Waterproof tackle bag?

scugpg

I'm trying to track down a tackle bag that is waterproof and can hold 3700 series tackle boxes. Cabelas seems to have some nice bags but mixed reviews on waterproof ness. Anyone have one that works for them? Make and model would be great. Thank you.

I just ordered one of These from Bass Pro this week. Solopaddler had one on our Attawapiskat trip last spring and I really liked it so I will have one of the 24"X12"X12" models in the boat this year. It will hold a bunch of those 3700 series boxes.

Nice bag...I think my wife has one.... :rofl2:

Only kidding or am I...LOL...but not waterproof....

Tackle bag and waterproof....does not exist. A tackle bag is made for easy access to tackle. This means that it is not sealed. You can just put your tackle bag in a plastic bag if you want it to be waterproof. I have no doubts that a bag like the one at Cabela's is about as waterproof as you can get because I have a similar one and everything stays nice and dry inside the bag. When I close the zipper, it's hard to deflate the bag so it's about as air and water tight as anything I've used so far. There are seal-able pockets in the sack for important papers and small items like a camera. As for fishing tackle, it's made to go in the water and whatever is inside the trays will stay dry if you don't leave the lids open.

Now....if you want to go canoeing and you need to carry stuff that needs to stay dry, there are lots of options but don't look for them in the tackle bag department. There are household containers that are air-tight. Maybe a cooler could do the job for you. The 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with plastic cover is another good inexpensive solution.

Pricey but I love my Watershed bags ( I have the Ocoee and Chatooga) for waterproof storage on paddle trips where the likelihood of immersion is high. It's basically an industrial strength rubber double row zip loc type closure. Haven't heard a bad thing about them from any friends who use them. May not be practical if you need to access your tackle box frequently.

Other option is to get a Pelican case and set that up as a tackle box. These are def waterproof (as long as one remembers to close the purge valve).

I just ordered one of These from Bass Pro this week. Solopaddler had one on our Attawapiskat trip last spring and I really liked it so I will have one of the 24"X12"X12" models in the boat this year. It will hold a bunch of those 3700 series boxes.

Another vote for this bag.

Thats what I use

TDunn

I have one too.. I use for everything, boating, quadding, snowmobiling.. Pretty much everything I do outside!! It's a really good value for the amount of use I get out of it.

That BPS bag seems to cover off most of what I'm after, was hoping there would be some side pockets. Anyone have experience with these:

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1188&section2=1298&ID=1205

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1188&section2=1298&ID=37456

Don't think they are officially waterproof, but might be resistant enough to at least keep the rain out?

I use one of those big blue plastic storage bins $15 at Zellers or Walmart... the lid keeps the rain out and the big deep bin ensures that even with a foot of rainwater in the boat from an overnight downpour - everything inside stays dry (which includes cold weather and rain gear as well as tackle ... not to mention snacks)... saves three trips to and from the boat with all the odds and ends I throw in there ... and the lid is at just the right height for keeping a plano box or two out and handy for the day ... I'd never go back to the old 'waterproof' bag inside a garbage bag for backup.

I use one of those big blue plastic storage bins $15 at Zellers or Walmart... the lid keeps the rain out and the big deep bin ensures that even with a foot of rainwater in the boat from an overnight downpour - everything inside stays dry (which includes cold weather and rain gear as well as tackle ... not to mention snacks)... saves three trips to and from the boat with all the odds and ends I throw in there ... and the lid is at just the right height for keeping a plano box or two out and handy for the day ... I'd never go back to the old 'waterproof' bag inside a garbage bag for backup.

GOOD IDEA.... :)