New to me Honda 450 s foreman

farsider

My buddy and I just grabbed a 2000 Honda 450 S Foreman.

It is my first ATV. We are plannning on using it for Ice Fishing, and back lake fishing, and I thought I would use it for hunting.

What should I be thinking about or planning to do to it?

We wanted to grab a 2up seat. Where would be the best place to find one? Any brand preferences? I am in the GTA and down in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge almost every weekend.

I also wanted to put a winch on. Any experiences with different brands? Mounting requirements? Advice?

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Edited by farsider

Sorry to tell U, but riding 2 on an ATV is illegal. If U R on Simcoe you'll get fined for sure. OPP & MNR R out there alot.

Where are you getting that from? Nothing in the ORV Act prohibiting it off road.

On the roads where legal to operate an ATV is another story. There you can be fined under the HTA.

My buddy and I just grabbed a 2000 Honda 450 S Foreman.

It is my first ATV. We are plannning on using it for Ice Fishing, and back lake fishing, and I thought I would use it for hunting.

What should I be thinking about or planning to do to it?

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

If you haven't already done so, you need to register and insure it. It's mandatory. Here's a link:

http://www.gorideontario.com/en/atv/travel_tips/things_to_know

Slayer

I asked a conservation officer on Lake Simcoe 2 years ago about riding with 2 people. He stated it was illegal on the ice. This topic has been discussed in the past & the replies I read at the time even stated that U cannot have a passenger even with a 2up seat. So now we question - why do they sell ATVS with a 2 up seat?

Edited by wormdunker

If you buy a trailer to take it to the lake.Hook the trailer to the Quad,put all your gear plus your Friends and go out that way. Every one must have helmets.That what I do, and have not had any problems.

Thats what I do as well - never had a problem.

222379_5032599427_780449427_190346_6816_n.jpg

Have a look at royal distributing in Guelph, they have a bunch of 2 ups on the shelf as well as winches

Thanks Dan, I will make it a point to get up there. Is there a specific design people liked? I have seen them with small storage, Big storage (helmets and jerry cans), Hand holds and without, Brake lights or not, quick release On and Off, etc.

Try kijji for the seat.

Good idea. I actually tried on there a few weeks ago but only found a couple. I'll try again.

Hey the foreman is a sweet ride, but im not sure I would ride 2 adults on it unless it was a super smooth trail. I used to ride 2 up with my nephew, until he turned about 14. It was too difficult to control on hills, bumbs, etc. Definatly try Kijiji.

We were only going to use the 2 up for Ice Fishing and I guess some back lakes, and then never very fast. You still had issues when both riders were leaning appropriately?

If you haven't already done so, you need to register and insure it. It's mandatory. Here's a link:

http://www.gorideontario.com/en/atv/travel_tips/things_to_know

Slayer

Good point. Already plated and insured.

canadain tire just had a 3000 lb remote winch on sale for 59.99$ not sure if still on

Thats cheap! Any experience with the brand? Any experience with units made in PRC compared to US made?

If you buy a trailer to take it to the lake.Hook the trailer to the Quad,put all your gear plus your Friends and go out that way. Every one must have helmets.That what I do, and have not had any problems.

That actually could work for us. Any issues in deeper snow? We actually thought we would tow our Ice sled behind and just throw the quad in the bed when travelling but this way has some positive advantages.

Thanks for everybodys advice,

Mark

Where are you getting that from? Nothing in the ORV Act prohibiting it off road.

On the roads where legal to operate an ATV is another story. There you can be fined under the HTA.

I'd be interested to hear more on how LEOs on Lake Simcoe could charge you for riding 2-up. Yes, 2-up is prohibited on the province's roads, and in Provincial parks, but how can that be enforced on lakes?

I asked a conservation officer on Lake Simcoe 2 years ago about riding with 2 people. He stated it was illegal on the ice. This topic has been discussed in the past & the replies I read at the time even stated that U cannot have a passenger even with a 2up seat. So now we question - why do they sell ATVS with a 2 up seat?

I have heard of people getting charged for riding 2 up also. From what I have heard the add on seats are illegal but the bikes built with 2 seats and say on the sticker that they can have 2 riders are legal. On the other hand we have been riding with 2 people on our bike for a few years now and havent had a problem with the co's. Likely as long as you have your helmets on and your driving responsibly there will be no issues.

I have heard of people getting charged for riding 2 up also. From what I have heard the add on seats are illegal but the bikes built with 2 seats and say on the sticker that they can have 2 riders are legal. On the other hand we have been riding with 2 people on our bike for a few years now and havent had a problem with the co's. Likely as long as you have your helmets on and your driving responsibly there will be no issues.

The ORV requires helmets. It also refers to drivers or those who ride on or on a conveyance towed by an ATV. If a rider was not legal than why would they require helmets for those not drivers but riders?

Helmet

19. (1) No person shall drive an off-road vehicle or ride on an off-road vehicle or on a conveyance towed by an off-road vehicle unless he or she is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations, securely fastened under his or her chin with a chin strap. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.4, s. 19 (1).

Taken from: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90o04_e.htm

Edited by Woodsman