Simcoe

bobowski

Hello,

Im going out to Cooks Bay tomorrow to do some Perchin. I was planning on setting up a dead bait tip up while im jigging for Perch. I want to use a big baitfish to try and entice a Pike to hit. My question is, am I able to use a frozen Herring purchased from the Grocery store? I know that the lake is closed to herring fishing all year around but I wasn't sure if i could use it as a dead bait. :dunno:

Get a few perch....fillet the belly meat off and there's your bait...

I’m not contradicting just asking, is it legal to use in-part or whole a sport fish for bait?

Is perch considered a sport fish?

I know people use the eyes from perch; but never thought of its legality before.

I know I could look it up; but someone here will know.

Dan.

Herring which is sold in stores is a true Herring (usually caught in the Atlantic Ocean) and can be legally used for bait if dead. The "Herring" that you are referring to as having a closed season on Simcoe is a completely different species which is closely related to Whitefish. It's also commonly known as a "Cisco".

Here in NYS and everywhere they are considered a pan fish...you sure Ontario has them classified as a 'sport fish'... dunno.gif

It's just a term for any fish that has "regs" applied to it. For example herring have no catch limits (at least not in my FMZ), so their not considered a sport fish. I guess a herring is just a "fish" laugh.gif . Non-sport fish can be used as bait as a whole unit.. like fallfish or mooneye etc. You can't put a perch on a hook, but from what some have said here, you can use the non-meat parts of a perch for bait.

Someone please correct me if I'm off.