Muskie baitcast reels

boombap

So I recently acquired a muskie rod from a friend of mine, a 6'9" rapala magnum. It isn't top of the line, but it is enough to get me started. I believe it retails for $69.99.. but that's besides the point.

Anyways, muskie fishing is new to me and is something I really want to learn. I'm in the market for a muskie reel and have a seen a few on the bps website that have caught my eye.

http://www.basspro.c...SSELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.basspro.c.../10205090/53500

Baitcasting isn't new to me, but using one of these big conventional reels is. What should I be looking for in a muskie reel? I would be both casting and trolling. I am looking for something in the market between $100-$200.

Also, how would one of these reels work for salmon pier fishing in the fall?

Any input is always appreciated :worthy:

Edited by boombap

If you're starting out and at that price point, just look for a used Abu 6500 series (6501 if you're a lefty) C3 there's lots of them for sale (or just buy new) on ebay, classified, etc. There are better quality reels than the C3 but they i) cannot troll, ii) cannot cast or iii) cost more money.

The C4 and BPS reels you linked are not very good muskie reels. The C4 is too flimsy and the gear ratio is too fast for hard pulling muskie baits -- given the cheap plastic internals, this will cause premature failure on the reel. The previous gen BPS was a chickenpoop reel that had lots of issues - no reason to trust this version either.

If you are only going to buy one, and plan to use it for all your muskie fishing, what you are looking for is a solid reel with as little plastic as possible that has a loud clicker for trolling. A mid-pace gear ratio in the 5.3:1 range will ensure you can cast/troll/retrieve just about anything.

Edited by Raf

Another popular reel in that price range is the Okuma Isis. You've probably heard it before but you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap real now you will just end up buying a better real later. My first musky reel was a C4. I still have it lying around somewhere, but I moved on the a better reel very quickly. If I were you I would look for a used Abu revo toro or a Calcutta B. If you don't like it musky fishing you can sell it for what you paid for it. If you like musky fishing you started with a good reel. If you buy one of the cheaper reels and decide to sell it you are losing half your money.

Good luck trying not to spend money while getting into musky fishing haha. I agree with fishgreg, buy a good reel even if it's an extra $100 if you can fit it in your budget. Or wait a bit, go fishing with somebody who fishes musky and has extra gear you can use to make sure you like it because it's a very expensive hobby.

Edited by Dontcryformejanhrdina

I agree with going the used route.I am like you, just getting into it, and i got myself pretty well set up by buying used.Everything from rod to reel to musky lures, were all purchased used, for a fraction of the cost of new.

Goof luck and remember to show us your first.

Paul

If you are interested in a nice musky setup for a very good price, I would be willing to sell you this combo for $220 (About $80-100 less than retail)

Shimano Compre Musky 7' MH Musky rod, used three times (I can get the model number off the rod if you want)

Abu C4 6600 reel, brand new with box and papers - spooled up this morning with 200 yards of 80lb Powerpro

I will throw in a new Bass Pro Shops neoprene reel cover

I just got a quote for a Trojan Tackle trolling tower and need to free up some cash lol!!!

Let me know if you want pics.

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

If you are interested in a nice musky setup for a very good price, I would be willing to sell you this combo for $220

Shimano Compre Musky 7' MH Musky rod, used three times (I can get the model number off the rod if you want)

Abu C4 6600 reel, brand new with box and papers - spooled up this morning with 200 yards of 80lb Powerpro

I will throw in a new Bass Pro Shops neoprene reel cover

I just got a quote for a Trojan Tackle trolling tower and need to free up some cash lol!!!

Let me know if you want pics.

Pete

Damn nice setup Pete.good.gif

I recently picked up a shimano curado 300E and intend to use it as my Muskie reel. I understand it might be a bit light duty go throwing DC10s all day but maybe that's a good excuse for me to eventually get a Calcutta 400TE.

I also got the 300E to pull double duty as a salmon and trout reel

I have a Abu Garcia 7000i (red baitcaster)

I use it for both casting and trolling. Its a 4:1 gear ratio I believe.

I love it and I think they are $130 or so at Lebarons.

Can handle big lures and not break your arm but I can also burn smaller lures as well.