Trout Worms?

atvaholic

My bait shop keeps saying he will get them next week...I need quite a few so was wondering if anyone knows who has them.

I'm guessing for Algonquin? Regular nightcrawlers work just fine imo.

Don't overthink these fish, they're really pretty dumb. :)

You should just pick your own. I fish for brook trout all the time and I use the biggest juiciest nightcrawlers I can find. I only use the front part of the worm. The part with the head. I just thread my hook through the worm, starting at the point where it was cut and then expose the point of the hook about 2/3 of the part that was cut and let the tip of the worm move about freely. The worm is pushed up over the knot on the Gamakatsu hook and it looks like a leach.....nice and straight. It's way better than bunching up a small worm on the hook. If I don't get a bite within 30 minutes (which is very rare), I change the worm for a fresh one.

When anchored, I cut up the tail end of the worm into 3 or 4 pieces and throw them in the water around my boat or canoe. It doesn't take long for trout to crowd around me.

Sinker - Down here in Niagara

Solo - Yep! For Algonquin. I do have some night crawlers, I may have to go with them.

Dabluz _ I just may have to. I used to all the time but im just old & lazy now.

I'll be in the park myself opening weekend and nightcrawlers will be on the menu.

I'll be throwing muddlers and beadhead leeches on my fly rod, then the dirt fly only if necessary. ;)

I'll be in the park myself opening weekend and nightcrawlers will be on the menu.

I'll be throwing muddlers and beadhead leeches on my fly rod, then the dirt fly only if necessary. ;)

good luck! Im up the 3rd of may until the next monday. Hope to eat some fresh fish :-)

Cant say I'd know what to do with a fly rod but whats another hobby I guess..

Hahaha - I'll be there too friend. And I'll be hitting that spot ;) we talked about. Can't wait. Leaving on the night of 27th and coming back on the 1st.

Can't wait to get this fish off my mind ... haunting me all winter.

Miro

good luck! Im up the 3rd of may until the next monday. Hope to eat some fresh fish :-)

Hey good luck to you too!!

Hahaha - I'll be there too friend. And I'll be hitting that spot ;) we talked about. Can't wait. Leaving on the night of 27th and coming back on the 1st.

Can't wait to get this fish off my mind ... haunting me all winter.

Miro

Good stuff Miro, and best of luck to you as well.

Here's hoping the weather is good up there for everyone.

I'll be looking forward to reading reports from both of you guys!

Cheers

Hey good luck to you too!!

Good stuff Miro, and best of luck to you as well.

Here's hoping the weather is good up there for everyone.

I'll be looking forward to reading reports from both of you guys!

Cheers

I hope the trout gods smile upon all of us again! Here is a little teaser from last year...

trout.jpg

My bait shop keeps saying he will get them next week...I need quite a few so was wondering if anyone knows who has them.

i have a few hundred in the basement :whistling:

they're a pain to find so i went with a vermicompost bin in my basement. the worms breed like crazy in the bin and they turn food scraps into primo fertilizer rather quickly. win win B)

i have a few hundred in the basement :whistling:

they're a pain to find so i went with a vermicompost bin in my basement. the worms breed like crazy in the bin and they turn food scraps into primo fertilizer rather quickly. win win B)

Was almost thinking the same thing, if you live near a farm or know some farmer that has a dung pile, great place to find Trout worms. :good:

What are 'trout worms"? Different from regular garden worms that you an dig? I've found that garden worms are tougher and stay on the hook longer than night crawlers.

trout worms aka red wigglers are much smaller than nightcrawlers/earthworms and only grow to 3-4" max. plus, they survive under water longer and wiggle on the hook a lot more than nightcrawlers. they're a much better worm for fishing.

trout worms aka red wigglers are much smaller than nightcrawlers/earthworms and only grow to 3-4" max. plus, they survive under water longer and wiggle on the hook a lot more than nightcrawlers. they're a much better worm for fishing.

I find that the little light brown garden worms are like that as well. But maybe I should get out there and do more 'research' on a few lakes and streams just to put that conclusion on a solid scientific footing.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Knuguy