Tow Vehicle Question

sneak_e_pete

Within the next couple of years, I really want to get a new boat...18 foot aluminum. The package weight on one of these is 2,500 lbs, and my Caravan only tows 1,500. So, not only do I have to fork out 30k for a new boat, but also 40-50k for a truck? I am never gonna sell this one to my wife.

What do you guys use for towing? Any cheaper options?

In two years? I wouldn't start worrying about it just yet.

Why notwhistling.gif Two years of planning and anticipation.blink.gif Two years of sleepless nights wondering how you are going to pay for it.whistling.gif Two years of deciding what size of motor, and how you are going to outfit itmellow.gif Two years of...........well, you get the ideaw00t.gifwink.gif

Definately, start worrying about it now, and keep us in the loop toobiggrin.gif

Before buying a new $30k boat I would buy a smaller boat and learn the ropes. Then buy the bigger boat. As for a tow vehicle any used Jeep for $15-20k would tow 3500#s no problem(not the 4cylinder ones tho I'm talking Liberty, Cherokee, or a Commander). No need to spend $40k just so you can tow something.

Edited by Bigfisherman

Pete,

I was in exactly the same shoes as you this spring. I knew exactly what I wanted in a boat - big and capable of handling the Great Lakes, but the family vehicle was a Dodge Grand caravan, not capable of towing a boat that size.

I ended up getting a 20 foot Fishmaster and just had it docked at one Marina for the year. If you are just starting out this isn't a bad option as at least you are always forced to be in the same place and can learn the area. There is also the convenience of not hauling a boat up the 400, launching it, etc. You just bring your fishing gear, jump in and off you go. If you get bored of the same Marina you can have it docked somewhere else next year. That way you can put off getting a car to tow it with until you are ready.

I would not settle for a smaller boat if you know you want a bigger one. If you get a small boat now and want to replace it in a couple of years, you will have the headache of selling it and again need to search for a new one, which can take a while depending on how picky you are. Also you are overestimating how much a car capable of towing the boat would cost. Cars depreciate pretty quickly and you can get a used truck down the road to tow it with for well under 20k. I think the comfort of the boat and having it suit your exact needs is much more important than having a car that does the same. You are using the boar for pleasure, whereas the car is more of a tool for transportation (although I'm sure some car lovers would disagree). I would gladly put up with a slightly less than comfortable ride if I knew it meant spending the day in the perfect boat. On the other hand I wouldn't want a situation where I get a sweet ride to the boat but then I have to spend the day trying to enjoy myself in a boat I settled for.

I agree a 16' boat will be too small for a family of five so your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Lota lota's advice is probably the best but I would look into a boat slip on a inland lake with those little guys....forget the Great Lakes for now and enjoy the precious moments you have with them little guys in a 18' boat or larger on some small lake...then down the line you may afford a larger SUV/Truck to move that boat to the Great Lake or wherever the fish may be biting.

Bob

Most minivans are rated to tow 3500 lbs are you sure you need a new tow vehicle. My neighbour tows a 19' nitro fish and ski and a 150 with his mini van. I'm not sure I agree with this, but it depends how often and how far you tow.

Most mini vans are 2200LBS and less depending on the type and options.

They are built on car frames.

The only one's that were built on truck frames were the gm astro & safari's and the ford aerostar with a 5000LB rate, they stopped making those a few years ago.

Escape V6 4x4 might fit the bill and most say its not too bad on gas. It can tow 3500lbs.

2009's and later have the 6 speed so that will give you better mileage. Lots of them out there at reasonable prices.

It may be too cozy for a family of 5 though.

Edited by scugog

Ford Ranger 2010 Sport. 6cylindre 4.0L with towing package, 18K

Towing Capacty 5700 lbs.

pssssst...he said a TRUCK :whistling::D

a used 06-08 full size truck with 80-100,000 kms can be had for $10-$14,000 if you shop around enough and will be far more family friendly. you'll definitely want a full size truck for hauling nearly 3,000 lbs on a regular basis and the extra room will be needed. 4x4 would be en excellent idea as well for ramps with little or no maintenance and if you're going to be boating in the winter months.

a used boat and a used truck will save you tons of cash.