Snap Swivels for attaching lures

mercman

Knotswallbash.gif All kinds of themwallbash.gif

I have to admit, i can tie them in the comfort of my home while getting ready to go fishing.It may take a couple of minutes to get right, but i can do it. But on the water, i always use really good quality snap swivels.

Some have told me that this negatively affects lure action, and suggest i am an amateur(which i am,just dont like hearing itwink.gif )

I always choose the smallest i can get away with for the type of fishing i am doing at the time.

What are the thoughts of my fellow OFCers on Snap Swivels versus tie direct?

Thanks guysclapping.gif

I mostly use swivels. I have no idea if it impacts the action of the lure or not, but I still catch fish. Maybe I would do better without them, who knows? I'd probably tie directly [to stickbaits at least] if I didn't switch lures so often and wasn't so lazy about it :P: However, I would love to see some underwater video showing the difference in action on various lures to see if using a swivel makes a difference in lure action; or using different knots like the Rapala versus the Clinch. Anyone have an empty long aquarium and a video camera??? :thumbsup_anim:

Many lures come with O-rings and snaplocks pre-attached as well......

I use them all the time,the swivel prevents line twist,I know I should use a two inch leader for pike,but the kinks in a wire leader sometimes turn me off.Also the swivel makes it really easy to change lures.There is a saying you pay your money,you take your chances,and the chances is what I take. Very seldom loose a lure but I use braid all the time and cut and re-tie when needed.

also in situations that require really heavey leaders or metal leaders...... like musky fishing... its easier to have a snap on one end and a swivel on the other instead of trying to tie a blood knot from your 100lb braid to your 100lb floro... then try tying a knot to you lure with 100lb floro...

snaps and swivels are way easier...

also in situations that require really heavey leaders or metal leaders...... like musky fishing... its easier to have a snap on one end and a swivel on the other instead of trying to tie a blood knot from your 100lb braid to your 100lb floro... then try tying a knot to you lure with 100lb floro...

snaps and swivels are way easier...

Mike and you know this how??:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::sarcasm:

Edited by davey buoy

Depends on the baits Mercman.

I do not use snaps except when big water trolling(riggers, planers etc.)

I use a trilene knot for baits I use that work better not tied direct, ie. jerkbaits

Little practice tying some of the knots and you can get very quick at it!

I use 'em all the time unless I'm using a single hook, like when live baiting, drop shotting, wacky rigging etc. It's makes life that much easier when your changing setups. Unless your a pro, then feel free to complicate your life whistling.gifdevil.gif

Try these..SUPER cheap in bulk and they are very stealthy.

I buy the cheap swivel to go along with them... if I'm more concerned with twisting or breaking, I use the ball bearing swivels.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/duolock_snaps.htm

I'm also trying something new on one of my setups.A tip from a well seasoned Angler i know.

Instead of uni-uni for attaching my leader to my braid.I am using a number 10(i believe) Mustad chain swivel.Its rated for 30+ lbs, and is small enough to slide through the guides easily if necessary.I will try and remember to let you all know how it works out.

I really only use them for casting spoons for trout and salmon.

After reading Harrisons post I am going to start using them trolling Ontario.

If you don't have problems using them Paul then use them. Who cares if people call you a amatuer. You catch fish.

I'm also trying something new on one of my setups.A tip from a well seasoned Angler i know.

Instead of uni-uni for attaching my leader to my braid.I am using a number 10(i believe) Mustad chain swivel.Its rated for 30+ lbs, and is small enough to slide through the guides easily if necessary.I will try and remember to let you all know how it works out.

I use them for float fishing.Very strong swivel!

I rarely used a swivel snap, but used just snaps often. Swivels snaps are great for lures that may cause line twist, like in line spinner baits. I liked to use snaps that would test out at twice the weight of any fish I was likely to hook.

I always used a snap with a crank bait.

I use snap swivels all the time when fishing with lures like crank baits and spoons, I think in all my fishing life I had a problem with just once when a snap broke on me, that is pretty good for 30+ years compare to knots IMO.

I even use the them on tiny cranks/spinners for trout & steelhead.

Make sure you buy quality brand name duo lock or coast lock ball bearing swivels.

I hate snaps with spinner baits - they are way more likely to slide down the wire arm. I find a beefy knot directly to the wire is better.

A piece of rubber tubing over the notch of the spinnerbait will stop the swivel from going down the wire arm. I think they mentioned this little trick on OOD recently as well. I've been doing it for a few years.. Works awesome.

I hate snaps with spinner baits - they are way more likely to slide down the wire arm. I find a beefy knot directly to the wire is better.

Try this Sinclair.

Go to CT or any big hardware and buy the smallest ''O'' ring you can find.I have found them as small as 1/8 inch inside dia.

Slide one over the loop in the spinner bait, then attach your snap to the exposed loop.You can usually get about 20 for a couple of bucks.

The ''O''ring will not affect the spinning of the blades or lur action at all.

eddited to say....................

BillM beat me to it LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Same idea.

Edited by mercman