Lowrance Bluewater LFG-175

davey buoy

Had this unit in the basement for years,just brought it up and noticed it has a transducer and the power supply is 110 volts.Is this unit any good still?.I have a permanent Hummingbird in the boat,and a portable Eagle 245 fish finder.I use these both often and wondering where this unit could come in to play?. I guess you would need a inverter and some type of battery supply.Thanks guys.

Roy it has a 3 prong plug on the end.What do you think it should have?

That means nothing.

A charter boat I used to work on had their downriggers wired that way.

12V from battery to outlets mounted under the gunnal and then 3 prong plugs on the downriggers plugged into the outlets.

Easy way for the non-electrically inclined to wire it up.

The unit is from the late 70's and is a flasher type unit. Currently it is listed as a vintage flasher for less than 30 dollars on assorted websites. Specifications on the unit were not found. I would wire it to 12 volts and see if it lights up and runs. If it doesn't then plug it in to the wall and see if it lets out the factory smoke if it does you are out $30.00. I am betting it is a 12 volt unit.

Art

The unit is from the late 70's and is a flasher type unit. Currently it is listed as a vintage flasher for less than 30 dollars on assorted websites. Specifications on the unit were not found. I would wire it to 12 volts and see if it lights up and runs. If it doesn't then plug it in to the wall and see if it lets out the factory smoke if it does you are out $30.00. I am betting it is a 12 volt unit.

Art

I believe 12 volts now.Pretty well useless I guess,thanks for your help.

That means nothing.

A charter boat I used to work on had their downriggers wired that way.

12V from battery to outlets mounted under the gunnal and then 3 prong plugs on the downriggers plugged into the outlets.

Easy way for the non-electrically inclined to wire it up.

Yes, my Big John electrics from the early 80's were wired direct from the factory with 3 prong plugs, put an outdoor electric box wired to the battery with a fuse under the gunwale for power and converted the lighter type plug in on a spotlight and few other things to a 3 pronger for use in that box, seems the gent maybe did the same with the fish finder. At that time I ran a then new lowrance 1510c paper graph and a flasher unit from what I see nearly identical to yours, mostly for navigation and finding structure , believe mine had 2 scales 0-60 feet and if you pulled out the sensitivity knob it went 0 -120 or something, saved paper, that stuff added up pretty quick if you fished a lot.

My old BottomLine from the eighties came with a transformer plug to run it off a 110v source. I also had another power cord to run off of a 12v battery.

The unit itself ran was 12v. Without a picture of your unit, could this similar to what you have?

Nope

His is a 70's era flasher.

Lowrance Bluewater LFG-175

My brother in-law had one on his boat and I wired it for him....it's a 12 volt unit....and they work quite well if your experienced in reading a flasher unit....most younger guys that never stared at a flasher for HOURS at a time would probably only get the benefit of it as a depth finder....us older guys who cut our teeth with these flasher units would have no problem finding fish with them.

It would make a fine ice fishing flasher if you need one.

My brother in-law had one on his boat and I wired it for him....it's a 12 volt unit....and they work quite well if your experienced in reading a flasher unit....most younger guys that never stared at a flasher for HOURS at a time would probably only get the benefit of it as a depth finder....us older guys who cut our teeth with these flasher units would have no problem finding fish with them.

It would make a fine ice fishing flasher if you need one.

Thanks Billy,maybe I will do a little research on this and if it's good for ice fishing I'll keep it but first learn how to read it lol.Thanks

Thanks Billy,maybe I will do a little research on this and if it's good for ice fishing I'll keep it but first learn how to read it lol.Thanks

Hook it up and try it on the ice.....watch your bait be lowered....and it should also show you jigging it up and down.....I don't remember how much power this unit has....I'm thinking not as much as you might want but still should be good for shallow fishing....should be no problem in 50' or less and should read the bottom in over 100'........

A good flasher with a experienced angler who knows how to read the flasher can not only see fish and or bottom but also find transition areas like where a hard bottom turns to a soft bottom at the same depth...these are great areas for fall walleye fishing. You can also pin point a drop off and I think a flasher is the best in the weeds....many graphs have a difficult time in shallow weedy areas, often losing bottom readings.....a flasher never has this problem.

I am miffed at the cost of these so called Ice Fishing Flashers that are available today....go on Ebay and get a good used flasher and if you know how to read it, it will do the exact same thing as the fancy color flasher for about $25 instead of $225+.......but hey, it's only MONEY... :whistling:

With my old Lowrance LFP250, I can see my 1/4 ounce bell sinker in 20 feet of water. I haven't tried it in deeper water yet. I use it for smelt fishing and can even see when there is a smelt close to my smelt rig.

The newer units today, do not have all that much more than the older units. Yes, they have colours but what is on the screen is actually what the computer inside estimates what is really happening. The human brain can do that just as well.

For example, modern GPS units. Sure they are more sensitive. However, that "so called" improved sensitivity also gathers reflected signals coming from mountains, trees, buildings and actually induce errors. If you are not hiking in the Grand Canyons or thick Amazonian jungle, an old GPS unit works just as good. My old Garmin 45 (which had no mapping) could tell me on which side of the road I was driving when I displayed the recorded readings on my home computer. I used it in the bush for walking out of some remote lakes (without any trails) and I was always walking in my footsteps. It wasn't as fast as my old Lowrance IFinder Pro because it had sequential 8 channel reception while the old Lowrance has 8 parallel channel reception.