Fly fishing setup

davey buoy

Misfish got me thinking the other day. I have a 8/9 weight rod and reel and last fall bought all the lines and what not. Backing,floating line,leader,tippet I think and something else I'm sure.

I almost want to get this rod set up,who,or where can I go to get someone to put it all together the first time so I can at least practice. Than with the plenty of set up videos, change or adjust as I go along. Not lessons yet,just the reel spooled up . Thanks.All the knots for each different size lines is what I don't know.

Edited by davey buoy

i would also like to know some knots for setting up. I attach the backing to fly line via an albright knot currently, this is what i use from there

I have a heavy mono tied to my fly line with an albright(?) knot

I tied an anchor knot in the end of the heavy mono

I tie an anchor knot in the end of my leader leaving a small loop

I use a loop to loop to connect the leader to mono loop attached to the fly line

from there i use either a uni to uni or albright knot to attach the tippit

I'm not sure if that helps. I kinda just patched this all together going off what was on the rod when I bought it (used). i bet someone will chime in with a much better answer haha. i think it is the albright knot i use but not sure.

Edited by Djeep

i would also like to know some knots for setting up. I attach the backing to fly line via an albright knot currently, this is what i use from there

I have a heavy mono tied to my fly line with an albright(?) knot

I tied an anchor knot in the end of the heavy mono

I tie an anchor knot in the end of my leader leaving a small loop

I use a loop to loop to connect the leader to mono loop attached to the fly line

from there i use either a uni to uni or albright knot to attach the tippit

I'm not sure if that helps. I kinda just patched this all together going off what was on the rod when I bought it (used). i bet someone will chime in with a much better answer haha. i think it is the albright knot i use but not sure.

Watched a couple shows,the amount of knots are wild. That's why I'm thinking get set up once and as things deteriorate learn one at a time or so.Lol..

Edited by davey buoy

The main knot for tying backing to flyline and leader to flyline is the Nail Knot.

Best to get a nail knot tool as it makes tying them so much easier.

This is one of the cheapest on the market.

Nail Knot Tool

How to tie the knot

Nail Knot Tying Instructions

The next most important knot is the blood knot or the double UNI.

It is used for tying tippet to leader and tying tapered leaders (unless you by the knotless ones in the tackle store).

Blood Knot Tying Instructions

Here's how I do it...

I use an Arbour Knot to attach backing to the spool

Arbor_Knot.jpg

Then a nail knot to attach the backing to the fly line (make sure you attache it to the end with the "attach this end to the reel" type sticker on it!

Tube%20nailKnot2.jpg

Most fly lines have a loop to attach the leader loop to loop, otherwise I nail knot a piece of mono to the fly line and put a perfection loop in it (surgeons loop would be fine too)

Then use a surgeons knot to attach tippet to the end of the leader and a clinch knot for the fly to tippet.

Djeep - you albrights will work just fine, the nail knots go through the guides a bit easier which is the only difference.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by cuzza

Here's how I do it...

I use an Arbour Knot to attach backing to the spool

Arbor_Knot.jpg

Then a nail knot to attach the backing to the fly line (make sure you attache it to the end with the "attach this end to the reel" type sticker on it!

Tube%20nailKnot2.jpg

Most fly lines have a loop to attach the leader loop to loop, otherwise I nail knot a piece of mono to the fly line and put a perfection loop in it (surgeons loop would be fine too)

Then use a surgeons knot to attach tippet to the end of the leader and a clinch knot for the fly to tippet.

Djeep - you albrights will work just fine, the nail knots go through the guides a bit easier which is the only difference.

Hope that helps :)

It's a little overwhelming,but if I can get a calm time this weekend lol.,maybe I'll start winding the backing on the reel with my first knot and take it from there. Thanks.

Nail Knot is a must know as stated. Looks overwhelming using that straw so I use the Nail-Less Nail Knot which makes it real easy to do anytime.

Double Surgeons Knot is another good one to know for attaching tippet to your leader. Triple Surgeon as well which is just an extra wrap over the Double Surgeon, when using fluorocarbon tippet.

I thought there was a needle type eye,that you could feed into the main line,and tie your lead to it?

Good topic Dave.

Lots of good info from My post,letsgofishing and now yours.

Depends on your leader and flyline.. The Sharkskin I use has a loop, so that's how I put the leader on... No knot required.. As for tippet to leader I'll use a double surgeons.

If I don't have a loop on my flyline, it's a nail knot like Dave mentioned above.

I thought there was a needle type eye,that you could feed into the main line,and tie your lead to it?

Good topic Dave.

Lots of good info from My post,letsgofishing and now yours.

I just learned this stuff over the winter and found that you really need to know 3 knots

Nail knot - backing to main line (tricky and very forgetful)... I found

2 Perfection loops - main line to leader (easy) ... you could also do another nail knot here.

Double surgeons knot - leader to tippet (real easy)

Here are a series of videos I found useful....

For casting technique I found this guy really good. His name is Peter Kutzer and works for Orvis. His videos are pretty good. Subscribe to his channel, he has got a bunch of instructional videos.

I think to start with you really need to know 2 casts ... your normal cast and the roll cast.

Good luck.

Miro

don't forget about the perfection loop.

easier to tie a small portion of mono to the fly line ( if it doesn't have a loop already) with your nail knot, then tie a perfection to the other end. Now all you need to do is loop your leader through that loop and you're set.

I have not had to use a nail knot all my flylines have a welded loop. So I just use loop to loop connection. I have heard that for large fish ie steelhead, salmon, saltwater etc that some welded loops have failed so a nail knot is better. My guess is Drifter_016 (Dave) would know better on this since he lives way up north and from some of his reports chases some very big fish.

Also on the last flyline I purchased it also had a loop at the end to attach to backing so I basically did an albright knot to the backing since I already a welded loop. Again this is only for small trout so I will likely never even get into the backing so i am sure it will hold up fine.