Bathtub replacement

jedimaster

Just wondering if anyone has replaced a bathtub? We have a standard metal powdercoated tub with the floor all scratched up. Its inset into a 3 wall setup with a front apron(all one piece). I was thinking of removing it by cutting the apron off with a sawzall and then if need be splitting the tub in half. Is this ok or is ther an easier way? I want to avoid breaking up the walls and removing any of the tiles if possible. I am not too sure if thats even possible. If I need to get into any major demolition I think I would ratehr try and just recoating it with one of those kits.

Also will I be able to just slide a new on in without much difficulty presuming I can find one the same size that is. I would imagine I would its a fairly common sized one.

First you probably will NOT be able to remove the tub without tearing out some of the tile.....and that project tends to grow out of hand on some of these tub replacement jobs....also is there a chance it's a cast iron tub....the new steel tubs of today are made VERY cheap compared to older tubs.... That being said have you looked into just having the tub refinished....make a hell of a lot more sense if that's all you want to do is replace the tub....once it's refinished it will look like new.

Bob

Most of those tubs have lip that turns up around the egde which is how they are fastened to the studs. If the tiling was done properly, the tiles would come right down past that lip as close to the top horizontal surface of the tub as possible, then the edge sealed to the tub. This means that at least the 1st row of tiles would have to be removed to even get the tub moving.

Good luck.

Been here, Done this LOL. I was in the same boat a few years back, wanted to replace a weathered tub and before i knew it i was in the middle of a gutted bathroom reno LOL. If your not into that, look at bathfitters or something similar (we have them in the states not sure if you guys have one up north). They basically fit a tub over your tub.

This took quite a while on my own, but it was worth it in the end.

Its true what they say, the first thing on site when building a house is the bathtub......and they build the house around it LMAO

bathroom016.jpg

Houserenovation002.jpg

Houserenovation009.jpg

Another alternative is a modular insert to sit where the tub sits now. It is a complete unit of tub and surround. You tear out the old tub and slide the unit into the wall space without the hassle of wall or tile repair.

Removing old tubs always becomes a major project.

DON'T do it yourself....get a pro to come in and do it....he will have the proper acids to clean the tub and the proper spayers and paint so it will last. Trust me it's worth paying around $500 as it will look brand new and have a 10 year warranty on the work.

Bob

I think in reality I'll just cut the old tub out and replace the lower strip of tiles if need be. I am definatly not going to get into a major demo of the bathroom, i'll cut it into 20 pieces before that happens.

That MIGHT get the tub out but unfortunately it will not make enough room to drop the new tub in since you will have to noodle the tub in a manner that will make it too long to be placed into such a tight fit unless you tear out a LOT of rows of tiles.

We used the "Bath Fitter" in in out in a day looks beautiful....i didn't lift a finger and they back up the work.

OR

I got a buddy,pulled out the old put in the new....new leaked pulled out new reinstalled the new...few weeks later he's exhausted and has a half decent looking finish with no guarantee

I'm proud but not to proud to know when I'm in over my head!

Refinished bathtubs are nothing more than an epoxy paint sprayed on a cleaned surface. They will show any damage in the old paint thru the new paint. They will be a spot that is not cleaned well enough and the paint will bubble or peel. They will come out and fix it for free but you will have a repair that looks like a repair and the tub paint will be at a different height than the surrounding area and show a line every time the water dries. I have seen a lot of these repairs when they call me to replace the tub after they spent the money. Option two is a plastic cover they put over the tub and form up walls to make a pretty seamless finish. The dirty secret is the way the drain line is attached it can allow water to get trapped in between the tub liner and the old tub. You will find few plumbers who will repair this issue and none of them will offer a warranty. To remove a tub you can cut out the old tub but to install a new unit you need to strip out 3 to 5 courses of tile so you can place the tub in one corner raising the other end up high enough to get it in place then set it down flush. You then install the drain line and then the durarock and tile are installed. Don't forget to replace the faucet if it is worn or older than 10 years a good tile job should last another 10 or 15 years and to replace the faucet sooner than that makes tile work needed again.

Art

I'll go down to Lowes and Home depot tonight and see if I can find a non skid epoxy or something I can put on the buttom. Even if I have to re do it after 6 months I would be ok with that. Failing that I think I'll just buy mat to put on the bottom and just leave it. :) sounds like way too much work.

I do mostly bathroom remodels for a living. Are the tiles on the wall a "standard" 6x6 white or beige? If so you can CAREFULLY remove the bottom row of tiles, and buy enough to replace them when finished. Then cut out the drywall that sits over the ledge of the tub (approx. 1.5 inches up from the tub).If the tub is on an exterior wall be careful to not cut the Vapour Barrier on the other side of the board or you will be gutting it. Disconnect the plumbing from the basement. Slide the tub out, you may have to remove the toilet or sink vanity to make room. Cutting out the old tub wont make a difference as you will need the room to install the new one. Once the new one is installed and hooked up in the basement (Level) then replace the missing drywall (i recommend cement or Rhino board tile backer). Then install a product called Kerdi Band over the cut in the drywall and right down to the base of the tub (you may have to go double wide)to seal it up. If you do it right one layer on Band will work just fine as the roll is 6 inches wide.. If you do go double wide on the kerdi be sure to overlap a minimum of 2 inches, I think you get a 50 foot roll at Home Depot for $35 bucks. You can use mastic to adhere the kerdi band for that small amount, but I recommend using a non modified mortar..Install the new row of tiles the next day and 2 days later re-grout. Finish it all off with a nice even bead of silicone and your golden for another 10 to 15 years! Its really not that hard to do..If you need a couple more questions answered id be glad to discuss further over PM..Good luck no matter what you decide to do but id stay miles away from Bath Fitter, For what they charge you can put in a new tub and surround.. I just love pricing jobs after they are in the potential customers house..Makes my sales job real easy.