White Sucker

If you turn up on any GTA tribs with a flyrod at this time of year (with the exception of part of the open water on the Credit) then most people that see you will assume you are fishing out of season rainbows using the excuse that you are targeting suckers (which usually show up later in the spring). Be ready for some abuse.

If you turn up on any GTA tribs with a flyrod at this time of year (with the exception of part of the open water on the Credit) then most people that see you will assume you are fishing out of season rainbows using the excuse that you are targeting suckers (which usually show up later in the spring). Be ready for some abuse.

Rainbows are in season, so long as you're on a stretch of river that's in season... :rolleyes:

Check the regs and see what stretches of your local tributaries are open. Use steelhead flies...if you're targetting steelhead, you're targetting suckers... :thumbsup_anim:

Wont see the suckers for atleast another month. All you need for bait is worms or even bread! I have caught quite a few 5-6 pounders on leftover pizza crust! Just use an egg sinker and leave your bait right on the bottom they will come for it

Wont see the suckers for atleast another month. All you need for bait is worms or even bread! I have caught quite a few 5-6 pounders on leftover pizza crust! Just use an egg sinker and leave your bait right on the bottom they will come for it

Kind of hard to cast that stuff with a fly rod though. ;)

Suckers will take pretty much any dark coloured fly from stones to nymphs to small beadhead buggers. :good: :good:

Rainbows will too. ;)

You will find them showing up in the next few weeks as the water warms.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

If you are from Richmond Hill, go up to Beaverton, right down by the Lake where the river flows in, not crowded & H-U-G-E Lake Simcoe suckers . . . . my best one so far was 5.6 pounds . . . . 'Beans' got one 5.9 pounds once when I was there. A light 6' to 7' rod & 4 pound line will make a real contest outta this typa fishin.' With the warm weather upon us, my bet would be they'll be in there VERY shortly. The rainbows are almost finished their run in some of the eastern tribs! I've never seen anyone fly-fishin' 'em, but they hit ANYTHING . . . why not flies? Once they're in, (by the end of the month) I'll let you know.

P. S.

The day that Beansie nailed his 5.9 pounder, Big Cliff & Crappieperchhunter were there too. I'm just assuming these are whit suckers in Lake Simcoe?

Edited by Photoz

I hit Beaverton this morning . . . . taught several worms how to swim . . . after a couple hours running my float up & down the river nary a nibble. But . . . . there is only a little shore ice in the lake, I'd say there will be some of those B I I I G suckers will be in there by next weekend. I also washed about a dozen good pike lures down at Bluffers Park . . . . had a real nice one follow my red & white 3/5 ounce Daredevyl right in to shore, where he just sat and gave me the ol' evil eye, before slowly swimming off.

Caught a few suckers today and saw TONS. I had noticed a few fish had a dark stripe going horizontal down the body from the head to the anal fin, any idea what these were? Sorry i wasnt able to catch one of the different looking suckers or id throw up a pic

Probably a Longnose Sucker, although apparently male White Suckers can get the stripe too when in spawn mode.

Yes....suckers do change colours during spawning. Dark stripe and often lots of red on each side of the dark stripe. They also do a lot of jumping during the spawning run. I guess it's to loosen the eggs inside their bodies.