Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C4 round reel

davey buoy

Had a great conversation with a fellow member about a all purpose reel. Would only target muskie once or twice a year at most. He recommended the c4 .I was still thinking of the Canean,but this is a far stronger reel for about the same price.($100-$110).Looks really nice,but just wondering it's probably a little to much for a bass/Pike reel on a regular basis.

I just hate the idea of having a nice reel like that and might not even use it in a year for it's intended purpose.I already have a spider stinger bait caster on a nice 6'6" abu rod. My original thought was to buy the canean to use for everything,but now finding out maybe not enough "umphh" for the big,big boys.Any other thoughts or recommendations would be welcome! davey

Edited by davey buoy

Those Abu's are the best reel in the price range for throwing big heavy baits, and big water trolling. Awesome reels.

X2

I have the Ambassadeur C4 5601 (lefty) and I love it. This reel is truly a quality multi-purpose reel, and it's tough. I mostly use it for pike trolling, but as mentioned above, it is a great casting reel for larger baits. I've even run it out on Lake Ontario a few times with a dypsey... You would not be dissapointed with this reel.

That being said, I also bought a Caenan last summer which I use mostly for bass fishing. Also a nice reel, but if you're hoping to get into some ski's, I'd want the C4.

Both great reels IMO. thumbsup_anim.gif

With all of the types,sizes,retrieve ratios,etc, does an "ALL" purpose real even exist? I sure hope not, cause i own 5 different reels now to cover the types of fishing i am expecting to domellow.gif All purpose rods i can kind of understand, but what makes a real all purpose?dunno.gif

I have a c4...

Landed plenty of musky with it...

Also used it for bass and walleye no problem...

Had it 10+ years now...

And I paid 60 back then...

What about the Corvalus? The newer cast aluminum models like mine, has good ratings when reviewed next to the C4.

Dont get the c4 instead, opt for the c3 in the same size. The C3 is a tougher reel, the c4 is a bass reel.

The 7000 altho a slower reel ratio wise, has a much bigger spool which makes up for the slower ratio.

Dont get the c4 instead, opt for the c3 in the same size. The C3 is a tougher reel, the c4 is a bass reel.

The 7000 altho a slower reel ratio wise, has a much bigger spool which makes up for the slower ratio.

Thanks Raf,but about another$60 bucks more,for the amount of musky fishing I do,not sure if it makes sense?

In that price point, it limits your choice.Right now, i will be using a Corvalus that i picked up almost new for next to nothing.They run between 90-100 bucks.The one i have is cast aluminum with aluminum endcaps, and a thumb trigger line release.

I am saving for a Caluctta next year, IF i decide to target them more often.

What would you recommend Roy?,So far this is the most recommended.

I'd take Raf's suggestion and go with the C-3.

The C-4 is a higher gear ratio and it makes it tougher to crank in harder pulling baits such as big bladed spinnerbaits or bucktails.

The C-3 is a bare bones reel but if your only gonna be fishing musky a couple times a year it'll work well for you.

It's a tough choice for something I may use very little at least for now.I have the Penn 109,which I haven't used,but not good for casting,but a tank of a reel for trolling.Some,or most say the c4 I will not be disappointed,others say,I will be disappointed.The 6600 is in a good price range,and available.Don't know?.Some say the 7000i is to big.The 4600 didn't see today,maybe a little early?.:wallbash:

I'd take Raf's suggestion and go with the C-3.

The C-4 is a higher gear ratio and it makes it tougher to crank in harder pulling baits such as big bladed spinnerbaits or bucktails.

The C-3 is a bare bones reel but if your only gonna be fishing musky a couple times a year it'll work well for you.

Thanks Lew

lets get one thing straight...

is this a reel your only gunna use for musky?

or are you gunna use it for other species...?

cause now it sounds like your looking for a MUSKY reel for 100 bucks that youll ONLY use a couple times a year...ONLY for musky...

in your original post you were asking for a reel that can handle SOME musky but can be used for bass and pike the rest of the year...