Greetings from the other side

l2p

Last weekend was all but a buzz to me, the trout opener was a great time with good people as usual with many fish to go around. Usually id have been out all week on the rivers but this year would be something different, the following Monday after opener I was scheduled to fly out and begin my trip to South East Asia.

Here are some shots from the weekend,

oP4283883.jpg

oP4293911.jpg

oP4283888.jpg

oP4293916.jpg

Being the unorganized person that I am I spent all week before opener planning and scouting for the following weekend and of-course that left me with ALOT of packing to do Sunday night, well that didnt happen since we barely got 2 hrs sleep all weekend and soon as I got home from the tribs I passed out :wallbash: Was woken up by my brother Monday morn dazed and still got steelhead in my head. I packed hastily for the two months that im down here, im sure I forgot a couple things lol. As it isnt my first time going down these ways I knew that I had a daunting flight ahead of me, almost a whole day in the air with a single stop over at Narita Japan my brother and I arrived early Tuesday(here) and went straight to work. Checked out a couple local tackle shops to figure out the needs and wants and to ask for the basic info that id need while im down here.

Basically there are freshwater canals and reservoirs scattered all around this little country they call Singapore, these waterways mainly hold Peacock bass that were stocked into these waters and different Snakehead species that are native to the area. Also Singapore is essentially an island off the tip of Malaysia so that means that there is ocean surrounding me! :thumbsup_anim: The fishing opportunities are however quite minimal as most places have designated fishing areas which are usually crowded. There are tonnes of pay ponds all over the place however, stocked with anything from 30-40 kg giant red tail cats to Tilapia. Seems like majority of the people prefer these ponds as to fishing else where and after Google mapping the country its easy to tell why(you can drive around the country in less than a day).

Well this afternoon I was able to sneak out for a quick hour and biked over to the nearest reservoir in the area, by the time I got there(got lost lol) it was already well into the late evening and the sun had already started going down. Not that thats a bad thing because around lunch the temps soared to over 30 deg Celsius and with the quick rain we had the humidity was just unbearable, for me anyway hah. Couple casts to some wood in the water proved fish less to my surprise so I moved to the other designated fishing area on this reservoir, id only have 15 or so mins left to fish at this point as ive already been hailed to come back for dinner, was my Grandmothers Birthday. The water here was quite feature less so I just started to bomb my lure as far out as I could cast, no luck still and coming up to the last cast point I decided id go back to the wood at the first spot since it was on my route back home. First cast out looked like I spooked a fish holding under the surface as there was a big boil soon as my lure hit the water, started to work it back when I felt a massive tug but alas I missed it. With my phone ringing knowing it was the family I casted one more time, hit the same spot but this time as soon as the lure landed the water below it exploded, gave it a couple seconds to make sure it had it good(actually watched my line start taking off) closed the bail and gave er! After a quick tussle I had my first ever Peacock on shore!

PB.jpg

These fish are closely comparable to a largemouth on a roid rage! clearing the water several times and bulldogging right down into the thick weeds. After a quickly admiring its colors and a quick Iphone pic back in she went, its now 3:24 am and still jet lagged Im anxiously waiting for first light so I can get back out there! :w00t:

More pics to come and sorry for the long read :whistling: like I said, its 3:24 am and im still wide eyed lol

Sounds like a plan bro, but I think we need to gather the boys first to visit you on the west coast! :thumbsup_anim:

also hope to add Giant snakehead to the list, and as much as I hate fishing stocked ponds I may have to swallow my pride and go for a day trip for some of these monsters!

http://www.fishingparadise.com.sg/Catch%20Report%20-%20February%202011/images/7.jpg

Good too see you getting out and catching some!

But with this as the title

Greetings from the other side

I thought I had passed on and gone on to the 'firey' :devil: place and was still able to get on the internet... :unsure:

hahaha i thought itd be fitting seeing as Singapore is quite literally on the other side of the world! Btw apologies for not getting back to you on your pm, I read it but for some reason didn't reply then and it slipped my mind. If you havent already there are good deals to be had on the for sale section of floatfishing.net

Victor, Ive brought one down with me and will def put it to use. Just opted to fish with lures yesterday!

Misfish, its the pan slammers in pink! ;)I fish it on a jig head as opposed to a plain hook like regular pinkies!

Stop fabricating lies! I caught those Steelhead and that brown, you didn't catch anything past weekend. :blahblah1: Its easy to catch snake-heads, it was a piece of cake for Jeremy Wade. Impress me by catching a steelhead in South Asia! :sarcasm: Have a good trip!

hahaha i thought itd be fitting seeing as Singapore is quite literally on the other side of the world! Btw apologies for not getting back to you on your pm, I read it but for some reason didn't reply then and it slipped my mind. If you havent already there are good deals to be had on the for sale section of floatfishing.net

no worries man, I'm in NO rush. Have a good trip and let's see what we can cath when you get back :thumbsup_anim: