they don't make them like they used to?

bramptonjerry

hey guys;

before the kids and the mortgage it was all St Croix rods and high end Shimano reels for me. I never had any problems. Then the kid got older and I became more of a guide than a fisherman. I don't know how they do it but broken bail springs and ruined drags soon followed. I was thinking that maybe now because I store my stuff in a shed over winter up on the French as opposed to my warm basement here in Brampton and I don't know how to oil or grease them (never was a worry before)does the cold weather storage damage the reels? Or is it just the kids (how do you get 5 birds nests in a spinning reel in one day?)...your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

One of the problems with spending money on good stuff is that it breaks if you abuse it. Sometimes as in the case of rods they can be more brittle than lower end stuff. My advice would be to get a few ugly stick combos and let the kids use that. Those rods are virtually indestructable and the reels are ok.

Edited by fishgreg

Do you loosen your drag off over the winter? That will help. I loosen mine off at the end of each fishing day.

I think most birds nests in spinning reels are caused by reeling in slack line. Teach them to flip the bail, then pull the rod back to tighten the line before they begin their retrieve. That is second nature to me now and it definitely reduces the number of tangles.

Do you loosen your drag off over the winter? That will help. I loosen mine off at the end of each fishing day.

I think most birds nests in spinning reels are caused by reeling in slack line. Teach them to flip the bail, then pull the rod back to tighten the line before they begin their retrieve. That is second nature to me now and it definitely reduces the number of tangles.

Also when reeling in when the fish is taking drag. Thats a major no no.It will twist the line and also heat it up. making it weak.

Edited by Misfish

When my boys were just kids & learning to fish they were given closedfaced spincast reels,no major snarl-ups made for a better day for them & me.

I remember attaching a boot lace between the rods & the boat after looseing 1 or 2

overboard.

My spinning outfits are left at the summer place in an unheated area all winter with no adverse effects.

With spinning reels, you'll have a lot less problems if you close the bail manually... rather then turning the handle of the reel to close the bail.

So true for anything made in the past 20 years. Lighter and smaller parts are far more fragile.

Older reels like the Mitchell300's, Luxor's, Abu's still lasted forever despite abuse. Many in use 40-60 years later and performing flawlessly. That stuff could take punishment. Anything post 1990 cannot.

It's the kids......

I have OLD still fine reels that I still use like my Daiwa BG10 and BG13 that spent over 25 years in the garage without any heat or maintence to speak of.

Here yah.Thirty years ago I had problems with Michell (parts falling off), Shimano(gear problems) and Garcia(both the latter) spinning reels. Then changed to Daiwa, two of which I gave to my Son, and the new easy-cast graphite model bought in /85, still being used today without any troubles.