Favourite rod and reel combo???

bucktail

The fishing show is this weekend and if your anything like me youll be suffering from cabin fever and looking for an upgrade to your equipement to hopefully make you a little more effective this year.

Saying all of that what is your favorite rod and reel combo and why? This might help out someone else that is looking for a set up for certain conditions.

My personal fav is a Loomis crankbait casting rod with a Shimano Curado and 15 pound floro.

Help a brother out!!!

Darren

Merc.... I have my 300 on a Shimano Crucial medium heavy 7 footer. I use it as a flipper and a frogger for real heavy stuff. Works nice. I also put it on a Fenwick telescoping heavy fliupping stick for burning smaller buctails muskie and pike fishing.

Darren

Merc.... I have my 300 on a Shimano Crucial medium heavy 7 footer. I use it as a flipper and a frogger for real heavy stuff. Works nice. I also put it on a Fenwick telescoping heavy fliupping stick for burning smaller buctails muskie and pike fishing.

Darren

Hummmm. The Fishing/hunting show is 23-26 here in Montreal.Maybe i should check that outwhistling.gif

I just love new tackleclapping.gifclapping.gif

Thanks Darren.

Loomis NRX 822s paired with the new Sustain FG 2500 or the Stradic Ci4 2500 but more so the sustain

I have the that NRX also, have a Daiwa S O L 2500 but looking to upgrade. How do you like the new sustain?

Edited by danbob

I really like the sustain I've been using it from the boat on the lower Niagara for trout and the drag hasn't failed me yet ! So if handles the big jumps and runs of 10lb chromers I have no doubt it will handle any Bass on erie this summer . Minus the dumb kickstand lol

bucktail,

How do you like that rod? Im looking to pick up a new crankbait rod soon, I want to spend $150 tops.

I was looking at the st. croix premier series crank rods but havent been able to find one to look at up close. I also took a look at the BPS crankin sticks and they seem pretty nice considering the price.

Anyone have a opinion on a budget crankin rod?

I have a Loomis NRX 7'1H that I love for pitching jigs in light cover...It's very powerful and the most sensitive rod I've fished. I paired it with a Core 50MG7 and the lightweight concept of the combo backed by a strong reel and 50lb braid. I suggest this setup for any body that loves to pitch jigs 1/2oz and under and plastics as well.

My favorite combo :)

Anyone have a opinion on a budget crankin rod?

Shimano Compre or Crucial Crankbait Rod. (99.99-159.99) and a Shimano Chronarch(204.99).

The weight difference is noticeable in between these two series and any same rods compared. It's not much but enough maybe.

Decide between the rods but for a reel that you plan on casting with all day long I don't think the Curado would be good enough but I'm sure it will do the job. For $50 more you can have a very smooth light good reel that is well worth the price.

Hope this helps,

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Loomis IMX 7' with Shimano Spirex 1000, 8lb Trilene XL for walleye. Been using this unit for the smaller walleye for 10 years. Love it. I also use an older Browning 6' Cardinal 3 spooled with 8lb XL. This unit is 20 years old. I can't give it up - it has caught me more fish than I can remember. For the "hog" walleye on Erie I use a 7' Shimano Clarus with Ambassadeur 6500 spooled with 30 power pro, & 5' flouro leader. I really like the Clarus rod, so I purchased a spinning version as well, mounted a Penn 4500 on this baby! I love them all - now which one do I use???

Boombap.

I love my combo its slower action allows me to NOT pull the bait away from fish. For a cheaper rod you might want to check out the KVD crankbait rods. If he can win everything under the sun throwing a crankbait with that rod who am Ito second guess him!!LOL

Too hard to pick one. It really depends on the type of fish that I'm after and the method that I've chosen to use. I love my 6.5 Fenwick(hook setter series) paired with a Diawa SS1300 when fishing live crayfish. This combo certainly wouldn't be my favourite if I was after steelhead.

My favourite combo isn't my best! It's a 6'2" Gary Roach paired with a Pflueger Supreme. I've fished the combo for years; it's been used for all kinds of different rigs and lures, and has been a reliable workhorse of a rig that I don't have to baby. I just like the feel and familiarity of it, more than anything. The reel is excellent in its own right....