NF - frustrating car trouble

ch312

2000 corolla with 110,000kms

when we bought the car, the front passenger tire had about half the tread remaining compared to the other 3 tires. there is a rather loud clunk in the front end when driving over bumps that mysteriously disappeared after getting the car oil sprayed. we both think the clunk is coming from the passenger side, which suggests this problem is what caused the tire to wear much faster than the rest.

took it to a mechanic and he said it's normal, but it's a loud enough clunk that you'd think something is very loose/worn. definitely not a normal sound.

-cv joints have zero play

-struts seem fine as the car doesn't keep bouncing after jumping on it

-both wheels have zero play when i hold sides and top/bottom of tire

-engine doesn't make a clunk when moving it in all directions

-tie rods are tight

the only thing i can find that's even remotely loose is the sway bar, but even then it doesn't move enough to see movement in the bushings.

we're planning a trip to florida in january and i don't want to listen to the clunk over every bump and i'd hate to ruin a new snow tire.

i'm stumped :dunno:

Most of the parts you mention are under load and can not be checked by trying to move them with your hands , the car needs to be on a hoist and checking for movment is done with a pry , , could be a rubber bushing going , could be a strut on its way out , could be a bad belt in a tire ????????? sounds like it needs a second opion from another shop.

Edited by Skipper " D "

My GF had a mysterious clunk in the front end of her 2001 Rav4 (esp over bumps etc),everything mechanical checked out OK.

After 2nd trip to shop it was found that her front bumber had somehow became loose.She was thinking major $$$ but a few turns of a wrench & problem solved.

I also have a 2000 corolla that had a clunk. Check your sway bar links. If you can move them at all with your hand change them. All you need is an allen key(to hold the bolt) and a 15mm wrench to take off the nut. Shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes per side. I didn't even raise my car off the ground. one side I had to grind off one of the nuts. That took a bit longer.

The sway bar links are short rods with a bolt on the eac end, one goes to a flange on the lower control arm the other onto the sway bar. Accessed from behind the rear of the front tires. crank your wheel all the way to one side and check and replace.

EDIT

Also check the sway bar bushings, they are also notorious for going on corollas. Mine were still good. there are two near the middle of the car under the tranny/engine/Steering mount. if they look damaged or you can grab the sway bar and shake it they are gone.

I wish I saw this earlier I litterally just did this this past weekend.

Edited by jedimaster

The snows will be fine. I can't find an all season tire rugged enough for my likings, so I've been running snows all year. I've put 110K on them with no problems, or complaints whatsoever. Great tires, lots of traction, and real good on those dark rainy nights!

S.

Sway bar links perhaps or even the bearings in the strut tower. Look at the engine and tranny mounts as well. If its clunking then theres a problem.does the vehicle drive straight? Is the steering too tight or too loose? Questions to think about.

Or did someone leave a beer can stuck in you suspension system, ive seen it, lol.

The funniest thing ive come across is an engine whistling, a fox 40 hooked up to the exhaust system as a prank.:rofl2:

thanks for all the help guys. i've ordered new bushing and links for the sway bar as it's the only thing with any play and seems like the most common problem.

i took the car for a spin yesterday and the alignment is fine. the clunk is much louder when traveling below 40-50 km/h and it will clunk every time when swerving from side to side at 15-20 km/h.

i still can't understand how mr mechanic said it's normal...

I would say you are into the swaybar links for sure. A mechanic should pick this up. You don't really want your sway bar links letting go. Exact same symptoms as mine had. Do the swaybar links first and maybe you can just return the bushings, if that fixes it. When you swerve one way it twists the sway bar exerting pressure on the sway bar link. if its loose all with any playit will take up the slack, then when you swerve back the other way it will release that slack and you get the clunk. Make sure you put those swaybar links on good and tight. Mine came loose after a day of driving and started to clunk again. You have to hold the bolt with the allen key and use an open ended wrench to tighten or loosen them, you can't use a ratchet. I used a ratcheting box end wrench. 15mm, I can't recall the size of the allen key. soak them good with WD40 or whatever penetrating oil you like for an hour or two to make the remove easier. You don't want to have to get into cutting them off like I did.

Would sway bar links cause premature tire wear? The wife has a malibu 1999 to be exact..The sway bar completely snapped in half. What a bugger to change..OMG, but I dont think it would cause a tire to wear out on one side? Maybe but I dont think so....lol

Edited by tb4me

If it's bad to the point where its binding up or loose it could throw things off kilter during cornering or make things bounce and cause extra wear. However it's possible tire wear and the clunking are two independant issues though. Unless maybe its a strut tower bushing or strut or something like that. YOu shoudl be able to recognize that though by vibrations while driving. a sway bar link won't necessarily cause anything other than a clunking. Either way, if the sway bar link is loose and wiggles around, its toast, replace it, its cheap and easy to do yourself. Then go from there.

Edited by jedimaster