effort equals success

mike rousseau

well a friend (Jigs) and i headed out in search of some "new to us" walleye holes yesterday....

after driving around for a while without seeing much safe ice in the areas we had hoped to fish we started searching some more....we found an area we thought might hold some walters... we were right...

started punching holes and right away we started marking fish in every hole... but no takers... i tried all my top 5 lures... nada... so i decided to put on my number 1 lure for walleye through the ice and grind it out. i just kept changing my cadence and eventualy... bang... fish on... first walleye of 2012... not long after that i see another come in on the vexilar... bang... walleye number 2... and the same happened again about 10 minutes later... now im on a roll... on the third fish while i was reeling it up.... i could see on the vexilar that there was another one on bottom... dropped back down... bang... again there was another ready and waiting before i could get the hooks out... this went on for about 45 minutes... at times i could see three walleye waiting on bottom for my lure... it was amazing...

in the end i had iced 15 walleye on a spot i never fished during hardwater... felt great...

and as a bonus.... my fishing partner for the day got his first walleye through the ice as well as his second...third... and fourth

so together we iced 19 walleye in about 1.5-2 hours...

they were small fish(under 18 inches) but it was fun getting those numbers as well as seeing someone get their first walleye through the ice...