Walleye Recipies?? List them.....

beerman

Another one I tried was Gerritts own creation, it's fantastic! Funny thing is the first time I tried his recipe. I grabbed the only baking powder I could find... as it turned out the baking powder was given to my wife, from her aunt, for playdoe recipes or something like that for my daughter....and I ended up using it. Well.....it was from 1986! Haha, but the fish\batter still turned out fantastic, go figure.

Also flying in June 1 I make a walley ceviche thats great on crackers for a before dinner snack keeps well also for next day. Cut fillets into small cubes and marinate with chopped onion garlic in lime juice for about 3 hrs.Then add chopped tomatoes avocado cilantro and hot peppers great with a beer.Have a great trip Unknown is anice lake with a great cabin

My favorite is walleye on the grille... With lemon pepper and garlic... And a cold molson...

Not sure if you can tell, but I am very excited about our trip this year.. It will be my 12 year old sons first time... I have been going to cochrane air for 15 years now... This year I could care less if I fished.. I am more excited to watch and enjoy my sons re-actions, excitement, etc...... Gonna be fun!

Also flying in June 1 I make a walley ceviche thats great on crackers for a before dinner snack keeps well also for next day. Cut fillets into small cubes and marinate with chopped onion garlic in lime juice for about 3 hrs.Then add chopped tomatoes avocado cilantro and hot peppers great with a beer.Have a great trip Unknown is anice lake with a great cabin

That sounds soooooooo good! clapping.gif

Love the concept. For me, I will prep all this and get it in the fridge at lunch and pull it out fot a dinner appetizer.

Thanks for sharing.

Take an egg and a very small amount of milk and whip in a bowl.

Layout italian bread crumb on a flat plate.

Dip fillets into egg/milk and then flip it a couple times on the italian bread crumb and into the pan they go.

• 1 month later...

Hey Johnt7

I made the Walleye Ceviche on my trip in Wabakimi. Everyone loved it. It was fantastic and my group will be doing this in future trips. clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Man there are some good-looking dishes and ideas here! Making me hungry!

Here is another vote for beer-batter using Aunt Jemima's buttermilk pancake batter mix, of course substitute Molson for milk, eggs, seasoning salt and lemon juice. Make it fairly thin, dip the fillets in flour and then into the batter and in the skillet.

I am going to try the bacon-wrapped fillets, either on the grill or in the fryer (or maybe both!)

We've done the ceviche on a couple trips (lots of lime juice, onion, herbs, etc) but a biologist buddy at the MNR mentioned something - ceviche will "cook" the fish but it generally won't harm any parasites. The lake we were fishing had the odd worm problem so he suggested we should avoid the ceviche.

Anyhow, just something to think about that. That said - it was dang fantastic - even the camp fox agreed:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"'>http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=d8f83be4d7&photo_id=2755767716"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=d8f83be4d7&photo_id=2755767716" height="480" width="640"></embed></object>

And here's the Ceviche "brewing"

2755756926_5de0e1ed77.jpg

Ceviche by Sean Maurik, on Flickr

Edited by TbayBoy

Yep, on a fly-in you need some diversity. Nice form with the bacon wrapped Walleye Kabobs, Kickingfrog. clapping.gif

Walleye Chesterfield:

Season fillets with some lemon pepper and place on cookie sheet on foil.

Make a mixture of mayo and dijon mustard @ 50/50 and spread on top of the fillets.

Bake for 5 minutes @ 375 and put a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top, bake another 5 minutes. I like to use the broiler for the final minute or so.

At my old restaurant, I made a version of this using salmon and yes it was called Salmon Chesterfield.

Ahhhh, now we know why you guys eat 5* on fishing trips!

Not sure how many have tried this, I only heard of it last year.. But crushing up all dressed chips to add to the "crisp" - was a nice twist

This is how we do our fish. Eat the first half of the bag, use the second half for the crisp. The bag even saves a dish because you use it to hold the crisp.

Hello,

We are getting ready for our annual fly in with Cochrane Air this June. Going to Unknown lake for a week.. Cannot wait.. Anyways, all you fishermen, list your walleye recipies....

We usually make...

Beer battered.

Bread Crumbed walleye

Grilled walleye

Walleye Tacos

Please list some other things for us to try!!! Thanks

Here's a simple but dynamite recipe that even the "pan fried only" gang will love. Take a foil pan or simple foil and coat lightly with small amount of oil. Place fillets and sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper seasoning on both sides (penzey's is the absolute best if you can find it). Then take a lemon cut in half and drizzle the fillets with the juice by sticking a fork in the lemon. Bake at 450-500 degrees until fillets turn white. Then take the other half of the lemon and drizzle that juice over the fillets. Did this last week and the 2 skeptics of anything other than fried loved it so much that they wanted more. And to top it off, a very healthy option.

Honey Fried Walleye Fillets

Serves 4.

1 egg beaten

1 teaspoon honey

1 cup coarsely crushed soda crakers

1/3 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper

1 ½ lbs. Walleye or substitute fillets (skin removed)

In a small mixing bowl, combine egg and honey. In shallow dish, combine crackers, flour, salt and pepper. Dip fillets first in egg mixture and then dredge in cracker mixture to coat.

In a 12" skillet, heat 1/8 inch oil over medium heat. Add fillets. Fry for 4 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, turning over once. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Serve with lemon wedges and additional honey for drizzling.