Pike chases skunk

limeyangler

Hi all,

What interesting times can be had going for a quick 10 minute drive to a lake for a spot of afternoon fishing.

My buddy called and asked if I wanted to go out on the ice...done deal.

We decided to take my flip up shelter with the wind conditions near gale force.

In the end we did not need it. We decided not to drive across the ice to our intended spot because we were unsure of the ice conditions and did not have time to “test and go” all the way to it.

Because time was a factor we made the wrong decision on the way in and ripped a tire from the rim of the trailer tire.

So....... after a cold and unsuccessful walleye hunt we had to pull a crippled trailer out of the bush (I was praying I still had an axel as we got to the highway...I DID....GOOD TIMES!) and make a 70km round trip to CT to pick up a new one.

I have never seen ice like this up here. It reminds me of when I was living in Sweden when I was a kid....flat, smooth, and see through ice over the whole lake. We have had nearly ZERO snow up here.

Anyway......fished in 20 FOW....flat mud bottom bay, saw a few small walleye on the screen also a few that marks on the graph that behaved like whitefish and some of the usual perch pecking at the minnows.

Only the one pike I got saved us from Monsieur Skunkypoo. Was pretty awesome to watch the pike come up under the ice...could not get my camera out in time though.

GREAT TO BE OUT THERE ON THE ICE!

If you max the volume for the video you can hear the ice booming....that was really the highlight of the trip...the ice put on quite a show for us!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4h47n33IA8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

The ice looks about 3" to 4" thick... good decision not to venture out to your honey hole across the lake :thumbsup_anim: I like you, would of stayed in the bay where you guys were :)

I much prefer 6" of ice to walk on and feel secure :) That sound of the ice building was the same when I went to the BOQ a couple of years ago :w00t: Unnerving to say the least :o

Nice pike by the way Simon :thumbsup_anim:

No skunk and you got out fishing... Number one dude!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

awesome Simon, I love that sound of the ice forming ... we are still waiting down here ....

It sounds like StarWars!

Slimeyangler thumbsup_anim.gif.

I'm anxiously awaiting the 14th bud, can hardly wait!!!

Great video/report as per usual

Hey Rick...will be good to see ya again on wednesday. We are gonna go back to that lake...yes we almost skunked...but when ya do find the walleye there...its pretty insane with 27"ers not uncommon. We will be wanting to leave my houdse by 11am...is that gonna be an issue?

Nice Simon.. Love the early ice reports! I have a friend in Parry Sound, they have no ice at all and just got a foot of snow lastnight...Man is he busy pushin snow...lol

Lol...sounds like us last year....this time last year i had 3 foot high snowbanks already!

skates, a couple of sticks and a pail of pucks and that could very well be heaven

I dont understand...oh...wait a minute...you mean that weird hockey game..... :sleeping_02::sleeping_02::sleeping_02::sleeping_02::sleeping_02::whistling:

Nice looking day out there!

was really cooooooooool.

How thick was the ice?

Was 8" solid seethrough BLACK ice where we were...but as we travelled across the bay we noticed the cracks only running about 5" down to the bottom of the ice...it was the varying depth that decided for us to stay put until next week.

Nice pic and nice Pike!

Thanks man.....not a big pike...but the only fish of the day....and it was cool to be able to see it from about 10' below the ice.

The ice looks about 3" to 4" thick... good decision not to venture out to your honey hole across the lake :thumbsup_anim: I like you, would of stayed in the bay where you guys were :)

I much prefer 6" of ice to walk on and feel secure :) That sound of the ice building was the same when I went to the BOQ a couple of years ago :w00t: Unnerving to say the least :o

Nice pike by the way Simon :thumbsup_anim:

No skunk and you got out fishing... Number one dude!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks Jacques! The ice where we were was 8" black ice...hell...enough to drive a car on...but the depth varied...so we decided caution first was the best policy.

hahaha

You even have the Four-wheeler on the ice! Nice pike man.

Yup...next week its good to go.....i drove my truck across the ice road to work this morning...already 5 iceshacks out there.

Awesome Simon, love the booming :)

Its amazing eh?

Try falling asleep out there with the ice booming under you, scary stuff even when you are on top of 3' of ice.

Falling asleep?!?....how much beer do you guys drink while fishing? :stretcher::sleeping_02::stretcher::canadian:

Good to see you on hard water again. Dang my little garden pond hasn't even iced over yet. I must say I was excited to see this pike jump out of the water with a skunk in its jaws!!

Doooood! Where ya been? LOL...maybe try a skunk as a topwater for musky...but i aint gonna be the one trying to get the hook in it...and not in my boat!