Boat storage outside for the first time

Rizzo

Going to try outdoor storage for the first time. Boat is ready to go, just need to tarp it up. One thing I didn't do is put antifreeze in the gas (only did stabilizer and ran it through). Could lines in the motor burst? I'm in Barrie so -10 is normal but -25 will definitely happen a few times as well

I've been thinking about the condensation issue and my plan was to put the boat around the side of the house that gets almost no sunlight (only first thing in am when its bloody freezing anyways). Is it wise to stretch the old blue tarp over the top of the outboard or leave the motor entirely uncovered?

I've been thinking about the condensation issue and my plan was to put the boat around the side of the house that gets almost no sunlight (only first thing in am when its bloody freezing anyways). Is it wise to stretch the old blue tarp over the top of the outboard or leave the motor entirely uncovered?

Does the gas freeze in the tank on your car in the winter? Well, it won't freeze in your outboard either, you already put stabilizer in it and ran it through, you'll be fine. Putting a tarp over the motor isn't a bad idea but just make sure you don't seal it up too tight. As long as some air can flow under it condensation won't be a problem. On a larger boat if you were to tarp it when the humidity is high with no way for air to circulate then you could end up with mold and mildew problems. Putting one of those big blue tarps over it won't seal it tight enough to cause any problems.

Relax, you'll be fine!

Does the gas freeze in the tank on your car in the winter

I had thought of this, but then I also thought why is there such a product as gas line antifreeze in the first place? For gullible suckers like me? My car on a daily basis gets heated up, and usually stored in the garage. The boat will be exposed to nonstop really cold temps. Either way, I'm glad what I'm hearing because I really didn't want to turn on the water again, fill up the hose again, get the muffs again etc

I had thought of this, but then I also thought why is there such a product as gas line antifreeze in the first place? For gullible suckers like me? My car on a daily basis gets heated up, and usually stored in the garage. The boat will be exposed to nonstop really cold temps. Either way, I'm glad what I'm hearing because I really didn't want to turn on the water again, fill up the hose again, get the muffs again etc

Gas line antifreeze is usually used when there is fuel frozen somewhere in the fuel system. Its the water that can accumulate that freezes, not the gas. You ran Stabil so you will be fine. Don't worry. You've done what you should. In the spring you will need to clean her up charge the batteries and fire her up and go.

spring you will need to clean her up charge the batteries

once I have the boat where I want it and I trim the motor down was going to yank out the battery and keep it in the garage. Then I'll throw the tarp on it, and was going to jack it up and rest it on 2x4's. Was thinking about possibly pulling the wheels off as well, and maybe just wrapping the exposed axle in a garbage bag? Is it a bad idea to take the wheels off? I just didn't want them in the snow all winter

Sure makes it harder to steal Roger!! Lower the trailer nose all the way down.. stick a couple jack stands under the frame(closely behind the axle) that are sitting on a small square of plywood or patio stone and then raise the tongue back up... should = the tires hanging free. Loosen the nuts first if you plan to remove the wheels.. hard to do once in the air.

Edited by irishfield

The batteries should be maintained all winter long....depending on the condition of the batteries it is possible that they could freeze and split causing a huge problem come spring......I just leave my on-board charger plugged in all winter long (it's actually plugged in ANY TIME I'm not fishing) and this maintains the batteries for a MUCH longer battery life.

If you don't have a on-board charging system, then I would pull the batteries and place them in the garage or basement on a piece of wood (old school)....charge them once a month....set a alarm in you cell phone for once a month or use Gmail calendars that email you.

Now how's that snow blower running....it's that time of the year.... :whistling:

once I have the boat where I want it and I trim the motor down was going to yank out the battery and keep it in the garage. Then I'll throw the tarp on it, and was going to jack it up and rest it on 2x4's. Was thinking about possibly pulling the wheels off as well, and maybe just wrapping the exposed axle in a garbage bag? Is it a bad idea to take the wheels off? I just didn't want them in the snow all winter

Just wondering if you have a boat cover could you build a little a frame over your covered boat and tarp the A frame? I would think this would eliminate condensation concerns as you'd have some air flowing underneath the tarp. Definitely a good idea in your case to pull your batteries, store the motor vertical, treat your gas, and block your trailer. Have you changed the lower unit lube?

I do have a boat cover, and then was going to put a blue tarp over that. The area I'm storing it (east side of house) should be sheltered from snowfall from overhead (wind typically from the west) so I don't think it would get much direct snowfall. With winds swirling around though I would expect snow to accumulate around the tires, that's why I thought I might remove at least one of the wheels (the wheel that would be furthest from the shelter of the house). I have changed the lower unit oil already. Will be interesting. Have had boats for 25 years, this will be the first time storing out of doors

Trust me, from the sound of it you have done everything just fine and you shouldn't have any problems in the spring. Removing the wheels isn't really necessary. If you have jacked it up, you have taken all the load off the tires. They won't suffer any more damage than if you had taken them off and put them in the garage.

Now relax, and quit worrying, you have already done a lot more than most and everything I would do if it was mine!

Misfish is busting your balls..........nothing will Freeze in the gas lines.....

How do you figure ,there yanky bob?

Guess ya missed the :tease:

Just like a 747 eh? :w00t::lol:

Almost time for ice fishing Roger. :good:

Edited by Misfish