this talk of development the whole time.

The big signs announcing for sale etc. have been there at least a decade.

Not much has developed in that time.

The musky fishing is still top notch in area though. :Gonefishing:

The lake is already busy enough, I just can't imagine if they fill that island with houses or cottages. So much for historical sites being kept for future generations to enjoy.

Developers would use every last piece of land they could get their hands on if they could. All about $$$$$$ I guess.

I just cannot understand the government or whoever decides on theses sorts of decisions, letting this happen. Great place to camp and enjoy a great unspoiled island...

What about getting fresh water, sewer systems and power to the island. Seems like a huge deal cost wise and the negative effects on nature in the area. Hope it never happens....

Agreed that the government shoulda snapped it up to keep it as is..

Sherriff

What about getting fresh water, sewer systems and power to the island.

Sherriff

Drill a well, dig a septic, run an underwater cable...it's really not that difficult.

Great Muskie spots all over the area up there. My third biggest fish(Muskie) came from the mouth of Nogies Creek.

Wonder how this will affect the conservation fishing of those Muskie in the future. Probably be less quality fish.

Less bait(food) = less trophy fish (apex predators)