Redemption is the best form of revenge

Rod Caster

Hey Team,

After four Skunky skunks in a row (minus a few tiny perch), it was time I hit my "hot spot" on Nipissing for a little redemption fishing. I finally got up the nerve to drive further on the lake and invited a few of my fishing regulars. Joey (Tiger!) was in, until I cancelled on him, when I un-cancelled, he had made other plans so I invited my uncle and he was immediatly willing to join.

A few pressure cracks made our journey a little squirly, but we found some tracks and reached my spot at around 4pm.

The bite started at 430, with a perch/walleye/ling mix. In total we finished with 4 walleye (missed at least 3), 25 perch and two pig Ling. My action "Jaxon" spoon did most of the damage for me, while my uncle used a jig and minnow combo.

The best part of the day was having an 6 or 7lbs ling completely SMASH my Jaxon spoon. What a rush after a dry spell.

100_0006-2.jpg

100_0007-2.jpg

100_0002-2.jpg

100_0008-3.jpg

The required sink shot

100_0009-4.jpg

what a cutie!

100_0010-1.jpg

I hope this signals an upswing in my winter fishing!

Edited by Rod Caster

So, are they really poor man's lobster? How do they taste?

Great report and some nice fish there!!!

I've only had them dipped in butter... and the the butter was DELICIOUS haha. This time I think I'll bake it the same way I bake my walleye, that way I can actually compare the flavor. Thanks!

Awesome Chad. Wish it was half the drive for me, I'd be hitting Nip ice a bunch of times every winter.

If that is ever the case, I'll be glad to show you around Nipissing and some other nearby lakes smile.gif

Great job Chad !!!! I love sink shotsclapping.gif That ling is an ugly thing.w00t.gif

I finally broke down, and am going out on the ice with Mike on saturday. I havent been on the ice since i was 12mellow.gif Looking forward to finding out if i like ice fisingwhistling.gif

w00t.gif If it's slippery out there I think Mike will have an entry in Vinnies "funny photo" contest. laugh.gif Good luck out there. I'm sure Mike will keep you safe AND put you on some fish.

That would be great. Even tough its driveable by truck, I'd still rather go by sled... Less worries if the wind or snow bury the tracks.

I was out last night at deepwater point and didn't get a single bite, neither did my buddy in a neighboring shack or the others in my group. Even my "spot" was slow tonight compared to what my uncle saw last week. they have to feed sometime, so things should turn around.

RC, funniest ice fishing pic contest , capsation for your first picture , Why is that little gun pointing at you ...lol

Haha I didn't quite understand until I looked back at the photo laugh.gif It almost looks like my uncle is about to pull a pistol out of his jacket pocket too.

Nice haul!

My brother has landed a few monster Ling's out near Calgary in the past few months. They definitely are the poor man's lobster, but I don't hear anyone complaining! biggrin.gif

This will be a good test for me to see if I really like the meat or not. It's funny how the fish weighed nearly 7lbs, and i only got 1 or 1.5lbs of meat off of it. These things are ALL head and guts.

Great job Chad getting that monkey off your back thumbsup_anim.gif I know the feeling all too well whistling.gif

Some good eats in that sink shot cool.gifgood.gif

Thanks Jacques. It was a good start to my season, but then things slowed down. If you were in my area, I'd invite you over for some walleye wings and cheeks and a hockey game. I have a whole bag of cheeks and wings collected from the past year of fishing!

I froze the ling and took it back out last night. Tonight or tomorrow will be the test. I had lobster last night, so I can really test that "poor mans lobster" theory. Haha.

Bassassin and I are going back to the spot today. I'm hoping for more perch so I can freeze a few bags and eat them during the "off season". I will report back later

Tonight I ate baked ling with a light cajun spice rub.

Overall it was very good. Not walleye great, but good. The "poor man's lobster" term definitly comes from the texture of the meat, which is oddly similar to that of lobster. I had lobster a couple nights ago so I was able to make a fair comparison.

The strip of meat along the back is nicer to eat than the belly or tail meat.

I'll certainly keep ling again, but next time I will partially freeze the fish before I clean it.... it's very slimy/slippery when it's completely thawed out, making it difficult to filet.

Did you freeze the fish whole, and then clean it? I stopped doing that years ago.

Good to hear it was tasty, at least.

No, the fish was quite fresh and not frozen. I should have rolled it in the snow while I was on the ice.

I'm happy about the flavor too. They are biting on a regular basis now, so why not keep a couple? It's better than chucking it on the ice like a lot of people do.