Lower Niagara help needed

Roy

Well I can't get any GLtrout for the tourney from here so this weekend I'm hitting the lower Niagara. Anyone one got any hot tips for me? Keep it clean. :D I imagine I'll be drifting but hey, I'm a complete noob at this so any help would be most welcome and certainly appreciated. Thanks folks.

Well I can't get any GLtrout for the tourney from here so this weekend I'm hitting the lower Niagara. Anyone one got any hot tips for me? Keep it clean. :D I imagine I'll be drifting but hey, I'm a complete noob at this so any help would be most welcome and certainly appreciated. Thanks folks.

Hey cool! Can I assume you'll be in a boat?

If you're at all interested in a little walk and wade fishing for even half a day I'd be happy to guide you on a different system not too far from the Niagara.

Lots of fish guaranteed. My little guy put over 20 on the bank himself recently. ;)

Thanks Mike I really appreciate the offer. I'll be with some others there so I don't yet know what the itinerary is like but I'll let you know as soon as I have something. And your " lil guy" is starting to make me sick y'know that? :D Thanks Mike, I'll let you know really quickly.

here a tip Roy

make sure you do a fine net job on my teamates fish ;)

Here's a better one Mark.....your teamates are also my teamates cause we're both on the same team. :)

Thanks Mike I really appreciate the offer. I'll be with some others there so I don't yet know what the itinerary is like but I'll let you know as soon as I have something. And your " lil guy" is starting to make me sick y'know that? :D Thanks Mike, I'll let you know really quickly.

No problem Roy and take your time, no rush.

Anytime you're down this way you've got an open invite.

From what I've been hearing, rainbow spawn has been the go-to bait down there recently. I haven't fished it for a couple of weeks, but when I was down there last, I had a couple good takes on streamers. I was float fishing (from shore), but I imagine they're gorging on the same stuff further out as well :) Water should be crystal clear for the foreseeable future; no SW winds in the forecast. Another point to keep in mind is that the daytime water levels are now back to the summertime average. The bows should be stacking up pretty good in there right now, so best of luck Roy! Gonefishing.gif

Edited by niagarangler

U-B-Fishing eggs were always good from a boat but other plastic eggs work well too. They hold on the hook better than natural eggs. If the water is clear the trout usually hold on the second ledge and beyond out from the shoreline. One guy used to drift spinners instead of eggs and flies. Never tried it but from shore spinners, spoons, crankbaits and jigs, both bucktail and plastic, work well. A New York State license is pretty much a must as well since, from a boat,there are more drifts on the New York state side.

Egg sacks and or Kwickfish lures drifted on a 3 way rig is the basic set up in the lower Niagara River....get out early, especially if your fishing on a weekend....many good drifts along the Canadian and NYS side of the river.....if things are slow head down river and drift or TROLL near the mouth for coho's and or brown trout that are in the shallows right now along the shore line. You shouldn't have any trouble catching lots of fish right now if the weather holds.

Good Luck,

Bob

I'll tell you everything you need to know Roy (or not) when you stop in for a beer. ;)thumbsup_anim.gif

You must be special Roy. I didnt get offered a beer. :whistling: Yu believe they still drink coffee at 10:30 AM? :tease:

Have a great time brudder.

Edited by Misfish

Thanks Aaron! Nice to hear from you.

Ok Phil, now I have to go shopping again?

You'll need some soft plastic minnows (Gulp, Fin-S, etc), soft plastic eggs (exude, Trigger-X, Jensen egg, etc), box of coloured beads, various streamer flies that imitate smelt and emerald shiners, a variety of Kwikfish, spinners and spoons, pink worms in sizes 3" to 6", marabou & bunny jigs, tons of leader material and split shots (just in case you lose lots), hooks in sizes 2 through 14, a new centrepin reel and a new float rod (make that 2 combos)

Phil said I get a 25% commission on each sale made from you :D

Edited by MJL

Thanks everyone. It's still hard to believe how much help is available here. With Emails, personal messages and of course this thread, I've received tons of valuable information to help me out. Thanks again and I should be able to answer the rest of the messages some time this morning.