bilge pumps, live-well pumps ?

rob v

So I'm getting my boat out of moth balls and making sure things are working as they should be. Motor starts and most other things are working okay.

I try and make sure everything's drained when I put my boat away in the fall and I usually put some plumbing anti freeze in the live-well lines etc. So today I find out my bilge pump is completely seized - won't turn at all.

This bloody thing is only two years old and is a royal pain in the touche to get at. While getting at it I bust the live-wll pump. So now I need a couple of these things.

The last ones I bought came from my local CTC store - their "Sea-sense" line.

My question - is there something I should do to these things at the end of the season to increase their longevity ?

Is there a particular model that may be better than the others ?

And finally - is there something I should treat the connections with to make them easier to get apart next time ?

I know there's some folks out there with experience with this kinda thing - and I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Thx.

X2 on the rule pumps, one they are the most reliable i have found and when they do burn out you can just replace a motor cartridge as opposed to replumbing everything, repladed my mayfair 500gph pumps 4 years ago with rule 800 and have worked great since, the seasense bilge i put in lasted two years pos, will get my local marina to order my a rule for that as well

Replaced my Mayfair livewell pump last year (26 years old) with another Mayfair and they are also now a cartridge type....my bilge pump is 27 years old...

I do NOTHING to them except try to run all the water out of them....they have many times have been left on and ran dry for 2-3 hours on the way home......but I'm sure they don't make them like that any more....probably Chinese junk now.... :rolleyes:

Edited to say bilge pump...not livewell pump is 27 years old.

Edited by Billy Bob

You're kinda stuck, unless you want to do a more complete upgrade.

Rule pumps may be a bit better than CTC's Seasense, but if you're looking at Rule's smaller pumps, they're still way down in the quality pile. When you get down in the model lineup, like the Rule 1100 and below, they are mass produced, using cheap materials, just like your failed pumps. If you really don't want to change this pump again, jump up in the Rule line to at least the 1500. Even better, install a Jabsco pump. Even Jabsco's smallest diaphragm pump will last for many years, is totally serviceable, and since it's a diaphragm pump, it will dry the bilge right out.

As you bump up bilge pump size, don't forget you'll need larger conductor cable supplying it, and larger discharge hose. Unfortunately, there's no free lunch.

If you elect to stick with a cheaper Rule pump, like the 500, look for the models with the quick release bases. Rule calls them snap lock strainers. At least this way, it's an easy change for you when it fails.

You're kinda stuck, unless you want to do a more complete upgrade.

Rule pumps may be a bit better than CTC's Seasense, but if you're looking at Rule's smaller pumps, they're still way down in the quality pile. When you get down in the model lineup, like the Rule 1100 and below, they are mass produced, using cheap materials, just like your failed pumps. If you really don't want to change this pump again, jump up in the Rule line to at least the 1500. Even better, install a Jabsco pump. Even Jabsco's smallest diaphragm pump will last for many years, is totally serviceable, and since it's a diaphragm pump, it will dry the bilge right out.

As you bump up bilge pump size, don't forget you'll need larger conductor cable supplying it, and larger discharge hose. Unfortunately, there's no free lunch.

If you elect to stick with a cheaper Rule pump, like the 500, look for the models with the quick release bases. Rule calls them snap lock strainers. At least this way, it's an easy change for you when it fails.

yup for sure everyone has a cheapy line these days, i put the tournament series of rules in my boat but the series # i forget

I should have mentioned this before... Pump location and installation is every bit as important as make/quality. Of the many boats I've owned, only 1 had the bilge pumps installed properly by the factory.

Here's a link to some good reading on bilge pumps.

Even small fishing boats should have a minimum of 2 pumps, installed properly. And if you leave your boat in the water unattended, you really must have at least 2 pumps on float switches or solid state water sensors.