shot gun question, NF

chris.brock

I bought a 12 gauge, smooth barrel, remington shotgun. I want to get familiar with it and try firing some slugs. The gun came with an extended full choke. I went to Lebarons and asked for a choke and some suitable slugs. The guy gave me a "skeet II" choke. From what I have found online, that choke is between a modified and an improved. I would think an improved or cylinder choke would be the best. Did the guy screw up? Is it safe for me and the gun to shoot slugs and buckshot through that choke?

It's safe......you might of been better off with a rifle choke and then shoot sabot slugs through it.....I say "might" because I never did this...

But you're right a NO CHOKE would be best for foster type rifled slugs....but I don't think it will make all that much difference.

Happy Hunting,

Bob

Big Dave....how's the performance with that rifled choke on a smooth bore shotgun ? ? ?

Not too bad really.

I'm sure a rifled barrel would be better but it's pretty consistent out to 50-75 yds.

I used it when I lived in Ontario for white tails (mostly hunted cedar swamps and the shooting was pretty close). Now it's used for bear defence when camping and hiking in the bush. ;)

Out to 75 yards sound great....beats buying a fully rifled barrel if you don't use it much... :thumbsup_anim:

Exactly. I only huted white tails about 1/2 dozen times so the expense of a rifled barrel was not worth it to me. If I was a huge white tail hunter you can bet I would have bought a barrel though. ;)

I was planning on taking a few shots this weekend. I don't care right now about performance, just damage to the gun or me. Is the skeet II tighter than a regular skeet?

There are 3 different skeet tubes Light Skeet, Skeet and Improved Skeet.

Constriction is .003", .005" and .007".

Cylinder choke is .000".

.005" is like the thickness of a piece of paper.

It will be fine. ;)

I was planning on taking a few shots this weekend. I don't care right now about performance, just damage to the gun or me. Is the skeet II tighter than a regular skeet?

Yes, really only have seen over/unders with a skeet II barrel, typically only used for the second shot on doubles and it is a bit tighter as the 2nd shot is usually farther away.

Its fine to shoot slugs from that choke. My dad shoots slugs out of his modified choke no problems. For buckshot I use full choke. I just wouldnt shoot slugs out of anything tighter than a modified or you can damage the barrel.

Been shooting an 870 express magnum for 20+ years, what ever choke happened to be in it at the time. In those 20 years I have NEVER missed a single deer I shot at using slugs or 00 buck and I've often shot more than one deer at a sitting. You'll be fine! Just take a couple of shots with what ever you want to use so you are use to the gun then quit worrying. Take your time, go for the heart shot, and you'll drop that deer every time.

ok, thanks guys, I'll probably stop in quickly at Tromblay's in Orrilia to see if they have an improved choke for that gun, if not, I'll just use the skeet II

I was surprised that Remington didn't include any info on chokes and ammo with the gun

If you are going to buy more chokes for your gun check out als corner store. http://www.alscornerstore.ca/

They sell carlsons choke tubes and thats what I have replaced all of my tubes with. You dont need a million different chokes. I have a mod, full, and a turkey choke. I have never shot slugs but dads fixed mod choke gun spits them out pretty good.

Been shooting an 870 express magnum for 20+ years, what ever choke happened to be in it at the time. In those 20 years I have NEVER missed a single deer I shot at using slugs or 00 buck and I've often shot more than one deer at a sitting. You'll be fine! Just take a couple of shots with what ever you want to use so you are use to the gun then quit worrying. Take your time, go for the heart shot, and you'll drop that deer every time.

Mine's an SPS Camo 870. :good: :good:

I have other shot guns but that's my main huntin' shot gun.

I have an old Belgian side by side that I bought for doubles shoots at the gun club when I was back East. And my favorite shot gun is a Weatherby Orion over/under I used for trap and sporting clays.

Used to shoot for the Sydenham club in Owen Sound. :good: :good:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

ok, thanks guys, I'll probably stop in quickly at Tromblay's in Orrilia to see if they have an improved choke for that gun, if not, I'll just use the skeet II

I was surprised that Remington didn't include any info on chokes and ammo with the gun

Chris, come over here one day and we'll take the guns out, I can promise you that as long as you can keep your cool and pick your shots, you'll put a deer on the ground every time. I have also never missed dropping one with my cross bow and I only get one shot!

Chris, come over here one day and we'll take the guns out, I can promise you that as long as you can keep your cool and pick your shots, you'll put a deer on the ground every time. I have also never missed dropping one with my cross bow and I only get one shot!

Reminds me of something a buddy of mine once said ...." I havent missed one that I have hit yet " :whistling: