Fenwick world class fly rods?

hirk

I have an 81/2' 3pc 6wt that I've had for over 20 years. I love it, use it all the time.

It's got a very smooth moderate action and is light and crisp. IMO it compares favourably to any of the newer high end blanks.

If I could find another one I'd probably buy it so I say go for it!

I've never used a fly rod, this is a 8'6" #7 thinking for smallies and lm. Any advantage to going 9'?

That'll be fine (as Bill says a bit longer would make life easier but 8'6 will work for you) - put an 8wt line on it too, I use a Rio Mainstream Bass lines for both my bass setups, nice short front taper for turning over big non-aerodynamic flies.

Well actually not to be contrary, but most guys punching out big brushy bugs use rods shorter than 9 feet.

From a boat you definitely want something longer then shorter. I can't imagine trying to punch out big flies with my 7'6 5wt with any sort of distance, lol. It's fine for the smaller resident trout streams however.

Try FFO-Tackle.com. They have an 8'6" 7 weight and a 9'6" 6wt. $75 for brand new rods (last week they were 20% off. This week it's free US shipping. The deal changes frequently). I would wonder if they were original World Class rods however. World Class rods were literally from the 1980's. I had a 9' 6wt Fenwick HMG that was a nice bass flyrod. In Fenwick I think the Iron Feather was probably their best product for flyrods. I saw one for sale the other day on ebay.

• 3 years later...

From a boat you definitely want something longer then shorter. I can't imagine trying to punch out big flies with my 7'6 5wt with any sort of distance, lol. It's fine for the smaller resident trout streams however.

Sorry Bill, but I'm siding with Mike on this one, you'll have an easier time building line speed and punching out larger flies with a shorter rod then a longer. A long rod will give you more distance IF you're using a long line as well, but with a bass line or shooting head it will be a nice combo. There's a reason most bass specific rods are 7'11"-8'6".

Sorry Bill, but I'm siding with Mike on this one, you'll have an easier time building line speed and punching out larger flies with a shorter rod then a longer. A long rod will give you more distance IF you're using a long line as well, but with a bass line or shooting head it will be a nice combo. There's a reason most bass specific rods are 7'11"-8'6".

I think that because 7'11 is legal tournament length, so companies build lines for these style of rods with the shorter tapers