Wanted - Plans for Steel Barge

Millhouse2020

Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting plans to build a steel barge. My hunt club would like to build a steel barge for transporting ATV's and gear to our camp. Any information anyone could share would be appreciated, especially if you have experience in doing so yourself. We are hoping this would be possible for a reasonable cost. I have a buddy who operates a steel company so I could arrange to have it made, I just don't have plans on how to do so in order to give him an idea of whats required.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Millhouse

OK .... I will start this.... first thing first..... what body of water are you building this barge for...... a huge difference between one need for G-Bay and one needed in the tri-lakes....

to many questions that need answering first.

G.

Building a barge requires specifics. Cargo type, load weight,hull draught requirements. There are numerous available plans for military and civilian landing craft and barges. All certified by a marine engineer.

A modified pontoon might be the simpler approach.

Lots of guys on the West coast use landing craft for hunting. They use them to transport their quads and gear to their hunting area and back. Most are jet drives for running in skinny water. Depending on size they will even run them in the ocean.

See one here and more here.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Thanks for the input guys. The body of water in question is a lake, its not large, maybe 6miles long or so. Its narrow and runs east to west. Strangely enough, it can get VERY rough when the wind runs east west.

We plan to transport ATV`s and gear. Typically, we are taking 5-6 ATV`s in to the hunting area. Plus our food and gear for the week for 10-12 hunters. We have been transporting them by boat for some time now but boats are cumbersome and not the safest. Plus it requires multiple trips back and forth. As such, we are looking into other options. We have considered the pontoon boat as well and we are looking at getting one or a pair of pontoons and building one. The barge is simply another option. With my freind in the steel industry, we can get material at cost. However, that being said, between material and labour costs, it may be too expensive an option for our club. We would likely build the unit and leave it at the camp versus truck it in and out, therefore, we don`t want to sink more $`s than necessary into it if we can. That being said, I understand it needs to meet a certain standard of safety and strength to make is useable.

Hope this helps. I appreciate the input. I was interested to see if any members had done anything like this and if they had any details to offer.

Millhouse2020

Lots of guys on the West coast use landing craft for hunting. They use them to transport their quads and gear to their hunting area and back. Most are jet drives for running in skinny water. Depending on size they will even run them in the ocean.

See one here and more here.

Very nice machine. If money were no object, we would get something like this. Unfortunately for us, we need to work on a budget.

Is there any hunting/fishing camps/lodges on this lake???

If so, I'd just start making some phone calls and see if you can pay someone to bring them out for you. IMO it would be much cheaper, faster and more convenient.

My cousin owns a fishing resort, and when it was originally being built, he scored a barge from a friend for a low cost. Nowadays he uses it quite often for these types of things, as well as transporting cabin materials etc. Just ask around if possible

we built a barge this year at the outfitter i work for...we bought 2 x25 foot long houseboat floaters(used and payed per pound what the metal is worth) and started from there..we welded a frame to the floaters and the deck is made with 2x6s...in all the platform is 25feet long and 15 feet wide, does us good now in the spring we can transport our 2500liter gas tanks(2) propane,tractor etc and as a motor we use a 25 hp 2 stroke johnson and she does a constant 4mph

http://jetfloat.com/images/barge.gif

Have you considered using "jetfloats". They can be fastened together; are light weight maintenance free cubes. Military use them for floating trucks across water and helicopter pads.

Not sure how much per cube; but might be a lot cheaper than buying or building a steel barge. You can even install an outboard motor.

we built a barge this year at the outfitter i work for...we bought 2 x25 foot long houseboat floaters(used and payed per pound what the metal is worth) and started from there..we welded a frame to the floaters and the deck is made with 2x6s...in all the platform is 25feet long and 15 feet wide, does us good now in the spring we can transport our 2500liter gas tanks(2) propane,tractor etc and as a motor we use a 25 hp 2 stroke johnson and she does a constant 4mph

Nicely done. This is what we would like to do if I/we can find some pontoons to start with. The other materials would be a piece of cake. As mentioned the barge is simply another option I was looking into but had no plans from which to start. I know plate steel is expensive, probably $0.50/lb for the manufacturers cost at minimum. Then it would need to be cut, bent and welded to specs. Stainless steel or aluminum plate material would be much more cost, don't even know where to start there...

MH i have been involved in building several barges and houseboats. 'advanced pontoons' is a molded pontoon and rail system that can be made to various sizes and easily assembled. the pontoon are in 6 foot sections with middles and bows for the front and rear. you purchase the pontoons and the length of rail you require, assemble, and then build a ladder frame on top. its quite simple. i can get you some pics of the 38' barges we built. check out the website we can discuss further if you like.

the barges and houseboats were checked over by coast guard reps and were given the thumbs up. we beat the tar out of these things...they are indestructible - if you ever manage to trash a section you just unbolt it and replace - a one piece steel pontoon would require dry dock repair...

good luck

Edited by smally21