2 stroke engine oil for augers

uglyfish

got a question for all u seasoned pros.... i just got a new gas auger this year for xmas... the rapala nitro. same as the black ice model they have.

it has a 43cc viper engine. now, my question... are there any important tips to help this last? the motor, i know about protecting the blades and that. i want it to last and work when i need it.

the manual says to use premium gas, which i will. for the amount ill use, its not gonna cost anythin. and to use the viper 2 stroke oil.

does anyone know where i can get the oil? and are other 2 stroke oils, like the strikemaster, the same? both say they have fuel stabilizers to prevent breakdown.

so, where can i get the viper, are other oils the same, and should i put anythin else in there to help it, like a regular stabilizer?

thanks guys!

It says in your manuel to use premium fuel, but you should also have a single sheet insert that says correction notice, 87 octane or higher.

Mine is from costco , it is a tempest which is the same auger as yours just a different name on it for costco.

2 stroke synthetic oil will work in it.

I have the same Rapala auger.

No sheet that skeeter mentions. I believe by premium they mean name brand as opposed to a no-name discount brand.

I am using Shell premium gas as it is reported not to contain ethanol.

As for oil I went with Amsoil Sabre Professional which I mix 80/1 with a little SeaFoam added. I also use this in my chainsaw.

Oil to gas mixtures are not determined by the motor (newer motors) but by the oil quality instead. Better oils are designed to work at as little as 100/1.

This means less smoke & plug fouling but the same lubricating protection.

Congrats on the new auger.. For fuel - I think they are meaning to use premium 91 octane fuel.. Not so much for the octane rating, more so for the lack of ethanol... Ethanol reeeks havoc on 2 stroke engines.. For oil: if they provided a jug, run that for the first tank or 2 ( until its finished).. Then switch to a synthetic 2 stroke oil.. It is hard to find, but they do have Amsoil and Shell brand snowmobile oils at Canadian tire. I would play it safe and mix it 50:1..

As far as the stabilizer recommended, it's not a concern if the auger is going to get regular use.. Worry about adding that at the end of the season so the carb doesn't get gummed up during the summer.. Stabilizer also offsets the ethanol issue, which is not a concern if you use Shell V- power 91... Happy fishing!

I wouldn't run a synthetic on the first can of gas, they don't allow the engine to break in properly, run any good quality two stroke oil in that first tank then switch to a synthetic if you really want to but any good quality two stroke oil mixed to the Mfg. specifications will do the job just fine. Using a fuel stabilizer in your gas is cheap insurance. It is the first thing I do with every can of gas that comes to the house. As far as which gas to use; if the Mfg. recomends 87 octaine, use that. These engines are desigined to run with a specific octaine raiting, sure they will run on a higher octaine but they will run hotter. You want it to last a long time?

I wouldn't run a synthetic on the first can of gas, they don't allow the engine to break in properly, run any good quality two stroke oil in that first tank then switch to a synthetic if you really want to but any good quality two stroke oil mixed to the Mfg. specifications will do the job just fine. Using a fuel stabilizer in your gas is cheap insurance. It is the first thing I do with every can of gas that comes to the house. As far as which gas to use; if the Mfg. recomends 87 octaine, use that. These engines are desigined to run with a specific octaine raiting, sure they will run on a higher octaine but they will run hotter. You want it to last a long time?

I agree with the above statement.. This is why I stated to use the oil provided with the unit, which is usually a non- synthetic.. After the engine is broken in and the rings are seated into the cylinder, then you can switch to a synthetic oil. Synthetic oils don't allow the rings to "wear" because they are too slippery - which is what your trying to do when breaking it in.

Also in regards to breaking in an engine: don't baby it too much.. The engine rings won't seat properly if the engine idles too much.. So let it warm up a few minutes, then put it under load (drill).. But be careful not to rev it too much, as a fresh engine can't handle max RPM Right away.

one thing I have found is if your buying premium gas, go to a station that has a dedicated hose for premium. Alot of the time you don't buy enough premium fuel or fill your jerry can full, but if you are only buying a small amount keep in mind the hose contain the fuel from the previous purchas usually standard grade, so your not getting the benifits of your purchas. If you can't find a station with a dedicated hose fill your jerry full and stabilize it. Good luck